1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bynum vs. Nene vs. Perkins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by waytookrzy079, Feb 9, 2011.

?

Bynum vs. Nene vs. Perkins

Poll closed Feb 16, 2011.
  1. Bynum

27 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Nene

23 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Perkins

21 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Who needs a Center? Just bring in another wing!

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I know there was another thread comparing Perkins and Nene... but with the talks regarding the Lakers in the Melo sweepstakes, Bynum may also be on the move.

Its been made clear that we need a big man that clog the paint, block shots, and defend well. We do have a possibility to land either Nene or Bynum via trade, but Perkins could be had in free agency. I highly doubt the Celtics would make a move to trade him this year.

IMO...even though we've had some horrible luck on our side regarding Yao and his injury history, I think Bynum would be worth a gamble. He's not someone i would build my team around, but he would be a nice 2nd or 3rd option on this team. We have a need for 2-way players who can defend and score, and Bynum fits this description, IMO.

I think he still has untapped potential on the offensive end and can get better defensively. He is still VERY young (only 23). If things dont work out, then you have another trade chip available next year or hold the contract and about $16mil comes off the books if the Rockets decide not to pick up Bynum's option.

Andrew Bynum:
    Per 36mins in 2010-2011
    16.7ppg/10.6rpg/2.6bpg

Pros: Clogs the paint, strong finisher inside, shot blocker, rebounder, very young (only 23 yrs old), still has potential and fairly high ceiling (IMO).
    Cons: Hasn't stayed healthy in his young career. Pretty pricey contract.

2010-2011 - $13.8mil
    2011-2012 - $15.1mil
    2012-2013 - $16.4mil (Team Option)

Nene:
    Per 36mins in 2010-2011
    17.8ppg/8.2rpg/0.9bpg

2010-2011 - $11.3mil
    2011-2012 - $11.6mil (Player Option)

Pros: clogs the paint, quick hands, good mid-range shot, can finish strong in the paint, defends well.
    Cons: not much of a shot blocker at his size, avg rebounder for his size, reaching his prime (28 years old), has probably already reached his ceiling, could possibly be a rental since he can opt out after this year.

Perkins
    Per 36mins in 2010-2011
    8.7ppg/11.6/1.1bpg

Pros: clogs the paint, great rebounder, defender and shot blocker, has stayed relatively healthy throughout his career, still very young (26 years old), could be a bigger, but slower version of Chuck Hayes.
    Cons: below avg offensive game, coming off of Knee surgery. May demand top dollars in the FA market.

2010-2011 - $4.3mil
    2011-2012 - Unrestricted FA

2. joesr

joesr Member

I've actually been looking at Perkins. made a trade post saying after season we should offer a fronting contract (starts high, goes low) making it hard to match to either Gasol or Perkins. We dont need a offensive threat (put backs are always nice) but a defensive presence.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bynum is another Big with bad knees.

Perkins just had surgery but Bynum's had like 3.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Perkins
    Nene
    Bynum

But they still all beat the crap out of our bigs.

Depends on what we have to give up to get them, if we maintain our key scorers, give me Perkins.

If we have to give up a scorer, give me Nene or Bynum (assuming his injury days are done).

#4 DonnyMost, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  5. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Right... but if we wanna stay competitive now, Bynum i think would be worth the risk.

The next big Free Agency is in 2012... in that season, we would have a team option on Bynum and can hope and pray we land one or two big name FAs.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He isn't worth the risk of his contract alone.

that's way too much money for the 4th best player on the Lakers.

7. izeroi

izeroi Member

Bynum is definitely an easy pass. The guy is just too injury prone to put any stock in him imo.

As for the other two if we could get Perkins for a decent price then I'd take him.

*I know some say he's going to be looking for a lot, but since he's from Texas that could be a selling point and he might be willing to take less to be closer to home.

Nene would be nice as well but if he were traded to us I'm sure he'd jet off to a "better" team after his contract is up.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Whichever one that has missed the least time to injuries.

1 person likes this.
  9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

of the 3, it's definitely going to be Perkins. I'm not too concerned about his recent knee injury/surgery either. He tore his ACL and its a very common injury and fairly easy to bounce back from (speaking from experience) if given time to heal and rehabbed properly.

I think it may be a bit difficult to sign Perkins simply cuz he would be a FA and may not get the money he wants from Houston. I dont think that fact that he's from Texas would play a large role into where he signs.. though it may factor into his decision process.

10. thejav

thejav Member

Whoever picked bynum hasn't been watching rockets or laker ball in the recent years...why risk another injury prone 7 footer..nene is the only logical choice..I would hate to see anyone who picked the other 2 players to try and run a team...learn from the past or ur bound to repeat ur mistakes..hopefully the rockets organization has...

11. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

would you risk Nene as a rental tho?

I dont think its as logical as you may think. Yes he's a nice player, and would be a nice fit here, but he can opt out of his contract after this year.

Sure he may end up making more money in that one year than he would if he were to opt out, but to play on a winning team, i'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind taking less to play on a winning team.

12. herro

herro Member

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I have no idea why Bynum is even on this list. If you are asking if he is acceptable to go after? Then yes. If he compaires? No. These other two are healthy and thats important with what we have gone through in the past with Yao Ming.

14. thejav

thejav Member

Yeah id risk that..with him in our lineup who says we can't be a contender..he's pretty much a taller version of Hayes that we desperately need..nene brings offence and defence..bynum and Perkins have no offence and are both coming back from knee surgerys..offtopic..hell I'd trade yaos contract now and sign him back next year for a low contract and have him come off the bench after nene..now that would be a contender...if Yao come back..if we can find someone stupid enough to take on his contract..even if we doesn't..we would still be in good shape..nene or bust...

15. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

OR... have Yao and Nene start side by side... that would be a hell of a front court. Have Scola (if he isnt dealt) and Hayes come off the bench to face the 2nd units.

16. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

Nene is the only legit two way player out of the bunch. If it was a guarantee that he would extend or resign, i would seriously consider trading luis scola for him.

I hate the thought of losing our teams motor (luis), but ive put alot of time looking into what this would actually mean for our team.

Lowry/AB/Ish
    Martin/Lee/T-Will
    Battier/C-Bud/T-Will
    Hayes/Patterson
    Nene/Miller/Hill

Our starters instantly become a well above average defensive team. With Kmart being the only 1 way offensive player on the court. We all know defense is contagious, and ive seen kevin play some pretty good defense when he puts in the effort. We still have enough scoring punch and balanced as well. Hayes will play the exact same roll offensively, as nene takes over scola's role as the low post scorer. Our bench will retain its scoring punch and energy.

We are deep at the PF but not C. and I absolutely love luis. perfectly embodies what a houston rocket is. But we need to start getting back to having solid 2-way players and get our defense back to seriuosly contend again.

17. rju1986

rju1986 Member

This sums it up haha :cool:

18. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

id still take bynum...due to his young age.

19. Hball

Hball Member

Injury prone or not give me bynum his size creates mismatches and changes the game defensively and offensively, nene whose solid all around is not much of a rim protector or post defender and perkins not going to give you much offensensively.