1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cherokee Nation tells Warren DNA test ‘useless to determine tribal citizenship’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Oct 15, 2018.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I quit claiming whatever American Indian heritage I have years ago. My grandfather swore it to be true, but IDK. At best I think I'm a 64th like Warren potentially is. FWIW, I don't think that is nearly enough to market myself anything other than very white.

Anyone thinking this was a mistake by Warren is wrong. If she ran against Trump, she would be continuously challenged to provide a DNA test (even though there isn't a need for one). Will she still be attacked by Trumpites (as seen in this thread), but had to get it out there to move past it, and early enough to where it won't ****ing matter in 2019 & 2020. Better than 50-50 shot Trump actually would have thrown a DNA test kit at her.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

T
    If they want Trump to stop saying it thats understandable

Its a bihger issue with them using native American names as an insult. Still think Trump was only making fun of Warren and not native Americans.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Trump has perfected the art of marginal victories. His formula is pretty simple. His tactic is to use Zero Sum Game Theory. In order for someone to win against Trump, he requires them to defeat him/prove him wrong. And when they do, he simply ignores the results and claims victory. Most reasonable people would simply walk away from the opponent, knowing they win. As the saying goes, "One dont need to argue if they know they are correct". However the rabid left refuses to walk away and demand him to concede. He uses this to his advantage. He continues to provoke nonsense until someone bites ... and makes an irrational move that ends up tripping them up. For Trump, he has everything to gain and nothing to lose. For his opponent, its the opposite. One misstep and they lose. Marginal victory for Trump. He understands this.

In Warrens case, he kept provoking Warren about her claimed heritage. If she would have just left it alone and ignored it, she would have been fine. However he kept upping the ante and she finally bit. Once the results came in, she could have handed Trump the victory and acknowledged it was much less than she perceived. This would have been a marginal victory for Trump but she would have gained massive respect for acknowledging the misinformation and honesty. Instead she doubled down on Trumps stupid game and insisted her vastly insignificant percentage was enough to claim victory and demanded her 1 million. When the Cherokee Nation told her to **** off, this cemented the deal. Now she is forced to play the game and maintain course she is Native American, whether by semantics or technicality. Regardless, she has lost any chance of being a promising candidacy for presidency.

Off the top of my head, Trump has used these tactics with the NK ordeal, Kavanaugh and his campaign against Hillary. Just stop playing his stupid games.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Warren is Native American because she said so. She wins the "2018 Rachel Dolezal award."

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump apparently does not give a flying f*ck who he offends. It's part of his "charm".

MadMax likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll go with what the various Native American leadership groups think about it.

7. No Worries

I wonder what the above post says about your cognitive abilities.

Warren's DNA test says that she is part Native American. Is that really that hard to grasp?

Just curious.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

She doesnt need to challenge Trump and the DNA test. Yes, there is a large swath of extremist on both sides of the isles, who's ideas and support will not change. However a large part of Americans are very moderate and reasonable. This is why Hillary lost. She refused to campaign and appeal to these people. In her mind, she was the normal sane one and Trump was the crazy one, so therefore all she had to do was attack the 'basket of deplorables' and keep them at bay and cruise to victory.

All Warren needed to do was simply say "My family has always told me I was of Native American ancestry and if a DNA test ever reveals this is not the case, I will stand by the results". But she didn't. She took the DNA results and stood by her original claim, in which most people would acknowledge is not enough to claim any significant ties. If she simply said "The results are much less than I anticipated and will cease making claims". There would be no controversy and this would have been buried.

jcf and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Good to see Mojo discussing the important issues of the day. What a great poster this guy.

No Worries likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I agree with most of this post besides the "rabid left".

Falling for Trunp bait isn't "rabid". It's an ill-advised move.

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It is not clear to me at all that her DNA test actually indicates that. I want an independent, objective second opinion on this. I am certainly not just going to take her word or your word for it.

Is THAT really that hard for YOU to grasp?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What they think and Trump's intent are two different subjects

That being said if they dont want Trump to do it then he shouldn't.

13. No Worries

Warren saw your argument coming ...

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Which would not include anyone that she picks or you pick.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Lindsey Graham: I’m taking a DNA test to see if I’m more Native American than Elizabeth Warren

Just one wrinkle: What if his test comes back showing that he’s actually less Native American than Warren is? That would help her save face after yesterday’s disaster by letting her claim that she’s at least a smidgen more native than her Republican antagonists are.

Graham doubtless views it as a low-risk gamble, though. After all, it’s basically impossible to be less Native American than Elizabeth Warren.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Orrin Hatch weighs in:

mick fry likes this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except why would anyone care whether or not Graham is more or less. Either way it proves nothing. My wife and I were both born and raised in the United States and we are both less Native American than Elizabeth Warren.

Why does it matter?

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

If it doesn't matter, then why do you care?

19. Space Ghost

We dont need a second DNA test. We never needed a test in the first place.

MojoMan likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Except, the results aren't really much less. Being potentially 1/64th is really what she would have expected based on the family stories she has said. It may be that she is even farther off, but it isn't like she acted like her Grandmother was 100% Cherokee.

She never should have been listed as a minority by Harvard or identified as an American Indian. By the time you reach too many generations to have known any family member that actually was 100%, you are too far down the chain.

Space Ghost likes this.