1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Clint Capela...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoMing#1, Nov 18, 2018.

?

20ppg?

1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. bongman

bongman Member

I feel that the team would be better served if CC can get to first team all nba on defense

fattz, hakeem94, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  2. Moleb

Moleb Member

I thought hakeem was more athletic?

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Sure, Capela could easily be 15-20ppg and 10+ rpg with 2bpg this season.

But what could Thon Maker be????

4. basketballholic

That would be terrific. I'd love it. Because if he actually did that....we'd probably win a championship with everybody healthy. And I would NOT want to trade him.....

baller4life315 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

So.....

We just going to ignore another huge Capela night against a huge front court?

27/15/5

Cmon guys this kid is legit.

Can he create his own shot? Prob not

But he’s great at what he does which is rebound finish around the hoop and block shots.

He’s been playing great the past 5 games.

6. seeingred

seeingred Member

His first season, if you wanted him to score he had to receive the ball above the rim. Now if you get it to him free throw line or in, he has the skills to get around or through his defender.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a big man show up without handles and add them to his game while playing in the NBA. If D'Antoni decided Clint needed to score 20 ppg for us to win, I wouldn't bet against him.

YaoMing#1, hakeem94 and Mathloom like this.
  7. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

A small detail I've seen in Clint's game is early in the shot clock (under 10 seconds) on a fast break or something, if he's already ahead of the field and doesn't get the ball immediately - he does not hesitate and goes straight to set a screen on the outside or stands in a position for a lob if he sees a perimeter player about to make a move.

Constantly we see centers trying to post up and clog the lane - but its an example of how Clint has really bought into the offensive system on all levels. He has shown flashes he can be that post-up player - but at the end of the day as talented as he is its not his role and I appreciate that. Which goes without saying I think he'll def. average a close 20/10/2 and continue to be the anchor of our defense.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Without a reliable hook, fade, or low post game I would predict that he will never average 20 ppg unless teams completely give up guarding the rim and focus on taking away the three. We will definitely see him score 20+ every now and then against teams that can't defend the PnR well though.

saleem likes this.
  9. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

yes, but its not going to happen this season. His post moves have gotten better, working with dream, but he needs some sort of fadeaway or jump hook to get him over the hump. i am glad with his progression and love how we have him on a very reasonable contract.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Capela will have to play outside the system if he wants to get more points, and that means working in the post, more.

You guys know what happened the last time we fed the ball to our 5 because we wanted to get him more touches?

That dude is in Washington right now, and he's literally butthurt.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Capela hasn't actually improved as much as you would think over the last few years, he's just doing it over more minutes.

His ratios have stayed pretty steady over the last 3 seasons (19, 18, 18 per 36). Unless his minutes go up significantly, he isn't gonna go much higher than 17 or so. He's already up to 34, at a certain point there are diminishing returns on effort level available.

In 2018 where centers are having to chase guards on the perimeter, it's not realistic to expect 38-40 minutes like we got from old school bigs who camped in the paint.

fattz likes this.
  12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

22/13/2

Over the last 6 game.

Alright I promise I won’t keep bumping my own thread anymore.

But it is pretty cool that he’s put up 3 straight games of 20+ and 15+ since I made it lol.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why don't you hold Thon Maker to such a high standard?

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's up to 17.5 on the season, pretty cool indeed.

17.5 points, 12 rebounds and 2 blocks on 65% from the field 17 games into the season. Who would have thought he'd put up numbers like this.

Clint seems to outplay all the NBA's great big men with his quickness. Anytime a team wants to play a Gobert/Towns/Drummond against us for 40 MPG we just keep lobbing to Clint on PNR's.

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If Clint ends the season at 17.5 and 12 it’s a massive success imo.

But something tells me he’s going to keep putting up these monster 20+ games.

We need the scoring with EG in a 20 game funk and Clint is clearly our best bet after our HOF guys.

fattz, Patience and topfive like this.
  16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Yes, he is definitely progressing every season maybe we will see that in a season or two

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I disagree with this. Capela has improved a lot in terms of recognizing where to position and when to roll/cut depending on what the defense does. In the same vein, he has also become really good the last couple of years in terms of recognizing when a lob is coming based on how the defense shifts. His biggest improvement is that his stamina has improved year after year so he is able to sustain his ratios with the increase of minutes. Usually, the more minutes you play, the less efficient (worse your ratios are). 33 mpg where the big is often the first guy down the court on transition offense is huge. His soft touch around the rim while in the air has also improved. He is able to catch a lot of poor lobs and still finish.

fattz likes this.
  18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Unless he is the next coming of Bill Russell... 'holic won't be satisfied.

AroundTheWorld and RudyTBag like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Monster rebounding game.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This is how YOU KNOW that HOLIC IS FULL OF CRAP!

AroundTheWorld likes this.