1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Tolliver can give 80 percent of that, I will be satisfied to see him in Houston. Cut Harty. He works hard, but he lacks athleticism. Keep Clemons.

DeBeards likes this.
  2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

I can't see why MDA didn't let DMC play in Boston, maybe the reason like what Feigen let out 5 days ago (twitted below) 'winning remains higher priority' (moving up to 2-3 seed)

Obviously, Celtics game was not a easy one…small ball vs micro ball (Rox), at some point of the game RoCo could barely cover tatum n theis attacking the rim one by one in turns, that's a bad signal n makes me firmly believe morey got to do something today, otherwise we are gonna have trouble while facing much lengthy teams like bucks, Lakers or raptors Who can play small like Celtics did last night.

Tolliver might not be a good choice for us, like nbcsports reported on his lately shooting woe along with the details on buyout.
    but, till now we don't have any other choices (except Tyler, bolden, Anderson), if next hours there ain't any reliable veterans being released or making agreement on buyout.
    (at least his rejection to giannis' dunk is for real)

#1462 DeBeards, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    D-rock, ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Offense was an issue last night so DMC woudn't have helped much. When Harden and Westbrook are both rolling, DMC would be a better fit.

DeBeards, saleem and eliefor3 like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No doubt. One of my biggest criticism of D’Antoni. Sacrificing limited rotation numbers due to max desire
    for wins. Often does it from week one of each season. One never knows who may have the hot hand.
    Rockets may need DMC at some point at some time.

Knowing this DMC needs to make the best of his opportunities vs
    the lesser teams.....if D’Antoni hasn’t already given up on him.

saleem likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Tolliver too over Tyson but he is older than Demarre and fills the same role.

Still would prefer to add younger Tolliver like players who have more upside, are longer, more athletic, switchier on D, more explosive and more disruptive on defense.

Jonah Bolden
    Justin Anderson
    Tyler Johnson

#1465 D-rock, Mar 1, 2020
    DeBeards and ApacheWarrior like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Very curious to get an update from you @ApacheWarrior - if you have changed your stance of MDA as innovative and championship level coach.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Purpose of Tyson Chandler is 2-fold, his presence in the locker room. He is a glue guy off the court that young
    and old players feel comfortable being around and consult about game situations and work ethic. Much like
    Marcus Camby was back in the day. Just my opinion of course.

The other reason for keeping Tyson is for playing against Big centers during small stints. A form of a fall back plan
    over the less experienced Hartenstein. Tyson can still play for 6 minute stretches....just not 10 minute stretches.
    But better yet come in for a defensive situational possession. Much like matching up for one play against a Brook
    Lopez type in an attempt to contest his hook shot in the lane in the final seconds of a quarter of a close game. Probably eliminates the need for Thabo. Bruno/Harty still remain an option for the same situation.

I’m confident DeMarre will come around. I’ve seen his leaping ability is still good. Better than that of Tucker.
    So the tools are still there.

Tolliver just gives us more options (greater experienced options.....sorry Bolden/Justin Anderson just don’t move the
    needle enough for D’Antoni to play or Morey to take a chance on). As much as Morey likes Tyler Johnson.....PG/SG is covered by:

1) Westbrook 2) Harden 3) Eric Gordon 4) Rivers 5) McLemore 6) Clemons (ability to hit 30 foot three’s is invaluable in our space driven style......Tyler Johnson lacks that ability). So position 1-2 covered by 6 players.

Positions 3-5 can be covered by: 1) Covington 2) House 3) Jeff Green 4) DeMarre Carroll 5) Tucker 6) Tolliver

Of course some bleed over between positions 2-4 with Harden/McLemore/House/ Covington/ DeMarre Carroll/ Tucker

Best to have more options than less in my opinion.

More fouls to go around in the event some opposing player is going off. Regardless of position for this Rocket team.

