1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China vs USA

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by TracyMcgradyMVP, Aug 5, 2008.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Its not. Yao is far better than Howard at every other aspect of the game. Dwight's defense (mainly quickness and lateral movement) is what makes him a star. He's not really all that good on offense, if he wasn't a superior defender than he wouldn't be an all-star.

2. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

According to the after-game interviews, the guard thought Yao was guarded too tightly and they couldn't get him the ball.

3. devin23

devin23 Member

We know thats BS. They just aren't skilled enough or are too scared to make entry passed to Yao.

4. Emma

Emma Member

So , shane battier should be an allstar

5. Tornadoofsoul6

Somewhere, Yao is calling RonRon for some back up.

6. bloop

bloop Member

exactly. people look at Howard's body and automatically think "upside."

Howard has small upside in truth because his ability to expand his skillset is at moron level. After his years in the league you should already see improvements in his footwork and his skills with his back to the basket. All Howard has shown so far is dunk.

looking more cut in the gym is worth jack on the court. what's he going to do? dunk harder? that's still only 2 points. wont help him when he's 7 feet from the basket with the ball and no clue what to do with it. Howard's athleticism is going to decline every year and so far he hasn't shown any development in his game like Shaq did after 3-4 years... and Shaq was FAR from skilled compared to skilled men like Hakeem or Kareem.

7. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

That's called paying with his head up. They have definitely lost by a much better team. But yao pumped his fist when he left the game. Like someone has said, it called leadership. Yeah they knew they had no chance against the Team USA. But they player until the last minute to their home crowd. That's called sportsmanship and courage.

A loser like you in the same situation would dig a hole and crawl into it to hide.

8. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

How amusing that you where the one who originally posted this image.
    [​IMG]

The 'arguments' by both sides are so homeristic that I have little desire to take part in this.

This is just one of the multiple posts I could quote but I have two questions. Who is the best defender in the game? I know the answer, it's Marcus Camby, isn't it? The other one - Chuck Hayes is absolutely worthless and most anyone could do what he does. Right? Right...

9. DaRock1

DaRock1 Member

Forget Ekim. He is a well-know hater (just read his posts before). He said 'embarrassing' when this fool is really the embarrassment of this site.

10. Man

Man Contributing Member

if this were an nba game, i'd be fine with it. like when kobe did it early in yao's career. nba game, sure. it's part of basketball. nate robinson tries it..tmac did it on shawn bradley..yao dunks on ben wallace and theo ratliff and a bunch of other big men. amare dunks over everyone. stevie franchise and baron davis are used to doing it.

but i felt like it was disrespectful for deron to just randomly try it in this game, in the context.
    i think deron felt so too cuz in dead ball after the next play, he went to yao and they slapped hands or high-fived or whatever.
    and i think yao might have felt like i do because the next play deron took it in, yao really went at him and made sure to block the shot with force.

so of course, he had the right to do it, but when i saw it, i felt like it was big time jerk move. i'm biased too though cuz i'm a rockets fan and dislike the jazz. :p

11. devin23

devin23 Member

WTF is wrong with the chinese coach. He wants to injure yao that badly?? God he barely lets him rest. That ankle thing almost gave me a heart attack.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Shaq was big strong guy, not nearly as skilled as Hakeem, Kareem, and even Wilt. I'll even say he didn't have the same skills as David Robinson and Patrick Ewing. He could never shoot, like any of those players could. Most of those players had efficient reliable jump shots when the defenses collapsed into the paint.

Shaq's power was the biggest difference combined with his above average skill and agility. No one in the NBA has really ever matched him in power, he outweighed all of those guys by a good 45 to 60 pounds. The only player I've seen that could give Shaq fits physically throughout the game is Yao.

In most cases, you are not going to overpower someone like that, unless you have this substantial physical strength in you, like some athletes do, such MJ, Walter Payton, Lebron, Earl Campbell and etc.

If players neutralized or out played Shaq is mostly, because of skill, quickeness, and wits. And, wearing him down when he has to play defense.

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It's not hard for me to hear that. I just can't agree with it.

In a year or two, I could certainly think differently.

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Bynum and Oden have a good chance to be better than Howard. Both have offensive game.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

We were discussing Dwight's DEFENSIVE game.

16. ucsd

ucsd Rookie

Love the leadership and passion Yao shown even at end of the game!

17. Porkylicious

Porkylicious Member

Yao > Dwight Howard aka dead beat dad

18. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I got no problem being criticized for what I post or arguing with a dude giving valid points, but don't insult us then act like your too good to reply, while replying. If you don't want to take part in the discussion then don't, no need to be an arrogant ahole.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not if Howard doean't get an offensive game.

He is like Steve Francis...relying on his athleticism...if that goes....he is a marginal player.

DD

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i'm fine with people discussing basketball, but when you get personal with players and their lives, you sound like a loser.