1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brokeback Mountain

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Anyone going to see this? I imagine a basketball fan site isn't the place to find a bunch of people wanting to see the "gay cowboy movie," but I haven't had this much interest in a movie in a long time. Pulitzer prise winning story, McMurtry co authoring the screenplay, Ang Lee at the helm, and absolutely rave reviews by the critics left and right for both the movie as a whole as well as the individual acting performances.

Seeing as I haven't seen the movie yet, I'll comment on something I have seen......Yahoo! user reviews of the movie. I noticed that in Yahoo movies critics gave the movie an overall "A" score but users only gave it a "B." I decided to look at the user reviews, and although I didn't read them all, I ended up looking at every page while glancing at the little blurbs next to most of the reviews. What I found amazed me. (Apologies to all--including myself--if I end up sending my own thread to D&D).

The first ten pages or so (which would have been the most recent reviews) were all graded A's. There were a few B's and maybe even a C or two if I remember correctly, but nothing that could have dropped the overall score from an A to a B. The reviews absolutely gushed about what a wonderful film this was, and most of the reviews were intelligently and thoughtfully written. It wasn't until I got until the last two or three pages (the very first reviews written) that I was able to realize how the overall grade dropped from an A to a B. The last few pages were filled with F's. Almost universally, these reviews were A) written by people who freely admitted they hadn't seen the movie, B) written by people who were trying to push their religious agenda with regards to intolerance towards homosexuals, and most importantly C) written by people who sounded like complete morons. I'm talking third grade education......tops! Absolute idiots. And as someone who--though politically a bit "all over the place"--leans more to the right, I was so thoroughly embarassed to be a Christian.

Let's face it, there are some wonderful people in this world, but there are also some really worthless people. People who won't do an honest day's work and who will steal from you at the first moment your back is turned. They might vote Democrat because they feel that is their best chance for a handout. My guess is that most "thinking" liberals would just love to shed their image of being associated with such people (without shedding the votes, of course!). I haven't been able to call my self a Republican in years, and lately it has really hit home as to the main reason why. The Republicans just can't shed their image of being associated with the religious right. Don't get me wrong. Christianity is supposed to have a very positive message of truly loving your fellow man, and there are some people who truly espouse this virtuous message. MadMax is over there, and he'll always be a better person than I am. Same thing with many memembers of my own family. Still, there are some truly ignorant assholes out there that have a really warped idea of what it means to be a Christian, and they sure as hell embarass me.

Funny that a bunch of movie reviews could bring this all home to me.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, lemme get in before the move. :)

There are about five movies that I'm really excited about seeing at this point and Brokeback Mountain is at the top of the list. One of my best friend's Dad read the short story in The New Yorker years ago and immediately said it would be an amazing movie. From reading the reviews, it sounds like he's right.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if this movie wins the Best Picture. It's almost certain to be nominated, based on the Globe nominations this morning. I'm guessing it'll result in further backlash against Hollywood from the right.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Off to D&D we go.

This movie is getting some great reviews, but I don't think I could get myself to go see a movie about guy on guy action.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It just looks like a sappy melodramatic love story to me. The only reason I would want to see it is because hopefully if it is successful it might help in eroding the homophobia. But it just doesn't look like my kind of movie.

5. droxford

droxford Member

There's no such thing as a gay cowboy. (Except for the Dallas football team)

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

YES!!!!

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I once accidently ended up seeing this gay movie about a gay kid in Salt Lake City. I don't remember the name. but he was being extorted by this club owner whom he had sex with. the movie was cool until they showed the tape of them having sex.

anyone brave enough to tell if they know what I'm talking about.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Sounds like gay p*rn.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I hear that there is some really graphic guy on guy action in this movie; for that alone I'm not interested. I have no problem with gay content on film, but I don't need to see it consumated. I will give a good example: Six Degrees of Seperation. It's what really made me respect Will Smith as an actor. He plays a gay con-man, but there aren't any graphic sex scenes. It's done tastefully.

Before anyone debates it, no, I don't really care for straight sex scenes in movies, either. I think that they rarely have a place in the film as a plot device. If I want to watch people getting it on, I will watch some p*rn.

Anyway, I'm sure that my wife will make me watch this flick at some point. I will just make it a point to go get some popcorn when the hanky-panky happens.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

In before the move to D&D, since I don't post there for lack of intellect ;)

Someone was handing out free pre-screening passes for this movie last night. Did anyone go?

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't know, I just don't know. But I would like to read some reviews to find out what is amazing about it. As it stands, this just isn't my type of movie, gay or straight. I didn't watch the Notebook, so I probably won't watch this.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Stockton and Malone: The Untold Story

...anyways, I'm not going to see any movies about gay cowboys unless they're eating pudding...

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

This is a "wait until it comes on tv" movie.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

ahhh

Zing and Zing!

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Larry McMurtry = Rice grad.

Must be a good movie

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to see it. I guess it depends if anyone I know is planning on seeing it. I'm glad its being made but as FB said I'm not big into depressing love stories.

For anyone interested in gay themed movies I would recommend The Wedding Banquette which I thought was a great movie.

17. Isabel

Isabel Member

lol... :D

(the Boondocks strips were great too)

I have a female friend who got really excited hearing about this movie. "Gay cowboys. It's like p*rn." Apparently she gets turned on by seeing two guys going at it, the same way a lot of men like to watch girl-on-girl action. Whatever. It doesn't work for me. If I thought the guys were hot, then I would be depressed that they were using that hotness on each other instead of one of us. But, on the other hand, if it was a hot guy with a female, I could always be jealous that it was her instead of me. Fortunately I don't tend to have crushes on movie stars.

Anyway, interesting idea - and, as there are gay people in all sectors of life, I don't see it as unrealistic at all - but I don't find myself especially eager to see it either. Not sure why. If nothing else, it's just another type of story of forbidden love, and there are all kinds of those stories...

18. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

this movie is rediculous. the only reason that its getting recognized is because its so freaking demented. gay cowboys? if there were any gay cowboys back in the day im pretty sure they would have got the crap beat out of them. what the heck has heath ledger done anyway? he makes a makeout scene with some other guy in a movie and all of a sudden hes a great actor? pffff. i heard on the radio that they shot the makeout scene over 20 times to get it right. how jacked up is that?

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Did you mean: ridiculous