1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Gomez - Are we concerned?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

I am concerned. That Gomez will return.

2. vince

vince Member

Team has been playing a lot better with him gone. He is too much of a hot dog that distracts the focus of the club.

3. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

It could be a coincidence that we have played better while he has been away. There is no real way you could ever prove his mere presence has any impact one way or another.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

And we are 7-5 without him, so yea it's "better" but not like we all of the sudden became some instant powerhouse once he left

Reality is the best thing that could happen would be for him to come back and perform to his ability, though that is not very likely

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Then we should trade them all because they are a bunch of mentally weak individuals. Carlos Gomez is clearly the reason the pitching staff has been so awful for most of the season.

The offense isn't doing better without him.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kemp and Marisnick are both hitting better than Gomez.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The offense has been scoring fewer than 4 runs a game with Gomez gone.

Marisnick had an OPS of .420 with Gomez out until the last 2 games.

8. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

The Astros will activate Carlos Gomez before tomorrow's game. He is expected to be in tomorrow's lineup.

9. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Any whispers on the corresponding move the other way?

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

With Valbuena hitting better have to think it will be Moran back to AAA

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

And we deserve the consequences.

12. right1

right1 Member

It might not be a good idea to mess with team chemistry right now. I've stated it before...Astros are a better baseball team with Marisnick starting in CF over Gomez.

13. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Gomez back Moran back down.

Gomez is pure cancer

14. Jay713

Jay713 Member

I think this is the last chance for Gomez. Hopefully he steps up but if he still sucks, he will be gone for good. I'd put him on the shortest leash possible.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agree with this generally. I don't think he should be on a 1 game leash or anything like that. But I do think he should be platooned to possibly get his value up for a trade, while not overexposing him if he shows any signs of negative play again

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Was it reported some time back that the Astros coaching staff tried to get Gomez to fix/change his swing or at-bat philosophy and he refused? I heard this second hand but haven't seen it reported.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If the Astros were playing bad because of Gomez, they're too emotionally fragile to really ever consider contenders, IMO. Let's hope this BS speculation is just that.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It is. Do the Astros strike you as businessman special types that don't tolerate massive personalities? They employed a home run robot last year, frechrissakes.

The degree of certainty these people are using, in regards to Gomez, is comical, as if they can actually diagnose something as intricate as clubhouse chemistry from their living rooms. Whatever. He was loved in Milwaukee.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

We need the Carlos Gomez whose chasing one last really big contract on the open market like Cespesdes did last year. I'll even take a Melvin Upton contract year production. If fans are interested in this team doing anything better than getting back to .500, then they'll want the good Carlos Gomez for the rest of the season.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This, underlined a thousands times. This team NEEDS good Carlos Gomez. Heck, it needs above-average Carlos Gomez. The drop-off to the next best candidate (Marisnick, or bad Carlos Gomez), at least offensively, is significant.

I don't understand why fans seem to be actively rooting against his reclamation. It is desperately needed.