1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chet Holmgren vs Evan Mobley

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sure, we missed out on Evan Mobley and he does look great, but isn't Chet Holmgren just a taller, longer, slightly skinnier, more talented version of Evan Mobley?

He should be the real target here. As good as Mobley has been, we have a shot at having Green and Mobley, essentially. Hopefully things will work out for us.

This draft seems to be loaded again, and at the very least, we picked a good time to rebuild.

I'm just legit curious to see your opinion on the differences of the games of Mobley and Chet. I may not have the depth of knowledge of some here, but their games seem very similar. And to me, they both fit well with Green and Sengun (and Christopher and KPJ).

#1 Two Sandwiches, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They both suck. Give me Jaden Ivey the next Jalen Green. I'll take 2 Kobes not 2 Sam Bowies

vator, Rockets FTW, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No.

Holmgren is the better shot blocker in college, while Mobley was both a shot blocker and could defend great away from basket. Holmgren is the more efficient scorer while Mobley forces way to rim more to score more.

clos4life likes this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I get what you're saying. I just think from a superficial level, their games are similar. I guess that's why I thought I.D.I.O.T.

For sure Mobley has more of a power game, and can hang more around the basket. I see that as Chet's main focus when he gets to the NBA, though, and I think their games are going to end up being somewhat similar in an ideal world. I just think Chet is either more talented, or has more potential in almost every aspect of the game. And I don't say that lightly, either, because Mobley has looked very good.

Granted, if Chet can't add a bit more weight and learn to good his own in the paint, their games may not end up looking super similar, but I believe they are both on similar career arcs.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet and Mobley are very comparable players on the defensive side. Both can play inside or outside at good to elite levels.
    Chet has the edge inside while Mobley has the edge outside. But there isn’t much of a difference.
    Offensively is where they are different.

Milos likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Chet has the most upside in this draft, Idk why people are trying to act otherwise

all the same talking points used against Mobley are now being used against Chet

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mobley had a pedestrian Post ASB performance though.

Underrated his versatility before the draft.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Chet looks like a poor man's version of the white version of Ralph Sampson.

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don’t watch college basketball - but I am under the impression, that they are not very similar. Mobley is best close to the basket. He is skinny but nowhere near as skinny as Chet. Chet is more of a shooter and overall plays more like a SF.
    On defense Mobley seems to be the better 1 on 1 defender and better on switches, Chet the better run protector.

Overall I would take Mobley over Chet - simply because Chet is a much higher risk with his body frame. But I also believe he has a higher ceiling.

I would be ecstatic if we get Chet or Jabari…

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

mobley's stats and impact are undeniable. but at the same time i can't help but laugh out loud every time i watch this guy hoppin n trottin around in slow mo just like an alpaca. so based on that alone i'd prefer chet.

11. conquistador#11

Tell me you can't add weight.
    [​IMG]

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not even going to worry about it till I see that the Rockets get the top pick. Otherwise, this whole discussion is pointless.

Personally I think the Rockets are absolutely set with EITHER Chet or Jabari.....but if they land the 3rd or 4th pick, they won't be able to get either.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If we are picking #1, I'm taking Chet. I also think Chet could struggle year one. Obviously are fan base has no patience, so we may just want to take whatever player will be more impactful the first 50 games.

14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Houston fanbase deserves Chet….enjoy watching less than 10 points a game from your #1 pick. Do me a favor and watch youtube highlights of Ralph Sampson and then immediately switch over to Chet highlights and then please NEVER compare the two again. I’m proud of everyone wanting a tall player, which is SO desperately needed, but a skinny 190 lb is not the answer. Take Ivey or Smith with the first and a 7 foot legit center with the second pick.

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Isn't Sharpe more like Green than Ivey?

D-rock likes this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Im ok with that as well. But I believe in Chet.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yea. I'm not gonna go compare draft classes. Literally no point.

Assuming we r even in the position to grab chet.

I do think we need a big regardless if our plan is to ship wood ass out.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Ralph played 4 years of college ball. Chet hasn’t completed even one year. I don’t need to watch any highlight videos, because I saw Ralph play in college and in the NBA. I’m not going to compare the two players, because they are different players playing at a different time.

I have my doubts about Chet. But, we have only seen what he is capable of as a FRESHMAN in college. I’m sure he is going to continue to improve over the next few years.

hakeem94 and Ekiu like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say they impact the game in similar values on both sides of the floor at college level, but in different ways.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

I'm not tied to any of the top prospects and I don't think it's fair to assume any of them would have an instant impact on our team success next year.

We are not the Cavs or the Raptors we don't have a list of vets that bring the same level of intensity as Jarrett Allen, Pascal/FVV.

Chet/Jabari/Paolo will all be fine. Ivey has the most potential to move into the top 2 and AJ has some ability too but he has to show more the rest of the tourney.

Chet I get is a freshman with upper classmen but so was Suggs and he asserted himself throughout the tourney stubbled a bit toward the end which may have hurt him.

I feel like Jabari is expected to do less than Chet and people are ranking him higher than Chet because of this.