1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cami released bt Astros

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ROCKSS, Oct 18, 2000.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros will not exercise the option for the 2001 season on the contract of third baseman Ken Caminiti, who left the team during last season to undergo evaluation for chemical dependency

I really hate to see him go [​IMG]

------------------

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

He didn't really do much for us this time around. I like him and hope he gets his life together first, then maybe he can DH for some american league team.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

"Not excersizing the option" does not necessarily mean that the Stros won't keep him. The Padres declined the option on Gwynn but still hope to sign him to a lesser contract.

------------------

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

only if he is willing to come off the bench.

Chris Truby is a young solid 3rd baseman who will only improve with playing time.

5. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

hey anyone know what this guy was on? just wondering

------------------
    I think people are forgetting that we are the rockets...

WE DONT REBUILD...WE RELOAD....remember that..

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

I believe it was pain medication.

Keep in mind though that Caminiti lost only a small part of the season to his substance abuse problem. It was also the tail end of the season, when the Astros were more interested in giving Truby playing / development time anyway. He was out most of this season, and a good bit of last season, because of injury.

Ken Caminiti is a great third baseman when he's in form, but between injuries and personal problems, he's had a tough time playing to his capabilities. He just hasn't been able to be there for them.

At 4.5 million dollars a year, Caminiti is the sixth highest paid player on the Astros. That's a lot to spend on a guy who only played in 59 games. Only Bagwell, Biggio, Alou, Reynolds, and Lima make more. At that level, with his uncertain future, Cami wouldn't be traded. I'm sure the Astros, and any other team, feel that's too much for a player that may or may not be there.

I'd love to see Cami back in an Astro's uniform. But, at that salary, the Astros are better off with Truby, who's good and getting better, and spending that money on Bagwell or a quality pitcher.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think it's a mistake. When he's healthy, he is an excellent player. I remember when he left us the first time for San Diego...he kicked some major ass over there. Now, he is going to go somewhere again and kick ass all over again.

Bad move [​IMG]

Surf

------------------

8. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Thats it .. **** THE ASTROS WHOLE ORGANIZATION!

------------------
    "You look a team that's been to the mountaintop like the Houston Rockets, I'm going to put pressure on myself to be the best possible player that I can be. With the pieces they already have in place and myself, we can do some amazing things next season."

Maurice Taylor

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Francis3, I'm not so sure that Cammy didn't want this. I remember hearing something about him maybe wanting to go to the American League to play DH, that would be easier on him and his body.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Cammy is at the tail end of his career and wants to play for a contender.

The Astros want to get some more youth into the lineup and get rid of some extraneous salary.

I hate to see him go, but it was probably a decision agreed upon by both sides.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

11. dc sports

dc sports Member

Correction. His contract extention for next year would pay him 5.5 million dollars, putting him behind only Bagwell, Biggio, and Reynolds.

Hunsicker said on the news that he liked Cami, that he was a fan favorite, and played his heart out. BUT, his contract extention would have paid him too much money for someone who spent more time on the DL than off it. They also feel Chris Truby is "really coming along" and will be the third baseman of the future for the Astros.

------------------
    Stay Cool...