1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Campus Carry Bill Heads to Gov. Abbott

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jun 1, 2015.

?

What do you think of this law?

1. Good

14.7%
  2. Bad

85.3%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/05/31/campus-carry-bill-heads-gov-abbott/

Well so is this a good thing or a bad thing? I guess we will be shoot outs on campus?

2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm indifferent (nothing really happens) to bad (multiple shootings of people or events).

definitely not good.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

About freaking time. Soon we can get rid of the presidential discretion. Seems obvious McRaven plans to put a 30.06 sign in front of every building.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think if you're going to have concealed carry then they should be able to carry wherever they want as long as its concealed. I wish the requirements for CHL's were tougher however because right now it's a joke.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entert.../29/vince-vaughn-covers-july-issue-british-gq

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I can imagine everyone with Guns at the Dixie Chicken getting all liquored up!!

Rocket River

7. Bandwagoner

This is the kind of ignorance that needs to be battled whenever a new gun law is passed which makes it easier for me to understand why our legislators have a hard time. I mean if people cannot even understand what a campus is, how can they understand the intricacies and benefits of motorcycles splitting lanes.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There needs to be a 3rd option in the poll.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just like people think people gonna leave their straps in the room and never take them out . . .. . . .

Rocket River

10. Bandwagoner

I've read this several times sincerely trying to understand but I am still baffled.

If it is a reference to The Chicken, that is a 51% establishment and prohibited for carrying even if you don't drink. If it is a reference to 21 year old CHL holders taking guns out during class, the 20 years of CHL data is there for you to study.

11. AXG

AXG Member

Neither one

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bunch of Drunken folx . . .. who have guns close at hand . .. . .

Rocket River

13. Bandwagoner

Would be breaking the law and have nothing to do with this law. And although your point is irrelevant, if you want to compare the general lawlessness of CHL holders compared to other Texans, here are the stats. The very people this law effect have their criminal history for you to check out.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't want a bunch of morons carrying guns at universities.

Sounds terrible.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is just such a short-sighted, stupid, and potentially dangerous law.

Excerpted from the National Alliance on Mental Illness website.

http://www2.nami.org/Content/NavigationMenu/First_Episode/About.htm

http://www2.nami.org/Content/Naviga...arn_About_The_Issue/Learn_About_The_Issue.htm

16. Bandwagoner

You are aware this law isn't handing out guns to students or lowering the age in which they can buy them or carry them yet you still post this wall of copypasta.

Where guns are already banned in Texas. Do you expect an uptick from this law?The people it effects already have guns and a CHL.

The reactions are as if guns will be sold at the bookstore.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, apparently from personal anecdotes from people that attended CHL classes, its ridiculously easy for macho douchebags, wannabe heroes, and generally violent people to obtain CHL licenses.

The mentality of a CHL owner should be: god forbid, they find themselves trapped or unable to run they will at least have a firearm on their person to combat shooters and other violent criminals.
    A last resort option.

#17 RedRedemption, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  18. CometsWin

19. CometsWin

This is true from my experience in CHL and other classes however the crime rate for CHL holders is something like less than 1%. Accidents are more likely to happen with CHL holders that don't know anything about how to handle their guns than the likelihood that they'll be involved in some shootout and kill innocent people. The only instruction you get in CHL is basic safety and the law. A lot of people seem to think there's actual training and there isn't.

The impetus behind open carry and campus carry isn't really people carrying, it's desensitizing the public to having firearms in public. They're expanding the brand so to speak. A lot of these OC supporters don't even want to require having a CHL to openly carry in public. There's such a thing as Constitutional carry that they wanted passed. It would basically allow anyone to open carry a pistol in public.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/texas-verge-passing-open-carry-law/
    Open Carry for handguns is passed. They just need Abbott to sign it.