1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls add PG to roster to replace injured Crawford

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gettinbranded, Sep 24, 2001.

1. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

The Chicago Bulls today signed free agent guard Kevin Ollie.

A four-year NBA veteran, Ollie scored a season-high 13 points on two occasions last season. On April 6 at Cleveland, he nearly recorded the first triple-double of his career in a 9-point, 10-rebound, 10-assist effort in 39 minutes. In four games as a starter, Ollie averaged 8.3 points, 7.8 assists and 5.0 rebounds in 41.2 minutes. Overall, Ollie averaged 3.1 points, 2.1 assists and 1.4 rebounds in 13.2 minutes per game. In 51 games with the Eastern Conference Champion Sixers, Ollie averaged 3.8 points, 2.4 assists and 15.0 minutes.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

...playoff tickets go on sale next monday...:rolleyes:

3. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great pickup. Ollie might lead the team in scoring. ;)

5. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I wouldn't be bragging too loudly about him. He doesn't seem to stick around too long. He's started 4 games in 4 years & played in only 153 of a possible 328 games.

Comparing that to Cato's having started 53 games in 4 years & playing in 217 of a possible 328 games, & we know what kind of a slug Cato is, it doesn't say much for "Golly Ollie". :rolleyes: Here's a link to his career stats:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kevin_ollie/career_statistics.html?nav=TextNavBar

The part that I like best is the career transactions:

CAREER TRANSACTIONS

Not drafted by an NBA franchise....Signed as a free agent by the Golden State Warriors on 10/4/95....Waived by the Warriors on 10/11/95....Played in the CBA for the Connecticut Pride (1995-96 through 1997-98 and 1999-2000)....Signed as a free agent by the Dallas Mavericks on 10/7/97....Waived by the Mavericks on 12/17/97....Signed to the first of two consecutive 10-day contracts by the Orlando Magic on 3/2/98....Rights renounced by the Magic on 1/21/99....Signed for the remainder of the season by the Magic on 3/22/98....Signed as a free agent by the Sacramento Kings on 1/21/99....Waived by the Kings on 2/19/99....Signed to a 10-day contract by the Orlando Magic on 3/8/99....Waived by the Magic on 3/14/99....Signed as a free agent by the Mavericks on 10/6/99....Waived by the Mavericks on 10/29/99....Signed as a free agent by the Philadelphia 76ers on 11/24/99....Signed as a free agent by the Chicago Bulls on 9/24/01.

:rolleyes:

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Hmmmm, a talent laiden backcourt. :rolleyes:

You can try the mama HOOP-T reference again GB, but it's not nearly as funny as the Bulls roster.

Krause was quote as saying Ollie was,"He's a smart, tough, experienced point guard who is a fine defensive player and knows how to run a team."

OK, he is a decent defensive player, I'll give him that. Why would he leave the Sixers? Oh yeah, Claxton will be healthy this year. Nevermind.

I see visions of Anthony and Ollie throwing the ball into Curry and Chandler in the post.....and it frightens me.

GIVE MERCER THE BALL. I think he'll be the only guy that can score this coming season, since they traded the other.

Have you seen that Carrot Top commercial on ESPN....with the Bulls basketball doubling as a tissue dispenser? "Why are we so BAD?"

#6 HOOP-T, Sep 24, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2001
  7. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Was it this summer that Crawford blew out his knee? It seems like it was last year. Boy, the offseason has gone by so slow. When is preseason again?

8. Hottoddie

It must really hurt to have to be a Bulls fan. :p

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Ollie is going to help put the Bulls back in the playoffs! Nahh- wishful thinking on gettingbranded and all Bulls fans part.

10. Houstone

Houstone Member

Kevin Ollie is a great point guard, in the NBDL that is...

11. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Hey, let's not knock Ollie too much here... I was at every game and at the edge of my seat the entire time he was playing for the Connecticut Pride... oh boy... those were the days...:rolleyes:

12. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I think Robinson will provide some punch, and I think Fizer may surprise too...

And Guyton...

I wasn't bragging about Ollie---it would have been posted one way or another...you guys are real close to your goal of getting me to leave...

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<b>you guys are real close to your goal of getting me to leave...</b>

Oh yeah our plan is almost complete! Lets see, get Jordan out of retirement and hope he embarrasses himself, injure Mo to get Griffin more playing time, get Fortson healthy so that it will be easier to get Marc Jackson, and run gettinbranded off the bbs. Looks like we're on pace!

14. Hottoddie

You forgot to mention that we were instrumental in forcing Chicago to complete their rebuilding of the Clippers, by trading their best player for a high schooler that has potential, but hasn't proven anything yet. ;)

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Shhhhhhhh, Hottoddie that's a secret! ;)

16. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

The clips being rebuilt is entirely dependant on Miles and Odom being able to play togather on the floor (they are the two most talented players on the team) and both of them becoming best of breed at their positions.

It could happen...

Falks statement was way off though. All the players the clips got that the Bulls had anything to do with were role players---not the above two. Yeah...we did pass up Odom...

17. Hydra

Hydra Member

What about your namesake, Elton Brand. Hardly a roleplayer IMO. He will be integral to any success that the Clipps might have.

18. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Elton will be integral to their success, yes, but you can't count on him to dominate others at his position night in and night out. He's a quality 4, but has difficulty putting a team on his back and carrying them to a win.

Odom has the talent to do that night in and night out. Miles has the athletic ability to do that night in and night out.

Thats why the Bulls---still looking at building a championship team---saw him as expendable because they didn't believe in his ability to be dominant enough at his position to push a team to greatness. Falling short in free agency, they drafted and traded for young players (no GM in the league was going to take a chance at becoming the goat who helped Krause get out of the hole he dug for himself by giving him an established star) that they believe have a chance to be dominant at their positions night in and night out.

People keep saying we traded our best player. Yes, we did. But our best wasn't good enough.

It's still Krauses team, and just being good (a la the Wolves) isn't good enough for him. If it was, he would have kept Brand, signed Robinson, and drafted Richardson or White. He wants dominant players and Brand wasn't it.

Yup, I'm being defensive. But people bash without reason or logic. It's out there, people don't want to see it. If you see it and disagree--cool--open up a thread and I'll debate it with you. But all to often it's just senseless.

19. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I really don't have time to look up your past threads, GB, but I have the feeling that you wouldn't have been talking about Brand as an expendable piece of the Bulls before he was traded... Maybe, I'm wrong here, but it does sound to many of us like you are just trying to convince yourself that getting rid of someone who was playing like a vet after only 2 years was a good idea... I guess I haven't seen Brand play enough to say this with any authority, but do you really think he has shown all he has in just two years? How do you know he won't dominate at the 4? It certainly will be tough to tell in the 4-heavy Western Conference, but it looked like he was well on his way to being an Eastern Conference All-Star...

20. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

No...I said going into the draft that something was wrong with the composition of the team--they weren't athletic at all---and that had to be changed---and I knew that Brand could be traded. I thought we'd get an established player, or Chandler AND a player like Magette or Richardon...

I'm not convinced it was a good trade---thats only after two seasons of watching Brand and Chandler develop more. But something had to be done...and I agree with them doing something. I do think though that Curry will be the real deal, and Tyson his complement, rather than the other way around. Put another way---I think Eddy is Brand with 3.5 inches on him...