1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

brokeback mountain thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by michellexiao, Dec 17, 2005.

1. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

The movie is still not shown here in town:( Heard there are theatres in several places banned this movie.

2. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Just a bounce to the thread. I saw the movie today. I am very impressed by the fine directing and great acting. It is very moving, and it's more about love than about gay.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

seems like they are succeeding...

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

But the rest of that article goes on to say that maybe some of the success Brokeback having is due to the small number of theaters it's showing in. I'm sure if you were to show King Kong in a select number of theaters it would draw record per theater earnings. I'm also interested to see how Brokeback will draw in less liberal areas.

5. real_egal

The point is not that movie is going to out-sell King Kong, I don't think it will. But it's showing the success it is having, given the controvercy around it, and the prediction from some "experts" (what's new) and some posters here. If you haven't seen it, box office success or not, it's a very well-made movie, I would recommend you to see it.

6. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I have seen the preview for this one a few times on TV. If I didn't know what the movies was really about, by looking at the previews it looks like a regular love story, not cowboy on cowboy love.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Well, if you're showing a gay film primarily in San Francisco and other liberal parts of America it will do well. When you try to show it in other parts of America I bet it will tank.

I'll watch the movie when it comes out on video just because of the great reviews it's been getting, but I have no interest in seeing it. Just like if you were to ask a gay guy to go see Wedding Crashers, Terminator, Any Given Sunday etc.. They probably wouldn't be interested because it's not their thing. Just like a gay love story is not my thing.

8. real_egal

In fact, gay love story is really not my thing either. Well, who knows, maybe I am a closet gay as well:) I trust Ang Lee, and I got curious after seeing so many reviews. I am glad I went to see it, although a little uncomfortable about those scence. But like Austin said, it's more a love story than a gay love story.

9. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I agree. I am a big fan of Ang Lee and I am happy that he probably has a shot for Oscar because of this movie.

But I haven't decided to watch this movie or not. No disrespect for gay ppl, but seeing a love story between two men on screen is just too weird to me. I think I will feel uncomfortable. Guess I am just too conservative on social issues.

10. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

What I said was the previews don't show a gay love story, in my eyes.

11. real_egal

Have you seen Wedding Banquet?

12. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Brokeback Mountain will never be the greatest gay cowboy movie around as long as people still remember Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. ;)

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You obviously haven't seen Midnight Cowboy.

14. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

No. But I am now! :D

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I haven't seen Wedding Crashers yet but there's a lot of latent homoeroticism in Terminator and Any Given Sunday or almost any sports movie.

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

whoa I just saw this reply :D

I went to Beijing, Shanghai, Canton, Fuzhou, and Guizhou this summer. It was pretty much the same in terms of male PDA everywhere. If we had any Chinese people from China who ever posted in D&D, they could probably give better insight.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Defenders of the frontier?

"A cowboy (Spanish vaquero) tends cattle and horses on cattle ranches in North and South America. The cowboy is in charge of the horses, as is the wrangler. In addition to ranch work, some cowboys work in and participate in rodeos, and many cowboys work only in the rodeo."

That was from Wikipedia: not a definitive source, but very similar to what I learned in college History classes. Another thing I learned (and reverified at that website)? About 30% of cowboys, at least in the late 1800s during thier peak activity, were black and/or hispanic. How many cowboy movies do you remember with blacks or hispanics as central characters?

My point is this: the image that most of us have maintained of cowboys is based largely on fictional and idealized accounts. I remember hearing one commentator state that Brokeback was just the East Coast intellectuals idea of what they thought cowboys should be. Well, considering how much of the imagery was developed wholesale by screenwriters and novelists for almost a century, hasn't that always been the case? This is just taking it in another direction.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Like other's have said, I didn't see this with in China at all. It's very rare for Asian males to show PDA any where, especially to another guy.

19. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

20. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

It's basically a chick flick with the chick replaced by a dude.

Big deal.