1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buddhist protets beer IPO

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Sep 20, 2005.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

In Honor of gwayneco, I will start to post what I think is vain religious protest. And though it's old news, I still can't believe the outcry from christians groups over magic cards and pokemon. But that's better than not allowing an alchol company to go public, generate more revenue, and get people drunk.

-------------------
    http://www.biz-day.com/read/stocks/...ide_if_thai_bev_can_list_after_october_18.htm

SEC to decide if Thai Bev can list after October 18
    Dow Jones
    Thailand's Securities & Exchange Commission said Monday its board will meet after October 18 to decide if Thai Beverage Plc, the country's largest beer and liquor maker, is eligible to list on the stock exchange, following the company's submission of documents for its planned initial public offering.
    Chalee Chantanayingyong, the SEC's senior assistant secretary-general, told reporters the SEC decided to meet after October 18, which marks the end of the Buddhist Lent, out of concerns about a possible outcry by Buddhist monks if it approves the listing during the period of Lent.
    “We have to be fair with everyone,“ Chalee said.
    The SEC had postponed since August its decision on whether Thai Beverage is eligible to list.On its part, Thai Beverage submitted its IPO filing to the SEC on September 2 after a long delay.
    Thai Beverage's listing plan has been controversial from the start, with anti-alcohol groups, including a number of Buddhist monks, holding protest rallies in the past few months against it.
    The protesters claim that listing beer and liquor companies would encourage alcohol consumption, which Buddhism, Thailand's dominant religion, frowns on.
    They also said the listing is against a stock exchange rule stipulating that listed companies must run businesses that benefit the society.
    Supporters of the IPO said the listing of Thai Beverage will boost the stock exchange's market capitalization and recapture the interest of both institutional investors and retail players.
    SEC Secretary-General Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubal had pointed out that “there is no law or regulation barring a beer company from listing on the stock exchange if the application meets all the requirements.“

2. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

Please do not stoop to Gwayneco's level.

3. wizkid83

I was hoping it'd be a little fun, as well as show that every religion, there's something/someone that makes you raise an eyebrow. I mean, when's the last time you heard some one complains about buddhists, I'm mean it's the buddhists.

4. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

I know it's all in good fun, and it illustrates a good point.

5. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Damn Buddhists - always pouring gasoline everywhere and setting fires.

6. wizkid83

During the vietnam war, a buddhist monk pour gasonline and lit himself on fire. Today I will do the same. Any BBSer's here a buddhist monk :D ?

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Closest thing I can offer you is Mr Meowgi :p ;)

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Clearly there is something wrong with the Buddhist religion when we see that Buddhist leaders or most Buddhists will not condemn such actions by extremist Buddhists. Also did you know that there have been many reports of abuse of in Buddhists monasteries such as senior Zen monks hitting under junior monks with sticks. I'm not saying that Buddhism is evil or that I hate them but obviously Buddhism advocates and tolerates violence. Also the PRC has a very large Buddhists population and the PRC has behaved antagonistically toward the US so Buddhism is the religion of many of our potential enemies.

Its only the liberal PC hypocrisy that will criticize Christianity at every opportunity yet will give Buddhism a free pass.

9. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Wizkid;

We get it you hate Buddhists. :p ;)

10. wizkid83

You are putting words into my mouth Sishir. Where in my post did I said I hate buddhists. Argue the facts, and the facts speaks for them selves. If the buddhists wont do what they did, then I wouldn't have posted what I did. :p

11. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

They don't believe in god they don't like beer, if they were sitting on an ocean of oil I think we might have ourselves a war. ;)

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

This is the best you've got? :D

I'm against prohibition and I like beer. But man you're reaching.