1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brilliant: Trump says EPA to issue notice to San Francisco on homeless

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Sep 19, 2019.

1. adoo

adoo Member

Mojo back-pedaling, unable to name a successful Repub agenda.

W's reckless spending to finance 2 needless wars cratered the US economy, leading to an economic depression, which hurts everyone, in particular small business.

Trump's ineffective trade war hurts American farmers and consumers

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Downtown Austin is way cleaner

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

First, I am not a Republican. Second, the Republicans definitely do not always get it right.

I would observe that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, while well intentioned (address the terrorism problem over there, rather than here), never would have happened if the scope and scale of the commitment in terms of lives lost, cost and time spent had been known and communicated at the outset. I would not have supported these wars had I known these things.

All that being said, the example is another example of the federal government making things worse in their mishandling of the situation by attempting to resolve it by massive spending and excessive intervention in the situation.

They are doing the same thing currently in Ukraine, by the way.

tinman likes this.
  4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

And here is yet another example of the Democrat left failing in spectacular manner in its predictably misguided reliance on big government mandates, this time on energy:

The net-zero Dark Ages: Democrats’ war on the poor

The Dark Ages were accompanied by darkness (obviously), cold, poverty, starvation, plague and depredation. The world became smaller and feudal. Infrastructure collapsed. Everyone suffered, but especially the poor. It’s pretty much what the Democrats are doing to America today.

Let’s start with the “Dark New Deal.” The North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), which is overseen by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), made clear a few days ago that Americans should prepare for unprecedented electric power failures and blackouts this year. A supposed 21st century, “advanced” country that cannot support the predictable energy needs of its nation? Now that is primitive and a colossal failure of government.

The problem is obvious to everyone except the White House and Democratic state governments. Energy policies that precipitously shut down traditional energy sources and rush toward unreliable, unsupported “new” energy sources wreck our economy and society. Suddenly there were blackouts throughout California and the state was forced to import energy from neighboring states because of what the governor called “unreliable solar and wind power.” Yet the state continues to shut down nuclear and fossil fuel plants and rush toward “renewables.”

At the same time, Sacramento pushes one of the most resource-rich and car-dependent states in the country to $7-a-gallon gasoline. The objective, of course, is to force people to stop using fossil fuel-powered cars and buy very expensive electric cars, or just walk or ride bikes, or not travel. The related objective, of course, is to force people to use electric power at home or simply to have hotter homes in the summer and colder homes in the winter. Variations of these plans are copied throughout the country.

The problem is that these plans will never get America to a “net-zero emissions economy” — unless progressives really intend a “net-zero economy,” i.e., complete economic collapse.

Yet again, the Democrat left big government mandates have blown up and failed the American people in epic fashion. This is not the exception. It is the rule.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Good electric cars don't have to be expensive.

It's just a lie to peddle because people think Tesla as THE electric car.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Main stream media won’t touch this topic

thank goodness we have Joe

Joe Rogan
    @Os Trigonum
    @Nook

#46 tinman, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    MojoMan likes this.
  7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Ahhh but in hindsight you can pretty much say that about all big cities....

I'm not taking up for the issues that are happening in SF, but all cities have their issues... But unfortunately, you guys love to bring the politics into it.

Most of the cities have had a Republican or Democratic Mayor at one point or another and yet the issues are still the same... It all depends on which party is in office for the other party members to start throwing blame...

T_Man

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't intend to throw blame. It's just what it is.

I lived there years ago when they proposed plans to add an extra million in housing to a city that was already dense at 600k. Prices there have probably 2.5x since.

I've also lived in LA and Orange County. In a place like crime-free Irvine, their stance on homeless is less liberal. Police are sent, the vagrant is talked to, then given a friendly ride to neighboring Santa Ana.

It sucks. Homelessness is a problem.

Affordable housing is a separate issue, and not necessarily the cause of homelessness. In SF, there were several missions and treatment programs for people genuinely wanting to restart their lives...in a city w/ 3x the median cost of living. Higher rent definitely makes rehab or baseline services an expensive nightmare.

Again, many of these people want to be invisible, so documenting, means testing, or providing actionable/credible targets for services is generally a logistical nightmare.

Doesn't mean it's doomed for failure. Just needs a higher level of effort people have been normalized to exert.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

There’s no republicans in San Francisco
    The people will dump the woke lunatics politicians in favor of less lunatics

you know why? Because it’s affecting them now.
    All these fancy restaurants leaving the city
    Companies moving
    Can’t go to the drug store
    Have to go strict security for Louis vutton
    Poop poop on the sidewalk

You can be the most woke person there and you can’t stand it because you are rich and you don’t want your French bulldog kidnapped like what happened to Gaga

businesses are getting screwed
    Cops doing nothing equals politicians doing nothing

#49 tinman, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

The Rogan clip I posted is really good.
    His guest went back to the 1900s for the opium houses. The city has been known forever as a drug users paradise. Fentanyl is pushing the city now to its current situation.
    They better start arresting drug dealers at some point or it’s not going to get better

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Federal medical-prison compounds in Tulsa to force addicts into rehab should have been done long time ago .

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes homelessness is a problem in many cities including Minneapolis. Every summer and even through the winter we have homeless encampments. Obviously the weather is much better in SF so it would be understandable that more homeless would go there than come to Minneapolis.

I did my master thesis on how to develop housing in SF and homelessness isn't an easy problem. I've been very critical of Defund the Police and how many municipalities have implemented it. I think SF and other cities does have a problem with essentially tolerating things like shoplifting and vandalism. There is a certainly a place for LE and even though NYC's Stop and Frisk policies had many problems addressing petty crime did lead to overall improvements in safety. That said homelessness isn't something that can be solved by law enforcement. Just pushing laws against camping and vagrancy just shuffles the problem rather than address it.

Addressing drug addiction is a big one. Addressing mental health is another issue. All of that costs money that government at all levels isn't willing to provide.

Just providing affordable housing alone is a massive and complex problem. SF shows that just relying on the market doesn't work as SF is among the most expensive real estate in the World. No private developer is going to commit that much money to then build "affordable housing". The same goes for Austin, Minneapolis, or any other city that has been seeing an influx in population. Homelessness in someways is a byproduct of success in attracting people to live in the city.

T_Man and Nook like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

You are funny

14. tinman

Supporting Member

25% poverty rate