1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD: Fegan meeting "encouraging"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 27, 2001.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Meeting with Olajuwon's agent called encouraging
    By BRIAN McTAGGART
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson and Dan Fegan, the agent for Hakeem Olajuwon, will talk again today after meeting for more than an hour Thursday in Salt Lake City.

Dawson, in Utah to watch the Rockets at the Rocky Mountain Revue, said he and Fegan had a productive meeting at a Salt Lake City hotel, but were no closer to striking a deal to keep the free-agent center in a Rockets uniform.

"We hashed over some more things, and we're probably going to talk (today)," Dawson said. "Nothing bad (happened), but nothing was done. But it's going along good."

Olajuwon, who has spent all 17 of his NBA seasons with the Rockets, has turned down a two-year contract offer from the Rockets and has drawn interest from no less than a half-dozen other teams.

Dawson wouldn't go into specifics of the negotiations with Fegan, but he said the meeting went well.

"We're both encouraged because we're going to keep trying," Dawson said. "I'm going to do some stuff and he's going to do some stuff, and we're going to get back together (today). We're trying to get it where both parties are happy, and that's all you do in negotiations."

Dawson said the focus of the talks was on Olajuwon, 38, returning to Houston and not about a possible sign-and-trade deal with any of the teams -- Toronto Raptors, New York Knicks, Indiana Pacers, Utah Jazz, Cleveland Cavaliers and Miami Heat -- interested in the 12-time All-Star's services.

"We're not to that point yet," Dawson said. "We're still talking about getting him signed with the Rockets. That's the only thing I'm interested in."

Although no deadline for getting the deal done was set, Dawson said both sides want to resolve the situation as soon as possible. The Rockets are holding off signing any of their other free agents until they sign Olajuwon or renounce his rights.

"It's crazy not to want to get this done," Dawson said. "That's what it's all about."

Fegan couldn't be reached for comment.

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Isn't that illegal!!!!!

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know what.

I am convinced that Dream will NOT play anywhere else.

He has his entire family in Houston, he has all his businesses in Houston.

I think this is all just huffing and puffing, and he will ONLY play in Houston.

Personally, I would not mind seeing him leave. I do not think he has been playing with passion for the last 4 years.

He moped around for most of last year, and then when he finally DECIDED to try they started winning.

Dream can still play, but he HAS to take a back seat.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

4. forthree

forthree Member

i was watching the news at 10....and they had a interview with CD... and it did not sound encouraging at all...he actually sad that time is running out and they might have go in another direction........

------------------
    <<..........>>

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

as in offer more money for hakeem. Thats the direction.

------------------
    "The girls danced, started fondling me, I got aroused, they performed oral sex," Ewing said. "I hung around a little bit and talked to them, then I left."

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

That was channel 13 and the rebroadcast starts about now. The sports segment should be on at approx 1 am.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Dream threads!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Get outta here!

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

....just a reminder that the time draws near.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Dream threads!

9. Band Geek Mobster

I taped the CD interview and here's the best transcript I could give for his call...

"It was going pretty good. We're trying to find more money, he was looking at his other options talking to other teams, so we were both occupied at the same time. I've come to the point, I'm just about there where I can't find anymore money. He's looked at all of his options now, so he's either going to have to take our offer. If he won't do it, then he's going to talk a sign and trade next, and if we don't do that, then we're just going to have to renounce him."

Pretty depressing call...

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

[This message has been edited by Pete Rose Mobster (edited July 27, 2001).]

10. Colby

Colby Member

Will something please happen. Where's the Doc Rocket trade?

------------------
    T-Pooh and BahDakota went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Forward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

11. forthree

forthree Member

the interview baically say "HURRY UP HAKEEM AND MAKE UP YOUR MIND"!!!!

Hakeem a Raptor?
    Hakeem a Rocket?

[​IMG]

------------------
    <<..........>>

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Thanks fortree and Mango and Pete,

I caught the replay just in time. He does sound depressing, like he's trying all he can and just wishes Dream would accept the offer or something. I was of the opinion of not caring if Dream left, but after watching some Classic Dream on ESPN Classic the last couple of weeks and today, I don't know what to think. It's depressing me too.

------------------

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This thing will be over and done with in less than a week, mark my words.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

14. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

did anyone by chance record any of the classic dream stuff off tv? I would like to get my hands on any of it.

------------------
    houston rockets = 2
    utah jazz = 0

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

chevious,

I recorded the from the 2nd quarter til end of the Jazz game 6. After that, it's the 3rd quarter of the RMR game and 1st half of the 4th quarter, then the tape runs out. It's no problem for me to send a copy to you if you pay for the shipping and blank tape, but I'm not sure if this is the best stuff to have on file. Mainly cause it ain't the whole game, and also because it's a very depressing day, for me at least, in Rockets history.

Still, watching Dream and Chuck and Glyde kicking ass is pretty cool. You know the Rocks had a 96-86 lead with less than 3 minutes left in that game? Oh man, I still can't get over it. Rudy T never should've taken Eddie out, never should have let Stocken rip their asses the last 3 mins for 11 points or so, and Glyde though he was having a great game never should've taken that shot so soon. Man, the game just replayed again. I'm still sad. [​IMG]

------------------

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether it is true or not is another story, but one of the announcers at the game on ESPN2 tonight said that Dream had some family in Toronto.

------------------
    Well, I'm your man. I'm the bloody b*stard you wanted when you had me spawned. I'm your tool, and what difference does it make if I hate the part of me that you most need? What difference does it make that when the little serpents killed me in the game, I agreed with them, and was glad?

-- Ender Wiggin

17. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

If it means anything, Rudy and CD looked very upbeat at tonight's game. Rudy was even smiling a lot, which is pretty rare for him...

They were having some animated discussions... but looked pretty happy...

(even pencil drumming to the backstreet boys... what is THAT?)

Probably nothing, but you know... useless inside information is fun...

[​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

18. Flutie

Flutie Member

Dream has family in Toronto? I know Mutumbo has sisters in Toronto but I didn't know Dream had any...

------------------

19. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I see S&T's coming this summer. That seems to be the best way for all the FA's to get the most money they can at this juncture of the CBA. The Rox seem intent on signing all our FA's and we end up with 15 on the roster. Last year we didn't keep anyone on the IR at the start of the year, and I see the same this year.

The talk of packaging Cato, KT & Shandon seems very plausible to me. It is a nice package even if Cato is in there.

------------------

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I caught the ABC rerun of the news too. CD did sound really depressed.

Thanks for that heads up, Mango.

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.