1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chicago Sun-Times] Barrett, Baker call Astros dirty

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Feb 21, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub20.html

BY MIKE KILEY Staff Reporter Advertisement

MESA, Ariz. -- The Houston Astros might have edged the Cubs out of the National League wild-card berth in 2004, but catcher Michael Barrett has news for them: The Cubs were a better team than the Astros last season and will be again in 2005.

Some have contended that Barrett's clash with pitcher Roy Oswalt on Aug. 27 at Wrigley Field served as an emotional spark for a final-month push in which the Astros passed the Cubs to take the wild card. Barrett disagrees.

''If they knew what our team had gone through, [the critics] couldn't say that,'' Barrett said. ''It wouldn't have mattered if it pumped [the Astros] up or not. Our team healthy, our team not going through what we did last year, it doesn't matter how pumped up [the Astros] get. We're still a better team.''

The first chance to prove that will come April 29-May 1 in Houston. The Cubs will be juiced for that trip to Minute Maid Park.

Michael Barrett had a breakout season with the Cubs in 2004. Here's a look at his numbers from last season (134 games) compared with his numbers in six seasons with the Expos, per 134 games:

''Those series will be emotional for me,'' Barrett said. ''I'll probably be a little bit more ready to do what it takes to win those games. I'm comfortable with how I'm going to channel it, but there's a little payback due. All you hear about is St. Louis-Chicago. We have as much to prove against Houston as we do St. Louis. They both finished above us.''

Manager Dusty Baker said last month that the Astros played ''dirty baseball'' by hitting first baseman Derrek Lee in the ninth inning on Aug. 29, the final time the teams would meet.

''They had a pitcher just called up named [Dan] Wheeler do it, that's the bad thing,'' Barrett said. ''It wasn't one of the guys who had been on the team all year. I could see it in his eyes that he was supposed to do something. To hit Derrek, one of the classiest acts in baseball, that was bad.''

Oswalt was ejected Aug. 22 in Houston after hitting Barrett with a pitch. Aramis Ramirez's three-run homer had given the Cubs a 5-1 lead moments before Barrett was hit. Kerry Wood later was ejected for retaliating and eventually was suspended. Oswalt never was suspended.

''Oswalt did something out of embarrassment,'' Barrett said. "That was wrong, and everyone on the field knew it. There were things their team did from that point on -- in every aspect of the game -- that I thought were wrong. They got away with a lot of it, and I'm still frustrated about it.

''If I was a Cubs fan, this is what I'd be upset about: How does Oswalt not get suspended when our guys got suspended for doing a lot less? It wasn't justified, especially to allow Oswalt to pitch the next game against us. It doesn't make sense.''

Barrett said he thinks people judge him unfairly for clashing with Oswalt at Wrigley.

''Had we not had all the injuries and all the things we had, it would have done as much for us as it would have done for them and probably more,'' he said. ''The unfortunate part is that we would have retaliated in a different way if the league had not already suspended half our guys. We would have handled things differently.

''I was the only guy who had a clean slate and the ability to do anything without getting suspended as easily as some guys. It was up to me to take a stand. A lot of people think I did that for my own selfish or personal reasons. I have learned you can't personalize things in this game. We're not going to tolerate that from him or anyone. It's not just an Oswalt thing. We had altercations with [the Cardinals'] Matt Morris when he threw behind Derrek and Corey Patterson.''

Barrett hit .287 and made a strong offensive impact last season. Defensively, he admits he remains a work in progress.

''I had to earn acceptance,'' he said. ''Kerry came up and said some things that were really nice. Matt Clement was a great guy. The whole staff stuck up for me. But I felt I had to prove myself. All most people knew about me as a catcher is that I was a converted infielder. In reality, I've caught more now than anything else professionally. A lot of people still view me as a converted infielder, but in my mind I'm a catcher.

''I still have a long way to go, but from a year ago I think I'm a better catcher. At the end of the year, so much was riding on every pitch. That's when you truly learn -- when there is pressure involved and you have to make the right decisions.''

Barrett said Wrigley raises the stakes in itself.

''The most valuable lesson I learned is not premeditating before a game starts what your pitcher is going to do and what he's not going to do,'' he said. ''Things never turn out the way you expect them to in Chicago. There were times the atmosphere of the stadium changed the whole outcome of the game.