#1467 ApacheWarrior, Mar 1, 2020
    D-rock, DeBeards and saleem like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

At this moment I’m in the keep D’Antoni camp. As you know earlier in the season I was not liking how the team was
    constructed. The team was leaning heavily towards guards and point guards while I’m a believer SF’s allow for the
    position-less basketball that is all the rave in today’s game.

Of course I’m not privileged to the collective thinking of those in the Rockets “War Room.” Now the bigger picture
    has developed and I’m tickled pink that the Rockets appear to be implementing a blue print I’ve been advocating
    for years.

Whether it’s D’Antoni or Morey or Tilman, this I don’t know. Report this morning is Morey wasn’t on board with trading Capela for Covington and that Tilman ordered it. Instead of pointing a fingers & blaming or giving one person credit.....I wish to just award each with the distinction of getting it done as a group or collective whole.

I see little to no flaws on this current team: Defensive hustle, 3P shooting, FT shooting, deflections, steals, blocks,
    blocking out and TOV’s (with the exception of team rebounds). The only way D’Antoni can mess this up is by not
    trusting his players and abandoning them and going to a 7 to 8 man rotation in the playoffs. I prefer the constant
    rotation of fresh legs to wear down our opponents. Either Harden or Westbrook on the floor as floor generals.
    Bigger point leads will result in greater rest for Westbrook/Harden.

P.S. yes I’ve even changed my tune on Westbrook. I think my talking of trading him here on CF’s motivated him
    on being more efficient and actually being more selfish at the rim. I noted then that teams were showing wall
    but expecting Westbrook to kick out. He started holding his dribble longer and getting to the rack vs one player in mind.

#1468 ApacheWarrior, Mar 1, 2020
  9. rockets13champs

Our playoff 8-9 man is pretty much set. Green getting mins over dmc

DeBeards and saleem like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Always interesting to get your thoughts and insights as always.

Can you link that article stating Morey was against Covington trade?

Thanks!

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Likewise D-rock. Your basketball IQ is very high.

I have no verification on that CF thread, but I can’t find information refuting it either. I will say this, It’s Morey’s
    job to put trade packages together. So I have no doubt Morey was in on it. If Morey was 56% or greater on keeping
    Capela and approximately 44% on trading Capela for Covington; then Morey never would have presented that
    package to Tilman.

But I do think GM’s like to keep their draft picks that have developed. Capela fits that role. Covington is a player
    Morey brought in and tossed to the curb. Developed by someone else. All-in-all I think Morey saw the benefits
    of Covington with this team, and Tilman is just trying to take some of that thunder. Or CF’er of thread
    was just talking out of his/her (expletive).

Have a good Sunday D-rock

Edited: Deleted

#1471 ApacheWarrior, Mar 1, 2020
    DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thanks AW!!

You have a great one too!

13. saleem

Your line of thinking is similar to mine. MDA needs to give DMC more minutes against the weaker teams. His defensive positioning is good, but he lacks lateral quickness. I hope he will start to shine soon.

I want to see more defense and rebounding. Rivers is playing well. I want to see him playing perimeter defense more often. His shooting has really gotten better. I hope he can keep it up.

EG needs to get fit. I haven't given up on him, as yet. I don't see any other additions, despite our need for a big who can space the floor. Bruno is too soft.

ApacheWarrior and DeBeards like this.
  14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Rockets need to pick up this dude ASAP cut Clemons IDGAF

15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Waiters…

saleem likes this.
  16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Waiters…waiting

#1476 DeBeards, Mar 1, 2020
  17. riko

riko Member

Play him against the knicks

18. riko

riko Member

No spot but yeah perfect fit

DeBeards likes this.
  19. saleem

Definitely.

DeBeards likes this.
  20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

wow, finally someone speak out!

Yes, there is few chances a bench player could find back his feeling of the game n contribute right away once you put him on court in an emergency, should you had nailed him on bench (exclude garbage time) for games.
    Hope mike got no problem w/ DMC.

saleem likes this.