1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling all artist, DALL-E

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Oct 27, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Saw a show talking about this yesterday, I had no idea this was a thing.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/30/1125976146/dall-e-art-ai-generator-npr

An artificial intelligence tool called DALL-E that's stunned with its ability to render text into realistic images is now available to the public.

OpenAI, the Silicon Valley research lab behind the program, announced Wednesday it has dropped the waitlist to use the program.

Until now, OpenAI released the tool to a select group of users that included academics, artists and journalists. The iterative rollout was designed to curb the potential for bad actors to leverage the tool for disinformation and other harmful uses.

The excitement over the invite-only tool had meanwhile inspired an imitation known as DALL-E mini, a limited model in comparison that's not affiliated with OpenAI. The copycat has since changed its name to Craiyon.

Well, we at NPR wasted no time in testing out the now-public program. Putting our own public radio spin on the generated art, we offer you a sampling of works dreamt up by NPR journalists.

Would be great if we could create some art on our own and post them here.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw a thing about this on Ari Melber and I've got some mixed opinions of it. It is a amazing of what it can do but it does bring up question of what is art. Part of art is the craft behind it and just enabling a digital AI to churn out compelling images on command does remove both the craft and the intentionality part of it.

Melber does point out that the same criticisms were made about photography but that instead of diminishing visual art it opened up a whole new medium for art. That could be possible with these new tools.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's a bit limited compared to midjourney, which has by far the best images on the ai arts market imo. Overall the concept really is exciting, but I can understand that many artists are scared when it leads to incredibly low cost & quick art that people can create for their works (and also some of the engines steal a bit from digital art pieces that are online).

Here are some of the better ones I did on my midjourney trial:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RunninRaven, GIGO and rocketsjudoka like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's where I saw it at.

It seems we watch the same stuff, I usually don't watch Ari he is way left and a bit sanctimonious.

I like Morning Joe, Rachel Maddow even better since Alex Wagner is on there and Deadline Whitehouse.

#4 jiggyfly, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Sweet!

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DALL-E creating its own nightmare cryptids.

Crungus

and

Loab

Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hard to believe. Boomer?

Xerobull likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is probably better for another thread but I started watching Joe Scarborough back in the late Obama years because I thought his show was the most even handed. I didn’t really get into Ari Melber and get annoyed when He talks about rap (it strikes me too much as the suburban white kid pretending to be gangsta) but he’s very smart and in issues of the law he seems really sharp. Was very impressed when he got Peter Navarro to explain on his show the plan to overturn the election.
    I still find Rachel Maddow too partisan.

Most of the time I don’t watch MSNBC but listen to YouTube clips while working.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Dall-E is going to demonetize the entire digital art industry. You can have the algorithm create anything you can describe.

The monetizable art will be physical objects.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Looks pretty cool. One thing I wonder about with Dall-E and these other programs is of what they are doing can be considered original or is it just remixing of existing art pieces? For example on Ari Melber he created several pieces of JFK done in the style of famous but dead artists like Van Gogh and Wharhol. In that case is it really an original creation or just an interpretation?

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It eliminates that distinction entirely

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am about the same I watch Morning Joe while I am getting ready for work and Deadline sometimes when I am working out.

Maddow used to be very good before Trump she would go into details a lot and had different and interesting topics.

I rarely watch Melber for the same reasons but I kind of like his rap references they don't always land and used to be more natural now they seem forced.

I don't like Joe when he starts lecturing Democrats and Minka comes off as shrill a lot, but they have good segments and guest.

Any yeah we probably should make a thread about these things.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MidJourney is just getting better and better

We are about 5~10 years from fully artificial deepfakes

Rocket River