1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

car rental alternative

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by asianballa23, May 26, 2022.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Anyone used Turo before? Reliable? Any issue? Heard it's like airbnb of renting a car...

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I've used it to rent a fun car. The owner submitted a claim for a scratch on the splitter.

If you're looking for a normal rental, I'd go with a car rental place for the peace of mind of using an established business that's unlikely to nitpick "damage", and not just some dude with a Camry.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I rented a van through Turo in Denver. It was a great experience. The van was left in a parking lot with a lot box at the airport. I was given the code and rode the tram to exactly where they said the van was parked. I used it 5 days then returned it to the same lot and road the tram back to the airport when I was done. I would rent from Turo again but suggest reading previous renters reviews. You may gain insight into the owners communication, expectations and policies that may make a regular rental more agreeable.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This sounds like some organized crime hitman **** right here.

jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

One of the guys in our group rented via Turo for Tahoe and it was a great experience. We got a Tahoe Z71 and it was clean and well taken care of. When we got stuck in our airbnb because of the snowstorm the guy/owner was understanding and gave us another day to rent even when he had another renter already scheduled to pick up that day.

Tangent: stay as far away as you can from SIXT. We used them for our LA trip last year and it was the worst experience imaginable. It's a traditional rental car company but they're a smaller group and it shows.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I've been a renter and rentee with Turo.

If you're gonna be a renter, go with a beater/older car so you don't have someone nitpick you.

Rather easy experience, but YMMV.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Shhhhhh no one is supposed to know.

Andre0087 and Xerobull like this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Have done it once. Was a little sketchy when returning. There was no "End Ride" button or anything and I was scared about getting dinged like jugdish got.

I don't think I would do it for anything but a van/truck already well used. These people renting muscle/sports cars are putting themselves at risk to picky owners IMO.

I did it for a van because turo is just a flat rate and you get hundreds of miles included. Kills uhaul on price.