1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Gomez - Are we concerned?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I really do hate him. But when I hit the HR yesterday I stood up and cheered loud in Minute Maid... after saying I would never cheer for him again.

I love Houston, so I guess I can't 100% hate him.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dKSJN3WWR3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Official Carlos Gomez CF account

1 person likes this.
  4. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

lol wondering when that would come up

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gomez RUTHLESS <a href="https://t.co/L1ziE0dth7">https://t.co/L1ziE0dth7</a></p>&mdash; People's Intellect (@RocketIntellect) <a href="https://twitter.com/RocketIntellect/status/740339496579936256">June 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=783331283&topic_id=47150552&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Loathe the guy and the way he acts, just a twit. Cannot wait until he's released. I can't even stomach watching his at bats. Bloop single and his antics are cringe worthy.

8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I have a humble request for those with photoshop/video-editing/gif skills.

Could somebody please please please somehow merge/photoshop Gomez's bat-twirling after his swing (starting at the :04 mark) with Corey Brewer's monopoly guy gif from a few years ago.

I mean, if we have to have guys that are basically universally loathed by their respective fan bases, we may as well have a little fun with them right? If we'd get just one smile out of it, it would be totally worth it. Please and thank you in advance!

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

For now, he's an Astro and he's playing.

Hope you're not actively cheering against him while he's batting and playing defense.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I said I don't watch when he bats. I want what's best for the 'Stros as much as anyone else, so no I don't root against him, I ignore him. The way he acts it's no wonder other teams roll their eyes at the guy. It's not funny or entertaining.

1 person likes this.
  11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Not great, and obviously a small sample size, but considering the poop show that he was before his DL trip, it's.... progress, I suppose.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This could not be any more meaningless, but I'm grasping. Gomez, since return. <br>.238/.333/.571. <br>That'll play.</p>&mdash; Aaron Ashcraft (@Aarcraft9) <a href="https://twitter.com/Aarcraft9/status/740559930768396288">June 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#271 tellitlikeitis, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  12. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I take those numbers, walk, power and defense, i am ok with that

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Gomez

vs LHP .333 avg, .405 on base, .921 OPS
    vs RHP .147 avg, .275 on base, .434 OPS

Not huge sample size, but for now Gomez should be in the lineup against all LHP.

He should not however, be playing against RHP. If he is in the game vs a lefty and they change pitchers, depending on game situation you could leave him in to get some at bats vs righties to see if there is any hope. But for now, vs RHP Springer, Rasmus and Kemp should be the OF. Jake is just as bad vs RHP as Gomez, Kemp has showed a pulse in a small sample size but i'd rather see more of him and less of those two vs righties right now

14. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

His first three AB's last night looked great. Granted his struck out in his 3rd AB but he looked like he was under control and not all over the place. Then his last AB happened. I know he got a walk but he just looked out of control and started swinging only for the fences.

I'm probably in the minority but I love the way he acts. Especially when he slides into a base and then pops up like he's getting onto a surf board.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wish he'd scale back the antics a little, but I mostly like his style.

He needs to stop swinging so hard in certain situations and be smarter on the bases.

He's got some screws missing. Hitting his helmet at each base during his HR trot :grin:

He mainly just needs to play better and more fans accept him..

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I've noticed a slight change since he has been back. He looks more focused, like he is more interested in what is going on around him. The effort seems better. He's still a tool and I wish we had something better, but the talent is there. Maybe he will come around. Who knows?

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fockassed for sure.

Patient/seeing the ball really well up there....

Glasses/contacts situation coincided with his "awakening".

And he's finally healthy.

Playing with confidence.

#277 Plowman, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  18. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

If he keeps hitting like this for another week I wouldn't be opposed to moving him to the 2 hole. Would much rather have him there than Marwin.

19. Buck Turgidson

I'd bat him 6th and leave him alone. He'll hit or he won't, he could sure change the offense if he did.

20. Airdough

Airdough Member

In the two-hole he'd be Derek Bell reincarnated.