1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Caution] Dragic's Rise VS. Collison's Rise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Back in 2009-10 season, when Chris Paul went down, Darren Collison went from a solid bench player to a starter that had all-star potential. I recall many here at clutchfans wanting him and thought that he was already a top 10 PG. Here are the stats from Collison's rookie season and Dragic's 4th season

Collison's Stats [starting in 37 games]

Min: 40.3; FG: 48.5%; 3 Point: 42.9%; FT: 85.2%; Pts: 18.8; Ast: 9.1; Stl: 1.4; TO: 4.1

Dragic's Stats [starting in 18 games]
    Min: 36.6; FG: 51.6%; 3 Point: 42.5%; FT: 82.6%; Pts: 17.9; Ast: 8.8; Stl: 1.9; TO: 2.9

As you can see, these stats are very similar. You can even make a case that Collison's was much more impressive due to the fact that he was only a rookie and it was in twice the amount of games. I just wanted to show how such a small sample size may not be an accurate way to judge talent. Don't get me wrong, I still think that we should pay AT LEAST market value to keep Dragic, since it's better to get something for Lowry than to lose Dragic for nothing. Also, Dragic has better long term potential due to his size and defensive advantage, so it's even less of a gamble. I put his price tag right now at 5 years $50 million, but I'd even go up to 5 years $60 million given the circumstances. Please keep in mind that we will not be able to sign any FAs as good as Dragic in the next 2 years, so even if we have to overpay a little, it's definitely still worth the price tag.

1 person likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Collison: 6'0" 160lbs, rookie, completely unproven in every way, lacks explosive athleticism or good size for the NBA
    Dragic: 6'4", 180lbs, fourth year man, proven quality PG, proven in playoffs, ideal physical tools for the PG position

People keep making this comparison and it's still idiotic.

Stop making this comparison.

2 people like this.
  3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Some of those numbers will go down. I doubt he will keep up the 40%+ three point shooting rate and 50FG%+.

But even if those numbers go down, he is still starter quality because he impacts the game in multiple ways, like Lowry.

I'm just hoping he comes back down to Earth soon so his value would stop inflating, but then again he might never do that because he puts up incredible numbers as a starter.

Dragic is an interesting fellow. He looks like a bench player when playing off the bench, but he looks like an all-star when playing as a starter.

1 person likes this.
  4. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's idiotic is the fact that you failed to read my post and just replied. This is what I said. "Also, Dragic has better long term potential due to his size and defensive advantage, so it's even less of a gamble."

I just wanted to point out a small sample size is a dangerous way to judge talent. That's all.

1 person likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Morey said from the very beginning of the season that the Rockets have two starting caliber PGs, Lowry and Dragic... he has always been a starter in this league. Even when coming off the bench he was playing good enough to start on a lesser team, IMO.

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Dragic is 6'2 tops...

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's listed 6'4" on DraftExpress, Basketball-Reference, and other places. 6'3" on NBA.com. Regardless, he's much bigger than Collison. He has a big wingspan for his size too.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I agree, that's why I was ecstatic when we somehow managed to get him and a pick for Brooks.

It's just peculiar the way Dragic is performing. Lowry's rise was more expected because he was making a huge impact off the bench and the team was much worse without him on the floor.

If Dragic plays up to the level of the role he is given and expected of, perhaps he should try being president.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Too bad he wasn't born in the US, we might have the next Abe Lincoln on our hands

10. cod

cod Member

Collison is the 4th/5th option on offense in that Pacers starting lineup. Granger has a playmaking role and runs PnR too.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Caution is fine, but Dragic and Collison are two different players. Being 6'4 with the handles and Manu-esque ability to change direction and hit pull up shots make a world of difference.

12. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

It's crazy how Dragic has elevated his level of play since he started, in the beginning of the season he was forcing the issue to much and couldn't hit a 3 to save his life.. now all of a sudden he's completely turned himself into a quality pg, I honestly didn't see this coming but now that I see it I hope he can keep this up and I hope stays with the team after this season.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

His three point shooting always starts off slow and warms up as the year goes on. Dunno why, but that was what happened last season as well.

He wasn't working well within the flow of the offense in the first 10 games because nobody was... new coach, no training camp.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It doesn't matter how Collison and Dragic are different players with different bodies, the point stands and is a worthwhile one to make: you don't judge ANY player based a sample size of even half a year. Sure, Dragic has improved, but we really won't know what his new baseline is until he starts to do it next year too. Lowry's shooting numbers from outside bumped up significantly, but it wasn't until he replicated them at the beginning of this year that I felt safe in saying that it was a permanent change.

Collison should be a word to the wise that, even though Dragic is continuing to improve, we shouldn't jump the shark here and just proclaim him a multiple-year all-star for the next decade. If I'm Morey I do what I can to keep him, but if someone is going to offer >10M per year, I let him go. PG is too deep in the NBA now, and it's just too easy to find someone who can give you quality play out of the backup PG role to justify putting >16M into one position unless a superstar is included in the equation.

15. cod

cod Member

Collisin is better than what people here seem to think. His numbers on the Pacers has more to do with personnel and role.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Did all of you forget what Dragic did with the Rockets last season?

2010-11 with HOU, stats per 36 Minutes
    17.7 PER
    16.2 PTS, .604 TS%, .472 FG%, 5.2 AST, 2 TO, 5.3 RB

It's not just this year. He was very good with us off the bench last season as well.

17. lean

lean Member

Maybe but 6'7 wingspan and 37' vert so he plays even bigger.

18. lean

lean Member

37" **

19. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Ran into him at the movies. I'm 6'2". He's taller than me.

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

"He's not 200...he's probably 190, but he's a young kid. I think he's a legit 6'3" / 6'4"...6'3.5" I think he was measured at. Long arms, I think 6'7" wingspan...6'7.5" (after being corrected by his scout)". - Steve Kerr on Draft Day 2008

#20 ClutchCityReturns, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012