1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Build Your Own Championship Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman84, Mar 22, 2006.

1. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Since our hopes are spiraling downward this season, i thought it would be fun for us to discuss building a championship team since we are now looking towards the draft and the summer. You guys gotta try and build a team that is in the mold of our previous championship teams. Try to make the players realistic options, although there will be some pipe dreams since todays role players are getting over paid in most cases

I'll throw in my picks:

Hakeem - Yao( i know he cant compare, but its just for fin)
    Drexler - Tmac
    Kenny - Damon Jones
    Vernon - Stephen Jackson
    Elie - Cuttino
    Sammy - Sura (i wish) or Redick
    Horry - Rashard Lewis or Kiralenko ( i know they arent possible, but i
    couldnt think of anyone else
    Herrera - Najera (for fun)
    Scott Brooks(why not) - Earl boykins

I would have liked to put bruce bown in the Elie spot and Cat in the Sam spot, but i dont think Bowen is going anywhere...

Looking forward to seeing everyones picks

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I did this for another thread. Here it is again....

93-94 team

C: Hakeem and Yao. There will never be another Hakeem, but Yao may develop into something close in terms of effecting the game. Before this season I would have taken Shaq instead of Yao. Although, neither Yao, nor Shaq can ever dream to play defense like Hakeem did.

PF: Ben Wallace and Otis Thorpe. Both very good rebounders and good defenders and neither could hit anything more than 2 feet away from the basket. While Ben is a better help defender, Thorpe was a better man to man defender. Ben cant palm and throw a basketball the whole length of the court like a baseball either.

SF: T. Prince and Robert Horry. Both play solid defense and are complimentary role players. Piston fans have been waiting for Prince to emerge as an offensive force just as we Rocket fans waited for Horry to be one. Keep waiting. Prince takes the edge in terms of one on one defense while Horry takes the edge in terms for clutch shooting. I realize that Prince is not a great outside shooter but in 93-94 Horry wasnt shooting from outside as much as slashing and dunking. 94-95 was when Horry transformed into an outside shooting PF.

SG: Ricky Davis and Maxwell. Both are nutcases and both can shoot you in or out of games. And both can play good defense when motivated. Maxwell would still beat the crap out of Davis though. He was a certifiable thug.

PG: Damon Jones and Kenny Smith. Absoluetly useless for everything except 3 point shooting.

Bench: Sam Cassell and Luther Head. Rookies, fearless, potential.

Mario elie and Josh Howard. utility players who do everything while bringing an attitude. mario of 93-94 was amilder version of mario in 94-95. Thats why he didnt see much playing time in Finals against Knicks. ofcourse there was the matchup problem too.

Carl Harerra and Eduardo najera. Foreign, goofy looking, effective hustling role players.

Scotty Brooks and Earl boykins. Short, fiesty, effective at PG for short spurts.

Chris Jent and Lampe: Good luck finding court time.

94-95 Season

C: Same as 93-94

PF: Horry and Horry. This is the year that everyone realized how valuable Horry is at PF playing with a dominant low post player. Horry allows 4 shooters to be on the court along with a post player. Great entry passes, dead eye shooting, and clutchnessity. Same Horry today, except he moves 3 times slower.

SF: Mario Elie and Ron Artest. Ron Artest is Mario X5. Everything that Mario did, Ron does 5 times better. perhaps a better choice would be Josh Howard.

SG: Clyde and Vince Carter. Slahsers, dunkers, inconsistent outside shooting. Although, Carter is better outside shooter, while Clyde was better playmaker. Similar defenders. Both need to be second fiddle to win it big. Carter also got a chance with Dream. Too bad he was 99 years at the time.

PG: Same as 93-94. Damon is never gonna change. Neither did Kenny
    Smith.

Bench:

Cassell and Mike james. Feerless, take no prisoner attitude. Similar game style.

Chucky Brown and Chuck Hayes. Yeah baby!!! The chuckster connection.

Pete Chilcutt and Lampe. Yeah, lampe is following the footsteps of some legends.

Earl Cureton and a carrot in my refrigerator.

3. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

So you would take VC over tracy?? cuz of his back or you got other reasons?