1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons and defensive ceiling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chuck04, Mar 21, 2012.

?

How good can Parsons become on the defensive end?

1. Will be Defensive Player of the Year at least once

15 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Will make All Defensive First Team more than twice

25 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. Will make 1-2 All Defensive First Teams

19 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Will make All Defensive Second Team more than twice

21 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Will make 1-2 All Defensive Second Teams

25 vote(s)
    9.9%
  6. In the discussion for All Defensive Team but won't make it

45 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. Not even close to making All Defensive Teams

103 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Having not been able to watch any of the Rockets game this season, this poll is essentially base around around what I've read from media outlets and also from peoples opinions here.

So question is how good of a defensive player do you see Parsons becoming?

A potential defensive player of the year? Will make the All-Defensive teams? Or he's over-rated defensively?

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He is already all-defensive team level, and if Kobe is a benchmark for all-defensive first team then Parsons should be on the all-defensive first team.

But considering how media/superstar driven this league, Parsons might never make it in first team in his career though I'd say he will make it in the second team at least once in his career.

Though I have to say Parsons is already way under the radar even as a rookie. I mean Norris freaking Cole gets in the rookie team over him, mainly because he gets the Miami hype.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

All defensive teams generally requires a lot of team success or being a good offensive player also. Otherwise, no one notices.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think he will get a few second teams, but first team will be difficult as long as Lebron is still interested in playing D.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Same as Battier. Without tangible stats (such as steals or blocks) or a prestigious team to soak up national hype, he won't be making any all-defense teams anytime soon.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Parsons' ceiling is the Dirty Bruce Bowen with a Basketball.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I look forward to bringing this thread up in 12 years to expose everyone who didn't choose the 1 option out of 7 that I think is most likely. Oh wait, it's not a public poll. ****!

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tayshawn Prince

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Correct. This is why Shane Battier never made it to the first team. This is why Parsons will never make it, either. It took Battier a very long time to even get noticed as a defensive stopper on wings. I liken Parsons' fate to his.

It's stupid, but it's how it is.

10. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

This one.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I voted onhow he will play up to. He wont make that many teams on defense unless the Rockets start to win bigger. He will deserve to be there and others wont. Such is the NBA usually.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If he's really good, he'll be a wall, not a ceiling.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Mario Elie's another example.

All defensive teams rarely reward the most deserving.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Great example! Mario was a straight bulldawg!

15. VBG

VBG Member

Right now Iggy and Lebron are the best wing defenders by a solid amount IMO

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I think he is going to have a similar career to the same guy who wore the same number 25 for the Rockets. Robert Horry, who was also a terrific defender in a different way, and who was solid offensively but never was that go to player we all wanted him to be. Both play/played very poised when the pressure was on. If he could live up to that he would start at SF for many years for many teams.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He's a less intelligent version of Battier. I don't mean that as an insult, Shane is just crazy smart. Parsons is already one HELL of a defender though.

18. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

After a few losses, you guys will be saying parsons isn't a great defender at all. That is just how this forum works.

...and I love Chandler parsons

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

He isn't overrated in his defensive ability. He can be among the best.

That said, keep in mind that there are many, many defensive stoppers in the NBA. But many of them are very unknown and don't play a major role. Heck, just look at the number of very good wing defenders that passed through the Rockets organization over the past years: Battier, Batum, Artest, Ariza, Lee. t's much easier to find someone comparable to Parsons on D than finding someone comparable to a top 5 offensive player. So in that sense he may be overrated. But the guy can lock up his man no problem.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Chandler Parsons is already in the top 5-6 swing defenders in the league. I expect him to get better defensively as he gains confidence and gets more calls. Having said that, people need to keep in mind that defense, both team and 1 on 1 comes down to match ups. There will be certain one on one battles he will struggle with.... just how it goes.