1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

car ac/heater problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Oct 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. body slam

body slam Member

When I put the ac on and switch the control to cold it still blows hot air as if the heater is still on. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with being out of refrigerant/freon since it is blowing hot air not warm. My guess is the thermostat is broke. Anyone else with a guess to what the problem might be?

'97 chevy 1500 pickup truck

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

#2 CrazyDave, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  3. ling ling

ling ling Member

When you turn on the heat, is the temp the same as when you turn on the AC?

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

the switch is the problem they work on vacuum. if you didnt kno that u dont know how to sort it so just take it 2 someone

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The thermostat is what opens up to let radiator fluid in the engine circulate through the radiator (to cool down the engine after warming up). Your truck would be overheating if it was the thermostat and contrary to the name of the part, has nothing to do with the a/c.

The semi-good news is the fan still works. I'm not sure how cold or hot it is where you are. If it's hot outside and it's blowing hot air with the ac on, then it "could" be your refrigerant level which then "could" mean compressor has a leak. That would be bad because they usually replace the evaporator coil too. Plan on being out $800+ on that. Or it could be as simple as a relay switch which would only set you back <$100.

Either way, you need to take it to someone to have them check it out because I doubt anyone can tell you exactly what is wrong without having the truck in front of them.