1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring back T-Mac After 09-10?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by waytookrzy079, Jul 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Here;s a question that i've been thinking about.... Lets say T-Mac misses the first 25-30 games or so and comes back and shows that he's still got something left in him and can dominate when needed to, would you guys want Daryl Morey to extend his contract?

2. Aussie_Fozzey

Aussie_Fozzey Member

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

MLE or less... I might consider it...

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

5. Raven

Raven Member

I will be so happy the day that he's no longer a Rocket. Not just because he's a team cancer and a diva, but also because every T Mac thread will be forever locked out of GARM.

He. Is. Gone. Period.

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Here's a question that I've been thinking about.... Let's say T-Mac misses the first 25-30 games or so and comes back and shows that he's still the same underachiever who can't dominate even when we need him to (only now with even less athleticism), would you guys want Daryl Morey to trade him for 50 cents on the dollar or hold onto his contract for its expiring value?

7. cuddie

cuddie Member

If that were to happen, I would probably opt for the expiring route. Even with the cap limitations expected of that year, a player signed with the money freed up from his contract will most likely be substantially better than anything we'd get in return for the T-Mac you have described. I actually can't tell if you're being sarcastic this time, so I gave you a serious answer.

As for the original post, for the right price I would definitely consider bringing him back if he can stay healthy and play well. The man's got talent. I don't think he's a cancer or a diva at all, as he has shown none of the behavior we saw this year in years past. I think he mismanaged his injury situation and that's it.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Time to admit the tmac yao experiment ultimately was a failure in getting the ring, and maybe time to put that era to bed. I could not imagine mac taking the back seat and defering to whoever we champion as our next showcase wingman.

9. komac

komac Member

Actually I think he is a diva, remember what happened before he came to the Rockets, in Orlando.
    I agree with you, he has tremendous talent but it's a real shame his injuries stopped him to showcase his skills. And that's why I don't think the Houston organization will sign him again: he's too much of an injury prone palyer.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Exhibit A: Toronto

Exhibit B: Orlando

Exhibit C: During a season, talking about quitting basketball at the end of his contract to go play baseball because he was losing motivation.

Exhibit D: On several occasions, blaming his lack of success on having less talented teammates. Even if true, talking about it publicly was pathetic.

#10 BrooksBall, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  11. mbiker

mbiker Member

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - by Albert Einstein

NBA Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results while your injury prone star ages. - by Albert Einstein & Mbiker

1 person likes this.
  12. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Wow its incredible how much everyone dislike Tmac. I wonder what everyone would say if he comes back and win us games and plays very well.

13. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

People are silly.
    /Ignore.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Youre right, we might even squeak into the playoffs at the 7th or 8th seed. The future is bright.

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

we won't make the playoffs this season. how did a prime t-mac manage in Orlando with experienced veterans playing with him??? WORST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE. Even if T-mac scores 30ppg when he comes back it won't make us anywhere near the playoffs.

but remember...the last time tmac dominated his team with no good players other than him on this team...what did they end up with???

DWIGHT HOWARD

16. cuddie

cuddie Member

One of the first things those dedicated to bashing T-Mac list in an attempt to rationalize their irrational hate is the amount of content "TOFs" post in the GARM relating Tracy in Orlando, content that I don't see. I won't list specific posters, but let's just say he's stuck in the past...anyways that's a different discussion for a different time.

When I said "years past", I was referring to his years in Houston. He came into the league out of high school, and I doubt anybody on this board hasn't matured since their high school/college years. On second thought, there are many exceptions when it comes to this board but yet again, another discussion for another time.

His contract doesn't expire until next year, and I believe those comments were made relatively early into his contract. It's not uncommon to look towards the future. You know, life after basketball, which is something every NBA player must contemplate at some point in his career. Tracy has a love for baseball, and it doesn't make him a cancer nor a diva to state that he may look towards baseball after his basketball days. I do not recall him citing a lack of motivation as a reason.

Perhaps my memory is failing me, but I don't remember Tracy publicly blaming his teammates in Houston. I remember "It's on me", which was also idiotic but better than blaming his team. If he has, kindly provide a link to an interview or a video and I will gladly concede. It's a spineless thing to do and if he did it in Toronto or Orlando, I'm going to tack that onto immaturity. If he actually did it in Houston, then I have no argument at this point. I care about Tracy McGrady in a Houston Rockets uniform, and for the 3 years prior to 2009 we have had him, he has been a class act.

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

He may have had veterans on that team, but none with much talent. Juwan Howard at the back end of his career, an underachieving Drew Gooden, and Tyronne Lue at the point.. Veterans, SURE...OLD Veterans.. 7 of those 15 arent even in the league any more. The rest of that roster was filled with a bunch of underachieving scrubs.

I'm not saying I'd want to bring him back if he tears it up this year, but you have to cut him SOME slack. NOT a single superstar in the history of the NBA has been able to carry a team without a supporting cast, except for maybe Lebron.

18. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

If TMac comes back and scores 30 ppg with Scola, Landry, Battier, and Brooks........ I'd bet money that we make it deep into the playoffs. Assume TMac and Artest cancel one another out (production and numbers wise, not heart wise), we were 1 center away from beating the lakers. Even if we had Deke, we probably would have won. Hell, if we had a 6-11 guy fron the Fondren rec center we would have had a fighting chance. I don't think we are championship calliber yet, but i don't think the sky if falling either.

To answer the OP's question, yes i would resign him for about 6-8 mil per year if he could still get me 15-20 ppg.

19. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Not at a max contract. Probably more then a MLE with a shorter duration. 2 to 3 years with the third year a team option. If Tmac comes back strong then the Rockets will be able to contend however How long will He last until another injury?

20. logicx

logicx Member

Indeed...but unlikely...