1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brilliant: Trump says EPA to issue notice to San Francisco on homeless

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Sep 19, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump and Putin - 2 guys that the good lord should Smite ASAP for the good of humanity.

DD

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I would challenge anyone to name a public policy agenda endorsed by the Democrat left and implemented by Democrat leaders during our lifetimes, in areas that are and have been controlled by the Democrats for a long period of time that has succeeded in a positive way for the regular people in a cost-effective manner.

They taint, undermine and ruin everything that they touch. This is just one more example of that on a very long list.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread is old because it has the T word and it triggers people
    But he acknowledged the problem

MojoMan likes this.
  4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

We were in SF about 5 years ago and yes they do have a section downtown that has a lot of attics and drug paraphernalia on the ground... We actually had to go thru it from the airport to our hotel.. Our driver did warn us to avoid that area....

But on another note, once we got thru that SF was a nice place and we had a great time... The only dirty area was within that 2 block area and amazingly the attics stay in that area and don't cross to the other side...

T_Man

5. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

sounds like hamsterdam. bunny colvin in charge over there?

MojoMan likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

Was there during the pandemic , it was wayyyyy different. But at least the traffic got better. Kinda nuts that they lock up the toothpaste and there’s 10 less Walgreens and cvs.

you stay near golden gate park ?

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It looks like it.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The video was fair. It basically only concentrated on the negatives of San Francisco (it actually left some out such as the incredible cost to visit). The reality is that homelessness, drug use and petty crime are really bad in San Francisco.

Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I bring up homelessness often on these boards. @rocketsjudoka does as well.

Honestly, pointing to a city and saying they have a lot of homeless doesn't really do much.

Why are there so many homeless people in places like LA and San Francisco?

What has California and these cities done to address the issue?

What have other cities done?

It is a lot more complicated than most people think.

tinman likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

can we just build an underground cavern were they can live?
    [​IMG]

11. tinman

Supporting Member

My bad.
    You and @AroundTheWorld keep it real.

I know Austin banned camping and other things.
    For San Francisco, the yellow productions travel dude hit it on the spot.
    The shoplifting rule is real, plus the cops don’t arrest drug dealers. I had a buddy back in the day tell me that the drug scene was great in SF in the early 2000s. He ended up overdosing there and was in coma for weeks. That dude is not the same guy anymore.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

In San Francisco you have two separate issues that get connected together and while there is some cross over, they are not the same.

As for the homeless population in San Francisco, I don't blame the city for causing them to be homeless. Many of them are not from San Francisco, they come from all over the country because of the weather and because there are resources in San Francisco that are not available in other places. What I suspect will eventually happen is what other cities have done, they will have the police harass them and attempt to force them out. Austin has done this because there were too many.

If the "left" is guilty of anything in San Francisco, it is preventing the building of more housing and more affordable housing. Home owners are VERY powerful in San Francisco and has successfully put in a lot of restrictions to limit new building.

The "Right" and their obsession with San Francisco is weird...... it is still one of the very most desirable places on the planet to live, you would think they would target another area.

mtbrays, Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

Clean Air (remember smog and acid rain?)
    Clean Water
    Expanding health care coverage and reducing health care-related bankruptcies
    TARP Auto Bailout
    TARP Regular Bailout (this one overlapped with end of Bush admin) - you know, just preventing a global depression and economic collapse
    Fin-Reg redesigning the banking system stability
    Anti-Poverty programs (poverty is the lowest in modern history)
    Anti-Hunger programs (starvation is the lowest in modern history)
    Repeated deficit reduction (only to be repeatedly undone by the GOP)

The list goes on and on.

Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  14. adoo

adoo Member

after you have named one public policy agenda endorsed and implemented by Repubs that was cost effective

i can name some failures by the Repubs
    • W and the NeonCons giving permanent tax cuts and then started 2 needless wars under false pretenses
      • wiping out the surpluses he had inherited from Clinton, and then proceeded to generated the larges budget deficit than all his predecessors (combined) had generated
      • leading to the bankruptcy of the US financial industry,
    • Putin's useful idiot, the Orange Hair, starting a trade war, not just against china, but also US allies
      • leading to global supply chain bottlenecks, paving the way for a global inflation

#34 adoo, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  15. Nook

Nook Member

The shop lifting rule is definitely real and drugs are readily available.

I understand why they changed the rule, they were arresting and releasing a lot of petty offenders - but the rule change has brought a lot of problems.

To be clear, I don't agree with ever law in San Francisco.... it has flaws, homeowners and HOA's have entirely too much power, there are some on the extreme left that have odd fascinations like ending male circumcision .....and If I were raising kids in San Francisco I would REALLY worry about them getting involved in the drug culture....... and there are a lot of obviously homeless that largely can do whatever they want.

Blatz, Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Nobody has kids there . Once they do they move to the burbs or Texas or Florida.
    That’s not a secret, the d&d should talk to realtors.
    Or drive and look at the license plates at open houses

plus the lottery school system made it worse.
    Instead of equality , you get pissed off parents sending their kids to private school cause they can not got to the school across the street

Nook likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Wrong on every count. Each would warrant its own thread to address it, however, and I know from long experience what a bunch of hammerheads you guys are. So I do not see the point of going to all of that effort.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, if you live in San Francisco you better have money.

tinman likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tenderloin?

Some parts of the Civic Center are bad. The extreme density of the city makes it have good and bad spots every other block.

It also normalizes people to ignore the homeless even when they **** or dump bodily fluids on the streets.

There are many homeless that try to stay invisible, whether out of shame, despair or fear. It's just the mentally ill or violent get all the attention.

Like nook mentioned, California has been a homeless destination because of the weather and fairly liberal policies towards them.

The other problem is affordable housing that makes a city like SF impossible to accomplish without building ugly ass apartment complexes like China. Property rights, geography and red tape also stop any progress on that. They hated the millennium tower and there's some engineering problems starting to surface.

Just think of downtown Austin mostly surrounded by water with nowhere else to expand, then speed that up twenty years.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

What the Republicans recommend that is successful is the respect of constitutional rights, human rights, and the encouragement of a positive pro-market environment, especially towards small businesses, sole proprietors and entrepreneurs. In other words, initiatives that protect people FROM the government and the large big-money interests, and not initiatives that empowers them at the expense of the rights, freedoms and protections of individuals, families and small businesses.

I know this might be difficult for you guys to comprehend, but the federal government is our biggest problem right now. More massive spending and other such measures by the federal government is not the answer and is sure just to make thinks still worse.