1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinatown- Houston Residents Have To Meet With HPD About Growing Crime Problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jul 8, 2023.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

https://abc13.com/holam-cheng-shot-...d-lane-robbery-quincy-harold-arrest/13442188/

show Cheng identified Quincy Harold from a photo lineup.

Harold is now charged with aggravated assault, but investigators are looking for more suspects.

"You shoot him once," Ke cried. "Why did you have to shoot him so many times? You want him dead? His hand is almost fallen off. I have run out of tears."

Cheng and his wife immigrated to the U.S. more than 20 years ago. He has always supported his family with restaurant work. The family of five shares a rundown apartment with another restaurant worker to save money and chase the American dream for their kids.

"I'm a citizen, American citizen," his wife said. "And my husband is supposed to be taking his citizenship exam next week. Now, he can't."

The brutal robbery and shooting are galvanizing Houston's Chinese American community to help the family. Social workers are walking the family through possible social services and counseling.

"They just want to make sure there is food on the table, and their children have school and education," Chi Mei Lin, executive director of the Chinese Community Center, said. "They basically tolerate a lot of things."

HPD Executive Assistant Chief Ban Tien said he will be working on a town hall meeting to let workers in the Chinatown area know their rights as well as resources available.

Meanwhile, Harold has his first court appearance Friday morning.

"I hope he recovers well, and those bad guys get caught," Victoria said.

In the meantime, a GoFundMe page has been set up to support Cheng and his family.

What the ABC13 Neighborhood Crime Tracker shows

Data from the last 12 months shows 131 robberies were committed in the Westchase-Woodchase Village-Point West area where the shooting took place.

The area, which is home to about 29,000 people, reported 200 robberies in 2019, 236 in 2020, 204 in 2021, and 165 in 2022.

For news updates, follow Miya Shay on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
    Report a correction or typo
    Copyright © 2023 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.

tinman likes this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When I was in high school Alief started or was in its downward spiral. I don't think of it like I used to, but in the early 90s I thought it was still suburb like it. That being said I thought it starting improving recently. Regardless I don't spend much time in that part of town.

I'm just rambling

I met a Chinese guy while working a temp job ten years ago.and he took me to Chinatown at nigh and I was tripping about how impressive the lights looked on Bellaire. I had no idea it's like that

I worked with some Chinese Americans in my last corporate job another life ago, they were born in China, but I always thought Vietnamese and Koreans when thinking about Asians in Houston. Statistics show it bur Houston is off the charts in diversity

#2 pgabriel, Jul 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    tinman likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Breh
    Have you been to other chinatowns in the country ?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not really

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Houston is the most diverse big city in the US.

https://www.governing.com/community/houston-is-the-nations-most-diverse-city-report.html?_amp=true

tinman and pgabriel like this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

Asian town Katy is blown up, so the Asians with the lexuses and genesis g wagons are up there now. Pretty high end stuff and a huge h mart.
    Less crime, suburbs.

this is the same for other parts of the country where the city Chinatown has created suburb chinatowns.

Houston Chinatown is much better than San Francisco Chinatown. People there will tell you to go to burbs like Milpitas or San Mateo . Cause that’s the natural migration of people with wealth

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The differences between Chinatowns shows that Chinese Americans aren’t monolithic and that there are historical differences between Chinese communities depending on when they got here.

SF Chinatown exist because Chinese were not allowed to live anywhere else prior to the 1960’s they were restricted by things like Red Lining to Chinatown. For those who are fans of the show Warrior it touches on this when Chinese outside of Chinatown are harassed. SF Chinatown is a ghetto that is why it’s so packed and dense. Also the people there had limited economic opportunities.

SF Chinatown’s population is older but also is more originally from Southern China and Cantonese speakers.

The Chinese communities in the South Bay
    In places like Cupertino and Milpitas are newer immigrants who for the most part came here after Civil Rights were passed and ethnic Chinese could live anywhere. They also generally came here already with a higher level education and weren’t restricted in their economic opportunities. Most of them are Mandarin speakers from Taiwan or the PRC. It’s no accident that they are more affluent than the older Chinese population who were restricted in where they could live and work.

In the Bay Area there’s another wrinkle to this. Cupertino has become heavily settled by people from Taiwan and the shopping mall Cupertino Village is basically a small Taipei. Milpitas has been settled more by people from the PRC and there the restaurants and stores cater more to “mainlanders”.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah and the food is better than the overrated tourist trap in the city

Las Vegas has the best China town

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Obviously not as bad as California where there’s racial tension for years

Plus I think the Houston Chinatown owners will get guns , it’s still Alief breh
    Not exactly memorial or river oaks

Again , they built a second Chinatown in Katy so there’s less chance of crime

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When I grew up in Houston over thirty years ago, a friend of my parents ran a convenience store in an urban neighborhood and the wife got shot in the neck during a robbery attempt. It made her voice high pitched and scratchy like a muppet character.

Not sure how we'll resolve uplifting poor neighborhoods and the endemic vicious cycle in those communities but it's not a problem that will solve itself or with a lump sum payment.

tinman likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Well, if there are kids who grow up with no ethics or moral values aka bad or no parenting, this is what happens. The poor kids who have good parents end up going to college and become productive members of society.

the other kids end up like Tupac in the film juice

12. tinman

Supporting Member

@pgabriel
    @rocketsjudoka
    @SuraGotMadHops
    Houston crime is bad , maybe voters should have voted Lina out .
    I got respect for Turner cause I met him at a rockets event in the 90s but the hood areas are still hood and need more attention.
    It’s not as nearly as bad as Chicago but people in Texas aren’t that woke

13. adoo

adoo Member

having lived in LA, and frequented SF/Vancouver/Toronto, visited NYC/Houston/Phila, Montreal, I've been to the Chinatowns in every one of these cities.

the so-called "Chinatown" in Vegas ranks several levels below all the above.​

14. Buck Turgidson

Wait...did someone actually talk up "Chinatown in Vegas"?

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah if you’ve never been then stop pretending you know breh
    @AroundTheWorld

@Kim
    Spring mountain road