1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore is the Rockets’ REAL franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketeer, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

You knew it was coming. The confidence, swagger, the shooting, the physical game at just 19 years old. He’s like a Corey Maggette/ Carlmelo Anthony lite. I believe the Rockets FO learned their lesson with Jalen, and Udoka is reeling him in slowly but surely. Discuss CF.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, he is him.

DD

vince, Hakeemtheking and Tankeio like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I thought we already had this thread before he ever played an NBA minute, lol

He is looking good out there, but really needs to keep improving his decisionmaking--if he ever becomes a featured player on offense he will be targeted by the best defenders and face double-teams, and he's going to need some real growth in his BBIQ to deal with that, IMO. Right now there's a little bit of this going on

[​IMG]

Which is fine as a microwave scorer off the bench, but if we want him to become more than that he has to break out of that mindset

Richie_Rich, "Hail Hydra" and saleem like this.
  4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Yup…Him he is.

…….
    …….
    …….

DeBeards and Hakeemtheking like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If so, we'll need some Cam Whitmore wallpaper

Rocketeer likes this.
  6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Cam is definitely a guy that could go for 40 or 50 in a game. His size and athleticism scream star. He's just got a lot of things to work on -- shot selection, passing, off-ball stuff.

But the upside is tremendous. I would guess we will see a lot of him down the stretch, if things don't turn around in a hurry.

vince, Sean Dr34ms, jcmoon and 15 others like this.
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. DD trying to sound hip.
    [​IMG]

8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Corey Maggette lite doesn’t exactly scream future championships. He’ll need to be a lot better than that if he’s a true superstar in the making. Same goes for Carmelo tbh.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

How long is Cam Whitmore out for with his right ankle sprain? We need him back soon.

10. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I see him as a key player in a trade package for that one superstar Stone trying to land.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the one gripe is if he becomes a star....how do you build around him if his weakness is passing and vision.....he just do the one man job?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His weakness is neither - he can do both, he has always been the main scorer, he just needs to adjust his mindset, he has the skills already.

DD

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Cam has the talent and athleticism to be great, it's the mind game and maturity he must improve the most.

Both Cam and Amen are soft clay. We'll learn a lot about their futures early next season, maybe as early as summer league.

I can't wait.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

kubli9 likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen it yet in him, at this point I'm seeing his ceiling as a Jaylen Brown type of player. If that counts as a franchise player then yes, he can definitely be that.

16. kpdark

kpdark Member

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

18. JW86

JW86 Member

I don't know man, I mean, who the **** was he staring down or putting on a mean mug for last night? Did you see him all angry most of the night on that bench, I think he's really feeling himself too much and I see Von Wafer written all over him if he doesn't mature quickly enough within the next 2 years. If he goes learn to be a team player and come back to earth, then we have a great guy on our hands.

19. Ancient Moabite

I'm starting to come around to acknowledging this curse that those have spoken about on here

First Eason now Cam

20. anchel

anchel Member

Our franchise player is Alperen Sengun. Just wait til the offense is built for him and around him.

Cam has a chance to be that go-to-guy outside, for sure. But he's not going to be a leader, a facilitator... Sengun has those qualities.

Rocketeer and AroundTheWorld like this.