1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chiropractor...or not

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Jul 5, 2019.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I have seen some of the older threads about chiropractors but wondered if anyone can say that it'd be a waste of time and money or if a chiropractor would do me any good.

So I tweaked my back a couple weeks back. Was getting better and still is better. Anyway, X-rays revealed I have a curve (nothing grotesque, but curvature) in my lower spine.

Do adjustments actually do any good or is this b.s.? It makes me nervous being on a table and having my vertebrae pushed and whatnot, although I can toughen up and do it. But seriously.......b.s. or helpful?

Maybe this is something that might be leaning toward surgery one day (the base of my spine has little space between it and the pelvic bone or whatever that is). One day.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Chiropractors are partial BS in the sense that it's good to get your back aligned sometimes, but they claim to do more than they really do. You don't need to go to the chiropractor on the regular. Aligning your spine is only beneficial if your muscles are strong enough to keep your back aligned. It's more important to do exercises like yoga and other back strengthening and mobility exercises with the occasional trip to the chiropractor to keep things straight.

I'm a big proponent of Physical therapy with someone that really understands how your body is supposed to move.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no...

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

NO.

Every chiropractor: Oh let's take some x-rays. Looks like you have a misaligned back. Shoulder hangs lower on one side. We will need to see you here every week for the rest of your life.

Personal story: i felt some tingling/burning sensation about 12 years ago when I was on the leg press machine (word to the wise: dangerous machine if your lower back bends). I ignored it. For the next few months my back ached. I couldn't drive more than 30 mins at a time. I go to the chiropractor and he said those things I said earlier.
    I went twice and realized it was BS. So I got a 2nd opinion from an actual doctor...a sports medicine doc/neurologist. Did a MRI. I had a ruptured disc (and the burning sensation was the disc fluid leaking onto my nerves). He said there's nothing to do other than rest your back and strengthen your core.

Self treatment that has saved me: I hang upside down to decompress my back. I foam roll 2-3x a week. Cost of a foam roller: 20 bucks. Upside down machine was like 250?

#5 Sajan, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    noscrusir likes this.
  6. droxford

droxford Member

"mis-aligned back" .... what does that even mean? And what makes you think that having them pop your back and push here and there is going to "re-align" your back?

I'm sure it feels good, in the same way that a professional massage feels good. ...And going back repeatedly probably feels good (again, like a massage).

But, if you have back or spine problems, going to a chiropractor isn't going to fix them. Go to a real doctor.

[just my opinion]

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Don’t. Not an evidenced based practice, majority is a sham. They use terminology like that to have long term follow ups.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

A good chiropractor may have a toolbox with other useful techniques that can be extremely beneficial. So in that sense they can be a great resource for recovery. But the adjustment thing....**** no.

9. raj87

raj87 Member

Fact: A lot of chiropractors are Scientologists. That should tell you all you need to know.

IBTL likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I always see Groupons if you change your mind.

My quack advice. See a real doctor to get an idea of the root cause (always be open to a second opinion). If it's chronic hard to diagnose pain, use tens and acupuncture to alieve the pain, and a physical therapist to let the body work and adjust with the pain(def find a good fit here, I'm guessing something in the water is a good idea).

I'm guessing the latter will noticeably help if your back pain comes from repetitive tasks (sitting all day in the office) and not sports/work related injury.

Recent studies have shown properly instructed and consistent exercise is as effective for relieving intensity of pain over time than popping pain killers on those "bad days"

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I went to a chiropractor when I tweaked my sciatica and it worked fine. Overall though, like someone stated earlier, I do believe they exaggerate how much they can actually help you.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No. I've been to a couple and they spoke the same exact story.

Go to an orthopedist or your regular doctor.

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I'm gonna vote yes. I've had very good experiences with chiropractors.

I don't see one regularly, but I'll go see one if I hurt something, and I've had good success.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have a severe milk allergy (not lactose intolerant). I recalled when I was very young that my mom took me to the chiropractor. A few years ago I asked why I was taken to one. Apparently my mom met the chiropractor and convinced her he could get help with my allergies.

They will tell you anything to get you in the door.

CCity Zero and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So... It honestly depends, lower back possibly, but if it's a serious injury then no, I think it can complement PT and other medical methods but I would make damn sure the injury isn't something more than what an xray shows(ruptured disc etc). Also, if the chiropractor you see claims they can cure things by popping joints (ie a common cold), pack up and leave. You want a chiropractor who is working with other Real MDs and is not some crazy, so one that knows the limits and isn't some person who thinks they can cure cancer/repair a herniated disc.

Here's some limited research: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3716373/

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/chiropractic

Again, I'd seriously avoid it if the injury is severe and probably only consider lower spine. Cervical/thoracic adjustment just seems not worth it with all the risks (especially cervical). I personally have had good results with lower, but this was after I tried all conventional methods. I also wouldn't go to one that wants to see you all the time. Also.... I'd only recommend it if insurance covers. You'll know quickly if it'll work (1-2 visits), and while it might be snake oil, I honestly don't care, I seriously went from constant pain in low back barely walking to feeling pretty good, but again this was after doing conventional medical methods. It was near immediate relief too, which was great, and I honestly can't explain it. I have a strong science background and am always going to go the traditional medical route on things that has real research but... I took a chance on my low back and it was worth it, but I only did it because I was absolutely miserable and not getting results from multiple MDs who didn't see anything serious on the xray/mri. I was experiencing essentially lower back spasms and sciatic pain in my right leg.

B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

How many times did you have to go? Haha, I can't even imagine how this conversation went, especially once he couldn't do anything

17. Buck Turgidson

This is a great post, and pretty much mirrors my experience and what I was told by my back doctor and PT several years ago, before I went to a chiro.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. droxford

droxford Member

Yup.... which is pretty much also true for massage therapy, right?

#18 droxford, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I set up an appointment with my physio-whatever who sent me to physical therapy last year, which worked well. Ironic that problems I had then might be related to what I've found now.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, what's interesting is there's even been some research for massage therapy for muscle repair/recovery for athletes (I want to say the paper was detailing recovery after exercising hard and took tissue samples comparing the two - massaged muscle vs non-massaged). I am definitely more on the science side of things and was pretty much willing to try whatever at the time because all the traditional methods weren't working. I always recommend people going to an actual MD(s) first. Especially if it could be something serious and was just stating my experience.

I also agree with you on staying away from some constant alignment plan like you mention or being sold on some miracle plan, this was pretty much a quick reaction I had and it was all I did, roughly a few visits covered by insurance and I had immediate results. I mean it was only $10-15 since my health insurance was covering it.