1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring back JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Verbal Christ, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He can handle the personalities on this team. As much as I would love to see Thibs grind this squad into the hardwood I'm not so sure that is the best approach with the current team dynamic. Scott Brooks would be McHale lite.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would love it too but didn't he state that he isn't going to return to coaching?

3. PCT24

PCT24 Member

He was trying to get the Pels job before they hired Gentry. Would be a home run hire.

4. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

It would be interesting for sure to hire him back. Not sure Dwight would like that though

5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I was a huge critic when we hired him. I was angry actually

But I grew to love him as a coach

The YOF's b****ed and moaned but I think any real Rockets fan at the time appreciated having him.

It is very rare to want an old coach back but JVG gets my nod and full support

The man put the time in, made sure his team was prepared. With real talent I would love to see what he could get out of this squad. Rings.. many rings I suppose

#5 Realjad, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

I want JVG too if he accepts Moreyball for offense. He will make Harden work on defense or Harden will turn into a Francis situation and we'll trade Harden for an even better player.

7. onreego

onreego Member

How much of JVG's defense was due to Thibs though? Just wondering.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Did he have Thibs under him in NY too?

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqYOcB9X2jA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

Like I said in another thread, we will go from a fast paced team to a team with no offense under JVG. I know he's popular as a broadcaster. But popularity doesn't make you right for a job. Under JVG Tmac did the EXACT same thing Harden does now, ISO, ISO, ISO. No plays just guy standing around looking at one player dribbling the ball. The league has changed and you can no longer win games holding the ball. You have to be able to score in this league

12. onreego

onreego Member

Looks like it.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

That is my concern also but if he brought in a legit offensively gifted assistant coach I think things would work out well.

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

JVG is probably my all-time favorite coach, so for that reason I would not wish this squad upon him. He couldn't be successful with this group. It would be exactly the opposite system of what these players were brought here for, and they would never be able to co-exist with each other. JVG would have a stroke trying to coach some of the personalities on this team.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Les doesn't get along well enough with him... /thread

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would do it, and I was a big critic, but I think Les hated his style - so probably not happening.

DD

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ball must go through Howard, that's what he is going to dictate. Don't know. He is old school, slow down grind out. Being away from NBA for so long as a head coach, that is another concern. Selective runs, in-and-out, get back to D, that's his stuff.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not a fan.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

NBA is moving away from his game, seems to me. But they guy is smart for sure.

20. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Not a fan of retreads. Yes he is a retread. He was let go for a reason. It's not like the first go around was spectacular. He hasn't coached since 2007. The nba if different now. He's fine in the booth.

Jvg is the equivalent of football fans wanting gruden or cowher. Their time has passed. Let it go. Plenty of new blood to give shots to.