''One crazy play, one pitch the umpire didn't call or something that didn't go right just changed the flow of the game. At Wrigley -- or really anywhere with this pitching staff -- anything can happen. You just go pitch-by-pitch and hitter-by-hitter and do everything you can to find a way to win.

''There were times last year I had a hard time dealing with the situation because I was still thinking, 'Gosh, this guy threw a great bullpen at 97 and 98 [mph], and the team we're playing shouldn't match up well against him, but for some reason they are.' You have to adjust quickly. Opposing teams get geared up for this staff, especially at Wrigley.''

I don't like Dusty and always thought he was overated because no one likes him including players like Sosa, Bonds, Alou, etc. Barrett on the other hand is just a jerk who is trying to create something so he could be famous.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just when I thought I couldn't hate the Cubs more. Here's to the Rocket showing him what dirty really is.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow, I hope he gets BEAMED in his first at bat against the Stros.

I really can't stand this ass. What a fool.

4. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Just one of the many reasons why the Cubs haven't won jack in nearly 100 years.

5. msn

msn Member

Freaking titty baby. Shut up and play.

6. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Barrett is such a lil b**ch.

[​IMG]

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Wow, what a jackass.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Man that pic is classic! Roy is just standing back with a grin on his face. :D

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Edit: I lost my animated smiley. :(

#9 arkoe, Feb 21, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Can somebody recap what happened. I missed that game.

Nevermind.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I knew it, even with Sammy Sosa gone, they are more players that are "juiced". :)

12. kevwun

kevwun Member

I think Barrett should be more pissed at his manager, who's determined to make Mark Prior's arm fall off.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

14. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

''They had a pitcher just called up named [Dan] Wheeler do it, that's the bad thing,'' Barrett said. ''It wasn't one of the guys who had been on the team all year. I could see it in his eyes that he was supposed to do something. To hit Derrek, one of the classiest acts in baseball, that was bad.''

This is what Baker said, but there is also another guy we have by the name of Roger Clements who has ABSOLUTLEY NO problem beaning guys on purpose.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Cubs pucker up and spew sour grapes.....It's one thing for Barret to say this,but Dusty should know better.Maybe he's just trying to pump his team up.Still,I thought he had more class than this.

16. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Leave it to the Sun-times to make something out of nothing (again).

FIRST of all, the only guy who really still has a problem with this is Barrett. Baker had already let it go the week after, citing other things that they needed to worry about more. None of the other Cubs particularly care enough about this, or we would have seen more reaction from them in that final series... as it is, only Barrett acted up (and looked foolish at that).

SECOND of all, the Cubs own announcers and the Tribune at the time lambasted Baker for letting these antics continue. Oswalt was wrong for doing what he did... and he got tossed and suspended for it (one game)... and his team lost that game convincingly. I think that's pretty good punishment for a stupid act on Roy's part. BUT.... Barrett was the one who decided to bring it up again in that final series in Chicago (the one that turned our season around). HE decided to further the altercations, to something that could have just been let alone. The Cubs announcers were all over Barrett, and rightly so... and it just added salt to their wounds that they happened to lose all those games after that.

THIRD.... I cannot BELIVE that he's still touting the "We were a better team then them" crap. If so, why the hell did your team get SMOKED (at home) to the Mets and the Reds... when beating those supposedly "inferior" teams would have gotten you a wild card spot easily. (and, this is the reason why the "We weren't healthy" argument doesn't hold much water... they were all there that final week, and ALL teams had injuries, not just them).

Its easy to talk some smack now, considering that the Astros are weaker than last year... but I'm going to root against the Cubs as much as I can now this season thanks to this jackass. Frankly, I'll get almost just as much enjoyment seeing them fail as I would the 'Stros succeeding.

18. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Wizard of Ozwalt should buy Barret a new brain.

19. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

What a little b****, indeed. This idiot is delusional. Stupid. The worst part is that he says the Cubs are the better team after choking in the last week and finishing third. So, he blames it on injuries; every team has big injuries. What an idiot.

That picture does make me feel better about it, though.

20. junglerules

junglerules Member

How can any of the Cubs speak with both hands gripped tightly around their throats? It's a miracle they can BREATHE!!