1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cason Wallace

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MadMax, Jun 12, 2023.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There's a thread in the NBA Draft forum about this guy..but he's my prize in this draft outside of Wemby and Scoot. I don't need a guard we swing the ball to they leave wide open only for him to shoot around 30%. Not interested in that again. Basketball is a skill game...consider who is wrecking shop right now in the playoffs.

I want Cason as a Rocket, but I'm sure we'll **** it up.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That'd probably feel like a slap in the face to TyTy. But TyTy did look like crap last year, so it's not unjustified.

theDude likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Cason is my third-favorite pure guard in this class after Scoot and Amen, but I do think his best-case outcome is somewhere around the production level of guys like Jrue Holiday, Goran Dragic, Mike Conley, Dejounte Murray. He'll probably never become a superstar, but might sneak into an all-star game or three at his peak.

If we don't end up with Amen or Scoot I would try to get into a draft position to pick him. But I think there's a very high chance we're just going to pick Amen Thompson, who is less safe but definitely has more superstar potential. In which case I don't know that we need to add a fourth young guard to the roster.

groovemachine and Caesar like this.
  4. MadMax

I don't really care much about what the guys on our current roster think. And I say that as a big TyTy fan, but Cason is way different than TyTy.

Caesar likes this.
  5. MadMax

Jesus, I'd kiil for a Holiday or Murray on this roster, much less out of this draft! I'm not sure who you think we have already that is at that level.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

That's his best case though... no guarantee he gets there.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If this is how you think players look at it, we wouldn't be able to draft at literally any position lol, our entire team is recent draft picks.

8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Leave it to the Rockets to get the one Kentucky guard that DOESN'T outperform his draft slot in the pros!

Unfortunately with TyTy his main problem is that he's just not very athletic at all!

I'm an Anthony Black guy though.

Imanimal likes this.
  9. MadMax

I have no guarantees about much of anything for a team that's just been historically awful over the last 164 games. I'd be pumped if we ended up with Scoot, but that seems terribly unlikely.

Caesar likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Cason and Black were probably two of the top guards from Texas when they both came out. Kind of fitting if we end up getting one of them. Or maybe not. lol.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think players do look at it this way, but I don't think that should dictate what the organization does.

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Agreed

PG - 2022 - TyTy Washington Jr
    SG - 2021 - Jalen Green
    SG - 2021 - Josh Christopher
    SF - 2020 - Kenyon Martin Jr
    SF - 2022 - Tari Eason
    PF - 2021 - Usman Garuba
    PF - 2022 - Jabari Smith Jr
    ..C - 2021 - Alperen Sengun

So to balance it all out drafting a Point Guard and a Center would do the trick.

Does this roster look good to y'all?

PG - 2022 - TyTy Washington Jr
    PG - 2023 - Cason Wallace
    SG - 2021 - Jalen Green
    SG - 2021 - Josh Christopher
    SF - 2020 - Kenyon Martin Jr
    SF - 2022 - Tari Eason
    PF - 2021 - Usman Garuba
    PF - 2022 - Jabari Smith Jr
    ..C - 2021 - Alperen Sengun
    ..C - 2023 - Dereck Lively II

Trading the #4 Pick to Orlando for #6 and #11 would get those two for sure.

#12 Rokman, Jun 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    No Worries likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

99ers are an intelligent breed. I've been saying this all along. Cason and his defensive potential is the best backcourt fit next to Green outside of Scoot. We can potentially draft a starting SF at 4(torn b/c i love Tari want him to start), and trade up for Cason as your starting PG. Build chemistry and grow together and profit. The patient in-house, 'Made in Houston' road to success.

Scoot won't fall to 4. He's not an option.

Lively has played himself too high for a trade up IMO. No way he slips past Dallas and no way we can trade ahead of Dallas with the 20. Cason is a realistic trade up from 20 option. The only way you can get Lively is trading down from 4 and reaching on Lively around 6-9. I'd be more comfortable with that if Bari showed more promise as a full time SF. At least with the #4 and taking someone like Miller, Cam or Ausur, they can each create or handle more advanced than Bari could playing the 3.

Unfortunately, Tilman is likely going the short sighted route with all this old star chasing for some relevancy and playoff profits. Going to laugh if the Lively crowd get their wish and we reach really high on him, but as a lob guy for the Harden signing and Alpy and KPj are sent packing.

MadMax likes this.
  14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

TyTy never got a fair run because of the Nix fiasco. He could be a great backup point in a year or two.

Amel, Yung-T, Mathloom and 1 other person like this.
  15. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The problem is he’s a late lottery pick, and would it be worth it to move up for a backup point?

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do like that they are all our own draft picks, and all first rounders in a three year span, but let's be real.. nobody can draft that good. Some of them will be duds.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I agree that amen is a risk. he's got some bust potential. whitmore seems like the next best option, but I really believe in tari as a starter and don't want to bury him behind whitmore and jabari.

a PG would be perfect but Cason, black, Hood-Schifino are not the same tier as amen/whitmore. we'd have to trade down for them and pick up additional assets. that's the opposite of what we should be doing. we need to consolidate assets into higher tier players.

so as much as I like Cason, we should choose between amen and whitmore. then look to consolidate other assets.

18. MadMax

I don’t know, I’m telling you who I hope we end up with.

Deckard and groovemachine like this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Supposedly this guy shut down workouts with a promise from either the Wiz or Raptors. If we trade back with Orlando Wallace is one of the guys I’d target with #11, but looks like he could go as high as #8.

there is one elite point guard prospect in this draft, and Black is a Giddy-level or higher point guard prospect. Wallace is probably just below that. So three good point guard prospects not counting Amen, who frankly is more developmental than those other three. The rockets need a point guard. This is definitely the draft to address that issue.

I’m a BPA guy, but I like the point guard prospects this year.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Wallace shot 32% on open 3’s.

Having said that, I like Wallace.