1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Beltran out according to Baseball Tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Sep 7, 2004.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Aparently that pitch that he was hit by did a number on his elbow, hopefully he wont be out, but they said he might be.....anyone hear anything else?

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Very misleading thread title.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

out for tomorrow? the year? how long?

hopefully taveras is ready to start kickin ass

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's day-to-day with a bruised elbow.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Even that is too lengthy...we need him on the field every single day.

6. HoneyNut Ichiro

HoneyNut Ichiro Contributing Member

A couple Beltran comments from today's Chronicle. I'm not sure what to think about them.

"When it hit me, I lost my strength in my arm, and I felt the same sensation when the ball hit me in the knee (Aug. 29 in Chicago)," Beltran said. "(Manager) Phil (Garner) told me to take it in and take care. I don't have a lot of motion in my arm."

And talks about his contract:

Winning a big help

Astros outfielder Carlos Beltran had a face-to-face meeting with agent Scott Boras prior to Tuesday's game. Beltran is a free agent at season's end and figures to be one of baseball's hottest commodities.

"He just came to sit down with me and talk and see how I'm doing and nothing else," Beltran said.

Beltran, acquired in a trade from the Royals in June, hinted the Astros' chances of signing him have increased with the club's recent resurgence.

"The beginning was difficult for me to consider this team because as a player, you want to win," he said. "At the beginning, we weren't playing good, but now we're playing real good, and it just seems like we're finding ways to win ballgames.

"It's been great. First of all, I like the ballpark. It's a great ballpark. I think it's a great hitters ballpark, and the fans here have been nice to me. It's almost a full house every night, and it feels fun to come to the ballpark."

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

is that why he's hitting .200 at home? :) just kidding hopefully we're able to keep him but if not i've always looked at him as a rental and so far a damn good one.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

He's day to day...........but aren't we all?

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Anybody for Taveras getting a start if he can't go today? I assume it will be Lane, but i wouldn't mind seeing Willy.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the road, the choice is Lane by a landslide, but with our big CF who knows?...I want to see Taveras, but I think that's too risky of a proposition, although with the team mashing in the middle of the lineup anyway, Taveras may create havoc in the pitchers' minds.

Hopefully it's Beltran.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Great news. I really hope we make a run at resigning him. The guy is so much fun to watch.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He doesn't seem 'Yankee' material, personality-'wise'.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

A month ago I would have said the Astros have about a 20% chance at resigning Carlos, but after the way the Astros have turned it on and considering the way he mashes NL central pitching (even the best), I would say we have about a 70% chance, pending on cheap ass paying the money.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

$17M a year offer from Georgy will make any baseball player look like a Yankee "material".

We have a good chance though.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I wouldn't really call him a cheap ass, I mean. We don't have the market like the Yankees etc. The more money you make, the more you spend.

IIRC The Payroll is the highest it's ever been for an Astro's team.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're arguing with a brick wall on that subject. don't even bother.

17. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I wouldn't say that, it's just you've shown no facts to the contrary that Drayton doesn't sign anyone outside of the Astros organization without a hometown discount. That's being cheap.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

their payroll is higher than its ever been. he's added to it consistently. under drayton's tenure, this franchise went from being an occasional contender, but a usual laughingstock, to a team that has a chance to be playoff bound for the 5th time in 8 seasons.

the astros got no hometown discount from pettitte. they got no hometown discount from bagwell. they got no hometown discount from wagner. i think you're ignoring entirely the players that he has kept here...in addition to minimizing the additions this team has made.

few teams can say they've brought in the likes of roger clemens, andy pettitte, jeff kent, or moises alou. before mclane, that kind of activity was absolutely unheard of for this franchise.

when mclane bought the team, he brought in drabek and swindell. the best free agent acquisition before then?? jim clancy.

19. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

get 'em M!:D

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A fellow named Nolan Ryan was a pretty good free agent acquisition. :)
    Clancy had no possibility of success in Houston. He was brought in as Ryan's "replacement".