1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building the right roster around Simmons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Dec 14, 2020.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

For 8 years now, we have tried to build the perfect team to compliment James Harden. This meant, in large part, that we needed capable defenders around him at all times:

Dwight
    JSmoove
    Beverley
    Ariza
    CP3
    Capela
    Tucker
    Gordon
    Covington

All of those guys were above average to elite defensively.

Another common characteristic they share...they were capable off-ball on the offensive end. This doesn’t mean they couldn’t play with the ball as well, but they had to at least be effective off-ball.

With Simmons, assuming that’s the route we go, our defensive situation will be completely reversed. Simmons is an elite defender, capable of defending all positions on the court. This means, from a 40,000 foot level, we can afford some defensive compromises if it sufficiently benefits our offense.

Like Harden, Simmons needs players that are capable off-ball, but the need for shooting goes up astronomically. Where Harden could get away with 1 or even 2 non-shooters on the floor, Simmons needs all 4 players he shares the court with to be at least average shooters, and 1 or 2 should probably be elite.

That means, first and foremost, that we must have a capable stretch 5 playing with him at all times. Fortunately, or more likely strategically, we now have 2 stretch 5s in Wood and Cousins. That is among the harder positional players to find, so it’s a great start to building around Simmons.

Shifting to the other 3 players on the court, ideally you have 1 or 2 elite, 40%ish 3-point shooters. He could also use a great pure scorer...ie someone that can get their own shot.

But above all of that, all future resources should be committed to adding another star to pair with Simmons. Stars are near impossible to find, but absolutely necessary to compete for championships.

Finally, they need to just be entering or be in their prime during our championship window, which likely starts 2-3 years from now.

Some potential options (in order);

Bradley Beal
    Zach Lavine
    Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
    Fred VanVleet
    Buddy Hield

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

How 'bout we wait to see who we get back? Planning a roster around Simmons is depressing anyway.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Feel like jumping the gun. Probably should be a Dish thread. He's not on the team.

Harden can flat out score and shoot. Simmons can just score if he's perfectly underneath the basket.

[​IMG]

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

he needs shooters and guys that can get buckets because he’s not scoring much, and he doesn’t even try to shoot

how exciting...

clutchdabear, clos4life, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hopefully if a trade is absolutely necessary this season, it's in Houston's best interest. Simmons and picks for Harden.. Is not the way because he can't shoot the ball...

Unless I missed the trade already happening. And in that case... Unless wall/Cousins aren't just pre-season hype.. I'd say there's several tough years ahead.

At this rate have the season play out and revisit at the trade deadline or next season to move harden, by then maybe there's a new owner (yeah it's wishful thinking)... But just look at the LA Clippers - Sterling was more toxic than anything I've seen by Tilman and the players came around.

But if the team gels, I'd go for playing it out since harden wants to look professional finally. He's not going to go out and be trash.- especially for his brand.

clutchdabear likes this.
  7. finsraider

finsraider Member

i was told this same thing when I made a post about potential landing spots for Harden. I think the writing is on the wall unfortunately.

Highlyrated, Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

I held out hope when Hakeem first asked out of Houston too.

I've got precedence and faith on my side.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

But ...

Bearius Jones likes this.
  10. finsraider

finsraider Member

we can hope. There’s also plenty of examples of stars demanding their way out and getting it.

The moves we’ve made this offseason definitely could to either way, but they are decidedly focused on youth. A new core of Simmons/Wood/Lavine with Wall to guide them doesn’t sound so bad.

D-rock likes this.
  11. ak99999

ak99999 Member

No more one dimensional players please!

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes it does.

Do you want to struggle to get in playoffs every year like Portland?

You got 3 guys on max contracts and you will not sniff the top 4 seeds.

No thank you.

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Again, not sold on Lavine.

14. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Simmons is largely undervalued on this board. At his size to be able to run the point, break down defenses, and distribute or finish at the rim is highly valuable. If we get Simmons in a deal that also includes 2 frps, that would be a good deal imo.

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

And this time you were told the same. Nothing changed.

Premature thread is premature.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Like as many 40% 3 point shooters as you can hire on one roster. Going from like the sweetest left hand stroke to maybe the ugliest.

D-rock likes this.
  17. lionaire

lionaire Member

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

neither Lavine or Wood are on max contracts, or anything close. Both are 25, so potential for upside.

Wall is here simply because we can’t move him, but his contract becomes valuable for salary matching when we get to the final year.

I’m not talking about trading a suitcase of assets for Lavine...he’s not worth that. But as an upside play and good fit with Simmons, Gordon and a 1st or 2 might be worth it:

Highlyrated likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Will Bulls give up Lavine and 1st or 2 + EGo?

Lavine is their franchise player right now.

Highlyrated likes this.
  20. finsraider

finsraider Member

maybe. Hard to tell. Not sure you’re building anything with him as your headliner.

It’s funny is the similarity in things we could say about Aaron Gordon and Lavine. Gordon is a good fit with Harden, Lavine a good fit with Simmons. Both make about the same amount, with the same contract length. Both high flying athletes. Both the face of their respective franchises, but neither are going anywhere with Gordon or Lavine as their centerpiece.

D-rock likes this.