1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chapter 5: The Green Revolution Falls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There's not a lot that needs saying about where we are. As we pick up the pieces of the most brutally bad 3 years in Rockets history, we also pick up the pieces of a season that started with so much hope.

Jalen has to take his fair share of blame for where we are. After all he proclaimed our backcourt one of the best in the league, then proceeded to be one of the least productive starters in the league. His defense and character have come under heavy criticism this season and rightfully so. It's time to see what Jalen is all about.

There are some factors that have put unexpected pressure on Jalen's game and the alleviation of those factors after the season will boost Jalen's game before he improves anything. One of those things is that we have the dumbest starting line up in the league. Literally, they are all young and dumb and that makes things a nightmare. One of the things it destroys is spacing. Another thing it destroys is getting the ball in the right hands at the right time. Another thing it destroys is team defense. These things are bad on our team by design - that's how we're tanking. We're tanking by giving as few minutes to defensive anchors as possible, and as few minutes on the ball to our best floor generals as possible. If the brain of your defense and the brain of your offense are damaged, everyone is going to suffer. That's exactly what's happening. Almost the entire roster is shooting below expectations this season.

One of the big wins for this season that almost makes this season salvageable is Jalen's frequency of going to the line. I will argue with you all day about it: people who go to the line a lot when they're young are almost always successful in the NBA. This is a rarer talent to have/acquire than 3pt shooting of finishing through contact. With added strength over the years, Jalen looks to be a one of the league's juggernauts at the line and that tends to be a floor-raising quality in stars.

The big thing Jalen is discovering is he can make a highlight reel but a highlight reel doesn't make a win. The way those stats translate to wins is through defense and sharing the ball. It's very simple. He has to look in the mirror this summer

With 17 games to play, let's see if Jalen can take a step up and put 17 games together where he scores and gives effort on defense consistently. I have not changed my mind at all about Jalen Green. I believe that he will be a 30ppg scorer in this league on very good efficiency. He is one of the quickest players I have ever seen in my life and sometimes it takes time to harness that energy. A 24 year old 205lb Jalen Green with a slightly tighter handle is going to be a nightmare for defenses. I believe it was destined that he should be humbled this season and understand that the NBA is no joke.

In this new chapter, we see what Jalen is made of when the team is falling apart.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Meh, I’m going to go with it. I still think Green is doing pretty darn well, all things considered. How many guards who averaged 22+ points at 20 yrs old went on to have poor careers?

#2 Houston77, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

too early for chapter 5 imo.

I have seen improvement this year, its just not a huge leap like some wanted or expected.

rebuilds are tough on fans

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Looking marginally closer to Corey Brewer all the time, keep working Jalen!

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Still better than 90% of the garbage threads on CF.

Roomba, napalm06, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, hence why I edited, haha.

i3artow i3aller and xaos like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

One and done players who join at 19 usually have their big jump in their third year.

34to11, Mathloom, Roomba and 10 others like this.
  9. MystikArkitect

No player under 23 years old should be taking any blame for this abomination.

10. BigMaloe

oh yeah for sure, i expected a similar end to last year but even without that i think its obvious next year hes gonna be a force on offense. when your the guy, especially at a young age on a terrible team amidst a rebuild, defense just isnt as important as developing weapons to try and be a #1 scorer

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

James Harden will have this dude looking like an efficient supercharged Maxey

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

34to11, Caesar, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  13. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

The worst I can think of is Jerry Stackhouse.

Wrong, Tyreke Evans.

Andre0087 and napalm06 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. BigMaloe

MorningZippo likes this.
  16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

The next chapter won't be written until Silas is gone.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Good seeing you posting again...seems like you were AWOL for a while.

DeBeards, Easy, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Jalen's like 15 years old and scoring 22 ppg in the NBA -- everyone needs to chill.

Andre0087, apollo33, Mathloom and 9 others like this.
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Please let @Jontro start the Chapter 69 thread. I’m looking forward to it.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

reke never averaged 22, stack didn't do it till age 25

Tuckmose and MorningZippo like this.