1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a condo and moving to Galveston? Pros? Cons?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Nov 30, 2020.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

So i currently live in my converted Ford Transit Van which I love, but Covid has made it clear that I need a home base that I can retreat to when things like a quarantine happen. Last time I shacked up with my girl friend in the Austin area but she has a 6 year old and my kids are in college so I'm wanting a place of my own to call home base.

I've rented a condo for the rest of the year at Casa Del Mar @61st and Seawall in Galveston. This little one bedroom with a view of the ocean is great for a single guy like me. I'm currently considering buying one and living here off season and renting it during the summer when I go live in Colorado in my van.

I've been talking with the owner of the conodo I'm staying in and he rents his unit from May - September and that basically pays for the condo. Any additional rentals he makes off season is profit.

My long term goal is to buy a condo in Galveston to rent during peak summer time and live in the winter. Then next year maybe buy a condo in Colorado (Crested Butte or Purgatory) and rent that peak winter time and have it available to live in during the off peak summer. Ideally if I could get both properties to pay for themselves by living in them off peak while renting to others during peak would enable me move between the two and have a place to of my own if I need to quarantine.

Anyone have any experience living in Galveston, or owning/renting a condo there?

ima_drummer2k and Kim like this.
  2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Make sure you understand all the hidden costs of ownership. Taxes, insurance, mandatory HOA and maintenance fees. Not saying ownership isn’t worth it, but I’ve seen too many people underestimate those costs.

for income tax purposes, you will probably need to declare one of these as your primary residence. You should get a homestead property tax reduction for that property, but your ability to write off rental expenses on that property will be diminished. Those laws fluctuate a bit, so it’s best to do a LOT of research or hire a professional for tax planning/filing.

most of the home away, vrbo, airbandb type places have become a huge racket, and they milk you for every penny of your profit. You may need them in the beginning, but do everything you can to establish a personal relationship with your clientele, reach out to them, communicate with them and offer them better deals if they bypass the rental websites. Once you’ve established a clientele, drop the rental website and just use your own business website.

Two Sandwiches, gatsby, Nook and 5 others like this.
  3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice. Def trying to understand all the costs and that's why I first started by talking with the owner of this condo and he's been great sharing info. I also have my accountant on standby to help with taxes and planning, and then for sure understand management companies and VRBO etc will be a money suck and rob me of the profit. Great info. Thanks much.

I'll probably start with the place in Galveston since it's closer to my college kids and old Houston Friends.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Also, I can tell you small touches in marketing in your condo make a difference......DO you have separate Wi-fi, do you have a big screen TV with smart apps in case it rains.....granite countertops.....

Make sure you have some special things that others don't have and your condo will rent while others sit idle.

DD

Deckard and VooDooPope like this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I’m considering the view of the utmost importance but yes after that the little things for sure. The couple I’m looking at tomorrow a have had recent updates but I Need to find out about the possibility of adding my own internet since I do need to work from here and want it to be dependable and fast.
    Thanks DD

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think you have a pretty bad-ass plan dude! colorado in the summer, galveston in the winter with side-trips to austin for lovin!

i have a friend from austin who moved to galveston a few years ago and loves it there. plus, youre really not far from houston - at this point its almost a suburb.

i was actually there for the first time in 20 years over the weekend and had a great time. stayed at the galvez and went to the bryan museum, which is a must-see for texas history aficionados.

apparently the galvez is haunted as s*** and the hotel concierge has dozens and dozens of pics on her phone that guests have given her. i was skeptical, but she spent about 10 minutes going through them and telling us stories. something is clearly going on there. these were not just photos of light orbs that could be a flash from a camera or reflection or where you have to really try hard to see something...its clear as day. ghosts and figures wearing 19th century and early 20th century clothes and military uniforms. freaky!

mikol13 and VooDooPope like this.
  7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Awesome. I've heard the Galvez is haunted. I need to check out that museum. Thanks for the tip.

jo mama likes this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

For Galveston rentals in particular, it is difficult to manage during the peak months unless you stay local to maintain the space between bookings, deliver keys, etc. It is likely you'll have new people every weekend. So being in Colorado in your van while the condo is renting here may be hard. There are management companies that do all the leg work for you, but they are expensive and will cut into your bottom line significantly.

jiggyfly, VooDooPope and Joshfast like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hurricanes can be a problem.

updawg, TWS1986, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

yeah, im ghost agnostic, but i dont think those photos i saw were fake. it wasnt like some questionable orb that could be camera flash or reflection...or someone having to go "look right there, you see a face" and its really not a face. these were straight up full figures and clear faces that you could immediately see. one was two dudes in WWI era military uniforms standing side by side. lots of pics of people getting photobombed by hazy, yet clearly visible figures where you could make out their face and clothing.

i was hanging out in the roosevelt on the 8th floor and someone said they smelled smoke in there earlier. right when she said that i started smelling really strong cigar smoke and i could tell it was from a quality cigar. i took just one step back and couldnt smell it any longer. id step back into the same spot and smell it again. it was weird.

and if i lived in galveston i would eat there every day. great food. they got an all you can eat shrimp deal on friday nights.

check out issacs storm if youre interested in learning about the 1900 hurricane. one of the scariest reads ever for me.

ima_drummer2k, Kim, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I love Colorado in the summer and our mild winters here on the coast. Hope it works out for you. Looks like you are getting good advice. Storm shutters.

mikol13, TWS1986, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Surprised no on has asked about pics of the van...is it pretty sweet?

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I love Galveston. Grew up going there, surfed there as a teenager, then finally lived there for 10 years, some of which were single. Met my wife there, got married and had our first kid. I love the vibe, culture and atmosphere. The Strand nightlife is awesome and affordable. There are three colleges there so it keeps the bars vibrant. We got flooded in Ike and we weren’t going to have our kids in the public schools there so we moved, but I get homesick every time I’m there now. I’m waiting on a good deal in a beach house or something on the East End. Will probably take another Hurricane hit to get the price I want but I’m not in any hurry.

Do the math. The guy you’re renting from may have a mortgage from the year 2000 with 2000 payments that 2020 rent covers in spades. Will 2020 mortgage/rent work for you?

Condos are well known as the worst investment outside of a time share. Even trailers are considered a better investment due to the insane HOA bullshit you deal with in a condo.

Ever consider just getting a RV lot somewhere on the beach? There are several on the West End. Houses are also an option, and can rent well all year round on a per week or weekend basis.

ima_drummer2k, Kim, Nook and 2 others like this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Pros: it’s Galveston

Cons: it’s Galveston

Kim and TWS1986 like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Also the Jamaica Beach RV park has the finest lobster food truck in Galveston County.

And mini golf.

vlaurelio, VooDooPope and Xerobull like this.
  16. Asian Sensation

Where do you poop when you live in a van?

17. Xerobull

...down by the river!

[​IMG]

CometsWin, No Worries, Kim and 5 others like this.
  18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yes... Galveston has both Pros and Cons living there. I'm sure you can hire either.

Kim, Nook, VooDooPope and 3 others like this.
  20. Xerobull

I'm pretty level headed but I have seen **** over the years that has made me a believer in the supernatural. I have some ghost stories from the pre-storm houses I lived in there. Oh and a crazy Ouija board story from when I lived in a house next to the Killing Fields in League City.

Ha! Dad joke.

I love these vans, but couldn't sell my wife on them. She thinks they're ugly. We have four kids now so the Minivan she drives (piece of crap to begin with) is a bit too tight. I might try the re-sell soon.

#20 Xerobull, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020