1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

bush or gore or nader

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by brahma rocket, Aug 6, 2000.

1. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

which will you vote for or which would you vote for if you could vote?

gore could get my vote, but i think saturday night live would be funny with bush as president instead.

what about you

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I don't know, Will Farrell's bush is pretty damn funny!

------------------

4. DUDE

DUDE Member

Dana Carvey had Bush senior down pat and Darell Hammond did an AMAZING Clinton.

------------------
    "Her Box Started Buzzing Ever Since She Heard The CRÜE"

5. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

from msnbc.com - http://www.msnbc.com/news/442415.asp

And so begins the first all-boomer presidential campaign—a potentially savage affair launched, appropriately enough, in Philadelphia... Issues are more muted and managerial than cataclysmic. Voters are deeply cynical—and very bored—with politics. The race seems, at first glance, like the world’s largest student-body election, a low-stakes affair pitting the gregarious chairman of the Inter-Fraternity Council against the earnest president of the Science Club.

Bush’s campaign (and recent political career) is a mirror image of Clinton’s in 1992. Bush, too, is a Southern governor, elected in the time of a charismatic president from the other party. Bush, too, has been forced to rethink his party’s vulnerabilities. Bush, too, has assembled a thick book of position papers.

But Gore and his advisers are under no illusions about their main strategy: attack Bush’s Texas record and his new proposals. Democrats could spend as much as $20 million trying to portray the Lone Star State as a heartless death row of pollution and uninsured children. “We’re going to turn Texas into a Third World country,” vowed one top Democratic fund-raiser.

[my emphasis]

bush. or nader.

------------------
    i need a vacation

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It reminds me of a quote from the Daily Show:

Bush said, "We need a justice system that serves its accused..."

Stewart broke in and added, "A tasty last meal."

[​IMG]

It's Nader for me I believe.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Bush detractors like to make a big deal over his record in Texas. I'd like to know what Arkansas was like under Clinton. I seem to remember Perot adds in '92 describing it as pretty poor.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This looks like a job for....
    MANGO!

Help us Mango. We need your police-ination!

We're doomed.

I am voting for Bush. That way, anyone who read the post I started (RM95 reference) will be completely confused. Ha ha, I am so clever.

Mango
    Mango
    Mango!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

TheFreak:

Who is running again? Before you develop the 'us against them' philosophy, please recognize that Al Gore is running for office.

Also, Bush proponents like to make a big deal over his record in Texas.

Education:
    He cited his success rate with education -- insinuating that the entire US should coach their students to take individual exams. As an MCSD (thanks Transcender [​IMG]), I think that I know the real world enough to say that the Academic world and Industry know bs when they see it. If I hold a technical interview for another MCP or MCSD, I evaluate their experience and knowledge, not their silly prepared for title.

Economics:

I'll refrain from some of the silly quotes in which Bush lets everyone know that he goes off of instinct, not what silly economists think. Bush has touted his record with the surplus in Texas. Yee-hoo. The mythical surplus vanished in front of everyone's eyes as Texas had to reapportion for a faulty budgeting scheme. That wouldn't be too big of a deal if Bush weren't also proposing a tax cut. Whoa nellie, you might want to make sure your government works before you misappropriate your funds. I think the recent 'emergency spending' will be one of the biggest blows to Bush this fall.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited August 06, 2000).]

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Achebe --

Forgive me for assuming that the vast majority of Bush detrators were also Clinton supporters. If that is off, please feel free to correct me. If you're not in that group, fine. I'll sit back and wait for you to add some Clinton slip-ups to your signature.

------------------
    "Thick, lustrous hair is very important to me."
    -George Costanza

11. Achebe

TheFreak:

I'm 80% pro-Clinton... but that's not the issue. [​IMG] Al Gore is running now.

The issue is that Bush is selling himself w/ Texas' success on a number of issues. Don't you think we should evaluate what that success rate is?

When Republicans start evaluating Al Gore's claims this upcoming week, I suggest that we evaluate Al Gore and George W. Bush on those issues, not George Bush Sr..

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

Dubyah Speaks

12. dc sports

dc sports Member

To answer your question... the ones I know didn't like him at all. I had a college roommate from Arkansas that said most of his friends / family voted for him as president to get him out of Arkansas. He said Clinton was famous for telling people whatever the current audience wanted to hear, and not doing much of anything.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

13. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Although I can't vote if I could it would be for Ralph.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Those of you who are thinking of voting for Nader, here are your choices:

(a) Vote for Nader, feel terrific as you walk out of the polling place, and spend the next four years under a Bush presidency regretting how you voted, or

(b) Vote for Gore, regret it as you walk out of the polling place, and spend the next four years watching the Republicans in Congress and feeling terrific about how you voted.

15. Achebe

Beautiful Will,

Can I use that post as my signature?

------------------

Dubyah Speaks

16. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Will,

You speak the truth, but here is how I see it:

1. Bush will carry Texas. Even if he was not the Gov, he is Republican.

2. I live in Texas.

3. Of all of the candidates, I would vote for Bush last.

4. Seing as my vote will only count in Texas and Bush will carry, then any "not-Bush" candidate I choose will be a throw away.

5. I do not respect Bush or Gore. Either one will do things not in the peoples's best interest. Both will be puppets for money - the real player in politics. Things will basically proceed as normal.

6. I really respect Nader. Do I think he would be a good presidetn? Well, he is limited, but he could shake things up. He definitely would initiate change.

7. I cannot, in good conscience, vote for "the lesser evil." Or vote just to vote against. This has been the problem with contemporary American Politics.

8. I beleive in the means more than the ends. That is, I feel that any step towards a desired goal is equally important, if not more (due to feasability concerns), than obtaining that final goal.

9. If Nader gets enough votes, people will have to pay attention to the things he is saying. It will start as, "Who is this Nader guy." Or "how could he get so many votes." It is the hope that more knowledge gets out.

10. In addition to #9, it would give the Greens more press. This also brings up the debate of third parties, but this time, it is one that was not created just for one election, or just because one guy wasn't popular in his party anymore (Buchanan). I beleive the more parties - no matter what they are - the better.

11. This could cause a stir with the local elections - now and in the future. These are often much more important than the national anyway.

I guess that is it. I cannot compromise myself just because the system sucks.

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

17. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

nicely worded rimbaud.

------------------
    i need a vacation

18. rimbaud

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

------------------