1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

brokeback mountain thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by michellexiao, Dec 17, 2005.

1. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

And here are the stories on the front page of that lovely site;

Swastika-wearing Muslim attacks Home Depot in car (breaking news!)

Shock a Muslim – with the truth!

Christians threatened with terror attack (breaking news!)

Group tireless in supporting persecuted church
    (Founder of Voice of the Martyrs jailed, tortured by Communists for years ) World Net Exclusive!

This website is hilarious!

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I am sure this comment I saw on the IMDb site from a user in the good'ol Midwest town is resonating with many folks here.

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

...It is indeed a sad day for this country when our Nation's proud heritage of the rough, masculine cowboy has been turned into a homosexual...

I'm guessing this guy is too young to remember the Village People.

#123 gifford1967, Jan 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Hey Jr! Are you a rancher?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It is well written insofar as it made me laugh. The author of this piece is kind of obsessed with cowboys and their symbolism to a degree that you don't normally see in most pencil-necked geek adult males. Quite seriously, it seems like the guy has some repressed, latent, homosexual urges of his own.

6. Fatty FatBastard

Here's my take:

The movie is about gay cowboys. Therefore, there is no way in hell I'm watching, much the same as I'd never watch "The Crying Game."

Could the movie have political motivations? Possibly. Who the hell cares. It's about gay cowboys.

If hollywood wants to make a movie with a homosexual theme, so be it. Honestly, who the hell cares?

7. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

Saw the movie over the weekend and I have to say, it was a very good film. A lot of the negative comments here on the board are unwarranted. I can bet most of them have not even seen the film and are prejudging it because of inherent prejudice and bias against homosexuals. Brokeback Mounatin is miles better than the typical overblown Hollywood blockbuster movie that is so popular among dumbed down Americans today. It's sad that good movies that make you think don't do as well in this country than it would do in other countries.

BTW, although I'm a tolerant person I don't condone homosexuality. As a Christian, I'm led to believe that homosexuality is a moral wrong. But, that doesn't mean we should treat people with disrespect and hatred just because of their different sexual orientation. Remember, Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Irish, Italians, Germans, etc., were treated terribly in this country in the same way homosexuals are treated today. It shocks me to see that the lessons of the past have not been learned and that we still continue to live in a divided, hateful society. Also, the comment about Ang Lee not being a successful director is wrong. Crouchng Tiger Hidden Dragon, Sense and Sensibility all were great hits both commercially and critically. Sure, Ang Lee bombed with the Hulk, but don't remember him just because of that movie. Even great directors like Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, Spielberg, Lucas, and Scorsese had box office failures as well.

8. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I haven’t seen it yet but it was shot in Canada, much of it here around Calgary, so if you like you can think of it as a Canadian gay cowboy movie. ;)

9. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

At the movie theater I was surprised to see a lot of straight couples (young and old) and elderly folks. By the end of the movie everyone was breathless. Some were crying and some were stunned. The movie is not about "gay cowboys" --as reported by the media. The movie is about love--something in short supply in the world we live in. I hate the way the conservative right wing demonize this movie in every possibly way. If there are so against this movie then my suggestion to them would be to don't watch this movie. Is there an agenda in the movie promoting homosexuality? Absolutely not! If people want to complain about an agenda then why aren't the conservatives complaining about The Chronicles of Narnia. I loved Narnia, but come on now--that movie had a lot more propaganda then Brokeback Mountain ever will.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

:D

Former Homosexual and Wife say Beware of 'Brokeback Mountain'

"The Marlboro Man has succumbed to the homosexual agenda and John Wayne must be turning over in his grave," said Irene Bennett, co-host of Straight Talk Radio.

Straight Talk Radio is the very first daily national radio program strictly focusing on the issue of homosexuality and the homosexual agenda, featuring a former homosexual man and his wife as the hosts.

"First they got in the door with Will and Grace, then Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Now that people have been made 'comfortably numb,' they're pushing the limits with this one." said Stephen, the show's host and Irene's husband.

