1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago moving Crawford to the 2 with hinrich at the 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kmart9419, Dec 4, 2003.

1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Chicaco's Jamal Crawford is a tweener just like Stever Francis, his strength is scoring and not creating. I'm watching the game on TNT and Chicago is doing what many here at this BBS wants to do, moving Steve Francis to the 2 and have a real distributor control the ball. If Chicago and Philly can do it, why can't we?

2. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Yeah I'm watching that game too... Crawford's benefiting from being the two, and I think the comparison is pretty valid, though Steve is much more gifted.

Problem is... where do we find a distributor? We can't just go to K-Mart and pick one up.:D

3. sun12

sun12 Member

Crawford is 6'5 while SF is 6'3
    Jordan is 6'5 to 6'6.

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

How tall is AI?

5. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Well, ok then.

6. kmart9419

What's the big deal about height anyway? Its only 2-3 inches shorter than the average SG. When ppl play mugsy bogues and earl boykins, are these players lighting them up every night? I mean, both players give up to 12-16 inches every night and they can take care of their man. Everybody keep saying Francis is sooo "ATHLETIC", then his athleticism and jumping ability should compensate for his lack of height. One thing is for sure, if we never try it, we will never know. Until then, we'll continue to see ugly ball when Steve is our floor general.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I for one would love to experiment Steve at the 2, but to answer your question....Most SG in this league have the purpose to score and to score a lot, Steve being a little shorter than most wouldn't cause too many problems, but SG's that post up would be a huge problem. Kobe, T-Mac, Finley, Sprewell, etc... would basically have their way with Steve. Francis also doesn't have the rep of playing defense and since most SG score a lot, I don't think JVG would risk it. Bringing in a true PG and move Steve to the SG would help this team a lot I think.

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I say we trade Steve for Hinrich, Eddie Robinson and Fizer.

Hinrich will be a star, Robinson's contract ends in two years plus he has some of the skills we lost when EG went whacko. Fizer is a JVG type guy.

Or we can wait to see if Steve becomes a floor leader. And wait, and wait, and wait... what?... oh sorry, just watch the paint dry.

This sounds like a crazy trade now but by the end of next season Hinrich will be a top 5 PG. He is a leader, he plays great defense, hustles relentlessly, distributes well, drives fearlessly, and is a great shooter from 3pt.

Call me crazy now.

This trade works salary wise if you swap Robinson for Tyson Chandler too. Now there is a good trade.

9. Charvo

Charvo Member

Steve looks strong enough to handle most SGs that want to post up. I doubt he would just get walked over by most of the shooting guards. I'd like to see Mobley guard the point guards just to see if he can.

10. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

you are crazy. there is no way hinrich will be anywhere near as good as steve. that trade is just terrible.

11. kmart9419

Since we are considering moving francis to the SG, then theoretically, boykins is guarding a SG in Francis. I don't see Steve lighting up boykins. I think height is overrated sometimes, especially when its only 2-3 inches. If steve is being post up, we can use a zone on the opponent or we can have ming around to deter opponents from abusing the post.

12. sweetie

sweetie Member

how bout lets trade steve because he cant play D near as good as crawford,or have the size or passing skills of crawford. In fact,id trade francis/mobley for crawford/heinrich right now!!!!

and the reason "we" cant do it ,is because Mobley would b**** and complain about being benched,and then demand a trade. The rockets are VERY reluctant to trade cat because of his contract and steve because I guess he must have some sort of clause in his contract also I guess what other reason could there be? anyways, If we moved steve to sg,wed have to trade cat for a tall pg, I recommended Crawford months ago only to be bashed with the obligory "lets wait to see what JVG does with this roster" and now the window is closed because 1 month ago crawford could have been had,now skiles Loves him. Basically this team is screwed because it was built to beat man to man,then the zones ruined what rudy was trying to build. We need losses to pile up to motivate Cd to trade steve is the best solution long term.

13. egn

egn Member

Although unfortunate, this is also what I would like to see. I want to see the Rockets play well and at a championship quality, but for this to happen it would require players (Francis included) to be moved. And the only way I see Francis getting moved is if we miss the playoff again.

If the Pacers fail short of reaching the east finals or the NBA finals, and the Rockets fail to make the playoffs; I would like to see a Francis +/ for Artest + Tinsley deal.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would love it if we could pry Ridnour away from Seattle, that kid is a smart PG...just what the Rocks need.

DD

15. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

so Hinrich is going to start now for the Bulls?

16. munco

munco Member

Please move Steve to the 2. I think way to much is made of the fact that Steve would be smaller than guys like Kobe and T-Mac. No one in the league stops those guys anyways. Steve is an athletic freak and his athleticism/strength shouldn't make him a defensive liability because of his height.

Ben Wallace is arguably the league's defensive player and he's often matched up against guys that are much taller than he is. What he lacks in height he makes up in athleticism and strength.

I can actually see Steve being a better defender at the 2 than the point. By playing the opposing team's point guard he's usually guarding the quickest guy on the floor and guarding the guy with the ball the majority of the time. Although Steve is quick, the opposing team's PGs seem to get in the point regularly with Steve guarding them.

By guarding the 2 he won't have to be guarding the ball as much and would likely conserve energy on the offensive end. One area that scares me though is Steve getting beat for the backdoor, which seems to happen quite a bit. Nevertheless, I think Steve can guard 2s in league

17. oliver_67

oliver_67 Member

Hinrich was aweful in the first several games of his rookie NBA season, but he has been brilliant in the last two weeks. This guy has made great progress so far. He can distribute the rock, has a solid outside shot, can penetrate (to either shoot or dish), and he has excellent footwook as a defender. Also he has cut down his TOs dramatically. I like this guy at 1 for us while moving SF to 2.

18. farhan007

farhan007 Member

yes, you are right on the money, and i will go as for to say that ofensivly steve has the advantage at sg becasue he will be the second quickest sg(behind AI). Dont you guys remember that sgs are usually slower tan pgs. Francis can easily run past his sg. Do you remember the Lakers game, when at the end Kobe started gaurding him. Steve lawys passed him up and penetrated and made a layup or srew a foul.

19. AGBee

AGBee Member

The play where he iso'ed for 23 seconds at the end of the 76ers game looked like a play out of our book. He nearly lost it, recovered, and got rejected by Dalembert at the hoop. OK, so we might have taken a fadeaway 3.

20. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Steve won't get traded unless they get a superstar in return.... However, I don't think anyone would give up their own superstar for Francis.

Francis won't get traded. You can talk about it all you want, but he is part of the Rox identity for the next 4 years.

When mooch is on the court at the same time as SF, how well does Francis do at the 2????????????

Move Francis to the 2 has been a constant suggestion. I would say that JVG agrees with the centrist views of Clutchfans.... so, maybe he is pondering it?