1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Call Of Duty and the Use of The 'N' Word

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by don grahamleone, May 10, 2014.

?

Call of Duty and the Use of The 'N' Word

1. I occasionally use the 'N' word while I play online games

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. I cannot and choose not to use that word online, ever

31 vote(s)
    64.6%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I am completely new to Call Of Duty online and I'm shocked how many people are using the N word towards their opponents. I was born in 1979 and am a child of parents that saw what hate did to the community and the N word was banned in the household. To the point that it was never even voiced as being banned. It was as if the word did not exist. I never once heard either of my parents use the word. My grandparents were not allowed to use it in front of us children, according to Mom, and I heard it few times growing up, even from strangers. It was always a shock to my system when I did hear it.

I am from Louisiana, a traditionally racist state, but even still, rarely heard the word. I cannot help but think that this country and this world is becoming racist again, even after our African-American brothers fought hard for equality. This is mainly based on anonymous online gaming chat rooms and microphones used during those online games.

Call of Duty is certainly not the only offender, but it is what I've experienced most frequently, as of late.

I have a few questions and would like to hear any discussion you might have. I am going to post an anonymous poll, but if you have an opinion beyond the poll, please let me know if you feel the same way, am I being too sensitive, is the word non-offensive, etc.

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Kids from all over the world use the most vulgar language in online first person shooter gaming. It's part of their forum culture to be as bigoted as possible. Edit: Kids and young adults who act like immature kids.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Is it not our jobs as adults, who play these games, to lead? Tell the kids to cool out the language?

I have no issue with the kids cussing and being competitive, but anti-race or anti-sexuality slurs seem too much to me. I am heterosexual by nature and choice, but I keep thinking I'd be kind to make my clan thing [iGAY] just to make people think before they start slinging insults.

I'm cool with being called a "dumb***, dumbf***, moth** ******, b****, etc.. but I draw lines with calling out things that this country is built on: Equality.

1 person likes this.
  4. Asian Sensation

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What's the context?
    Are they using it as an insult? The N-word with or without the R at the end?
    Or are they just saying MAH N1GGA MAH N1GGA?

Also not much you can do about it. You can report them, but that doesn't do much. Not that big of a deal to be honest, anonymity brings out the worst in people.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Idk if you are new to on lining gaming or something but kids have been talking like that on Xbox for almost a decade

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Most of the kids who use it online worldwide don't even know the history and how much hate that word contains. I blame rappers and eminem.

8. BinBinRingRing

Search for The Online Gamer on Youtube.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Most gamers are teenage boys/college-aged males.

Most teenage boys/college-aged males are borderline-sociopathic dumbasses.

Meh.

10. HPD

HPD Member

"They" use it so i use it....

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is a very serious problem. Here's to hoping that the adults who enjoy playing video games online with children show their maturity, because this is super serious.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

PC gaming is not nearly as bad

14. joesr

joesr Member

Don't like the word, period.

Growing up, I tried to use it hanging around the group of people who used it on the regular and it didn't feel right.

It is a ignorant word REGARDLESS of the version of the word being used and for whatever reason beyond me continued to be used.

I don't understand why someone would use that word regardless of the context they use it in. A greeting? A message? A 'ijustpawnedyouinagame'?

The word itself is ignorant. The many different versions are ignorant. Period. But then again I wasn't raised in the south.

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Issues like this (racist/misogynist/hateful language) is a big reason why a lot of online gamers have moved to party chat - i.e. they only hear the voices of their friends and all randoms are muted. I'm sure CoD still has plenty of bile-spewing open-mic kids...it's CoD after all, but for many other online games...if you're not playing with friends, the games can be pretty quiet.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

The last online game I played (still do on occasion) was Mass Effect 3 for pc. Nobody ever talks on there. When we do have 2 bros talking once in a blue moon, they're very polite and courteous... that or Russian dudes who can't stop talking.

I don't have a mic, but if I did, I would play "i'll make love to you" by B2M on a loop in the background so people can play and be relaxed.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That would really put me as ease.

18. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I would have went with this one.

[​IMG]

19. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's cool to take a stand against the ignorance. Nice job.