1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone tell me who was the one congressman to vote against funding?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Sep 15, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm pretty sure it was funding for NYC, but don't quote me on that, I've just seen it on the "bottom line" on CNN.

My guess is Ron Paul.

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Some woman from California; Lee?

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Applesauce, b****.

4. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

5. Bigman

Bigman Member

She can kiss her political career goodbye.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

OK, it wasn't funding, it was giving Bush total control to do whatever.

I'm still going with Ron Paul.

7. Swopa

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's a very liberal district -- they don't call it the People's Republic of Berkeley for nothing.

And personally, without knowing the details of why she voted the way she did (and so being unable to judge the merits of her vote), I think the willingness to vote your conscience even in the face of a overwhelming decision the other way -- or the public perception of what's politically correct -- is a good thing.

I mean, isn't that the heart of the democratic way of life we're supposed to stand for? I'm sure they have plenty of unanimous votes in Afghanistan, if that's what you're looking for.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, it was Lee.

ROXRAN, I'm guessing you don't understand my signature? Go see <I>Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back</I>, and you'll understand.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I do........I was just trying to use it for the perceived moment.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

At least she's consistent. She was the lone dissenting vote when Clinton wanted to bomb Yugoslavia. I would like to hear her reasoning, however with respect to this situation.

11. Bigman

Bigman Member

I guess I'd have to agree that she was pretty courageous to vote how she felt. But it would have been nice to see solidarity from all of our representatives on this matter. I'm sure many who voted for the measure really had reservations about it. I just think now is the time to show the world that we our country is united. She could later posture against any actions she didn't agree with as I'm sure many will. In short, I guess I'm just trying to say: C'mon Ms. Lee, get with program!!

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In addition, I believe the vote is mainly symbolic. I think the "War Powers Act" already gives the president any authority he needs without congressional backing (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong). That being the case, it should have had unanimous support.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

She said she was reserved about agreeing because she was not sure how her "constituents" (sp) felt about this. I totally agree with her. She was voted in by the people, and she needs to support their vote instead of casting it for them.

14. Swopa

http://wire.ap.org/APnews/main.html?FRONTID=NATIONAL&STORYID=APIS7EHTQ500

Many of Lee's constituents said they respected her for taking a stand even if they disagreed with it.

"It took a lot of moral courage for her to stand up like that,'' said Angela Nevin from behind the counter of an upscale jewelry store in Oakland. "Even if it's to be devil's advocate, someone needs to have a sane voice.''

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

She already knew what the results of the vote was gonna be. Shouldn't she know how her constituents feel? Anyone who doesn't support unbridled support to this cause is un-American, imo. It could be that she just wanted a little bit of publicity thrown her way.

16. Major

Major Member

<B>Shouldn't she know how her constituents feel? Anyone who doesn't support unbridled support to this cause is un-American, imo. </B>

Seems part of being American is having that freedom to vote your conscience. To me, it seems more un-American to demand someone vote a certain way.

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I just question the reasoning of her vote. Does she consult her constituents on every vote? I don't demand her to vote anyway, I just question why she didn't vote for it.

18. Swopa

Maybe she WAS representing her constituents ...

... and a tidbit from the Washington Post:

"I agonized over this vote all week," she says. "I searched my conscience. I talked to many people. Ultimately, on some votes, you have to vote the way your conscience dictates."

Her agony was exacerbated by the knowledge that her chief of staff, Sandre Swanson, was mourning the death of his cousin Wanda Green, who was a flight attendant on the hijacked United jet that crashed in Pennsylvania.

#18 Swopa, Sep 18, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2001
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We should make a list of these unAmericans. Then, we can deny them employment and have the police and courts harass them until they do what we tell them to do. They're probably communists who want to steal our American rights of speech and thought. :rolleyes:

The word 'un-American' has a tragic history. You can expect some strong responses with vocabulary like that.

20. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

What's the point of having a House of Representatives at all if the Representative is supposed to find out exactly what the district specifically wants before casting a vote.

We elect people to use their judgement in casting votes (which is what it appears this Rep actually did). We shouldn't have Reps making policy based on opinion polls.