"This movie sends a very dangerous message to America's youth - and especially married couples with a struggling spouse. I just spoke with a married man on the telephone who is contemplating leaving his wife and children. He's says he's gay - and Brokeback Mountain has influenced his decision. I spent a lot of time with this man telling him it's not what they're making it out to be. I know - I was there for 11 years." Stephen continued, "Believe me, we can sadly expect to see a lot more men like former Governor Jim McGreevy of New Jersey not only resigning from their jobs, but from their wives, children and families."

Irene said, "They're talking about Oscar potential for this movie? I agree.

First, I give it a 'thumbs down' for its message. Second, I give it an Oscar for the number one homosexual propaganda movie of the year."

Stephen concluded, "In the end, don't be fooled. This movie is not a 'love story' at all. Ask the real wives, children and families whose lives have been destroyed, as they have 'lived' Brokeback Mountain. Personally, I would have made the movie from the wives' and children's perspective and appropriately called it Heartbreak Hotel."

link

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I don't think the problem with this movie is the fact that the cowboys are gay. I think it's the fact that this movie is being given awards based solely on the fact that it's about gay cowboys.

It's like a few years ago when all you had to do to win an oscar was portray a mentally challenged person. I think awards should be given based on the actual performance of the actors.

12. SamFisher

By all accounts, it is an excellent movie regardless of the sexuality of the characters. Do you get your news from the Colbert Report? You do know that's not real, right?

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

If you have seen the movie, I don't know what to say to you about your conclusion. If you haven't seen it, I have nothing to say.

14. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Wow, you got me there. :rolleyes:

By the way, the accounts of who? Film Critics? I haven't seen it due to the negative feedback of friends that have seen it. I know plenty of people from all sides of the political spectrum, both sexes and sexual orientation (gay/straight) who've told me to not waste my money on it. I'll probably watch it if it's on TV one day. Just not something I'll probably spend my money on.

Remember when Fahrenheit 9/11 was supposed to be the greatest documentary? Remember when it got a 30 minute standing ovation? I just feel like praise for this film is more politically motivated than it is motivated by the merits of the film. The hype surrounding this film is out of sight. The president was even asked about this film today.

I'm sure if I were a film snob, I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I'm not, though so I'll reserve judgement of the film itself until I personally see it. I wasn't commenting on the caliber of acting and saying it was bad. What I was saying was that I think regardless of the acting, this film would've gotten recognition by many of the awards shows. My comments were directed more towards the hype surrounding the film.

15. SamFisher

By the way, the accounts of who? Film Critics? [/quote]

yes.

no. I never saw it.

no. I never saw it
    You have no idea what the praise is for...except for what it says its for. You haven't seen it, so you can't really judge if somebody thinks Ang Lee did a good job directing it.

No, it was monday. By some kid from KSU. So?

No, you're not reserving judgment on anything. You just gave us your judgment. You just said that the only reason why people who saw it liked it was because there were gay cowboys involved. That's why I thought your post was ridiculous.

"hype" is a fluid term. But the critics who are saying its great are talking about the acting, script, screenplay etc.- not becuase it's about gay cowboys. Hence the awards.

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Liked it.

17. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Brokeback Mountain is only "not worth seeing" if you have unrealistic expecations for the film. Even the trailer for Brokeback is highly misleading, it makes the film out to be much more dramatic than it actually is. The movie is more about two men being apart than it is about them being together and about the everyday more than it is about the incredibly over the top emotion you get in your standard Hollywood movie. If you appreciate subtlety and a keen artistic eye (which Ang Lee undoubtedly has) then you will enjoy Brokeback.

However, if you don't like movies that are more "real" than they are dramatic, then don't see it. There's nothing wrong with not liking certain kinds of movies.

Finally, I think anyone would be hard pressed to deny that Heath Ledger is amazing in this movie. It's a shame that he and Hoffman had to have such great roles in the same year...

18. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You haven't even seen the movie. Have you seen the other movies that were nominated for Golden Globes in the drama category-The Constant Gardener, Good Night, and Good Luck, A History of Violence, Match Point?

If you haven't, how can you possibly come to any conclusions about Brokeback and its artistic merit relative to other movies in the field?

19. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

20. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

It's a pretty good movie. My advice for those who are curious to see this movie is to don't get caught up in the hype nor should you listen to all these bigots who dismiss this movie as a sissy, gay cowboy drama.

And I think Heath Ledger should get a oscar for his performance.

#140 nappdog, Jan 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2006