1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brewers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have already answered this question once. One last time, I'm not aruging, will not argue, and have never argued that we couldn't use another bat. I'm not criticizing that position. I am criticizing the critical comments made towards our general manager regarding us not acquiring another bat. Just because I think we should add a bat doesn't mean that there's a bat out there to be had at a reasonable price. Until a significant bat moves, I'll reserve judgment.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

How could you defend Tim Purpura? He has did nothing since being named GM, his biggest move was getting Quintero for Redding. Giants got Randy Winn for a backup catcher and pitcher coming back for Tommy John surgery. Purpura could have done better than that. He should call up Luke Scott right now and put him in the lineup cause I guarntee he is not worst than Burke. Instead of Scott, he has Mike Burns and Chad Harville on the 25 man roster. They pitch one time a week and they suck when they do that.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Luke Scott is a bat, and he is a very good outfielder.....

Berk at first, Lane, in Right, Willie Center...Scott in left....

Bring him up before Sept 1st to make him eligible for the post season...we don't need 11 pitchers.... Mike Burns is wasting away in the bullpen.

DD

4. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Luke Scott should be brought up now. I doubt he is the answer in Left, but he would certainly be better than Burke. I have nothing against Burke, but he is what he is. A light hitting middle infielder. Hopefully in a couple years he'll be a very good light hitting middle infielder.

5. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Ok, getting ready to take off to the game today... and I am going to call my shot.. Petitte is going to be superb, the bats are still going to struggle, but we will get enough O to be leading the game late and Lights out Lidge will take care of the rest. Then it is off to the west coast where we will turn this thing around. Have faith Astros fans. Plus when have you known this team do anything the easy way.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I disagree in part. I'm picking an 8-1 Astros victory.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I want Scott here as well... but I don't think he has to be called up before September 1st to be eligible, since he was on the club at the start of the season.

8. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Rocketman, I would prefer your outcome, and all that really matters to me is that the Astros win with a phillies and fla loss.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hell yeah. Just like the Chronicle so pessimistically put it yesterday, we can "sputter" to victory all we want! :D

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

To anyone who won't let this subject die: Unless you work in the front office and know what Purpura is doing behind the scenes, don't keep coming here saying he hasn't done anything and don't keep trashing him. It's impossible to guage his effectiveness as GM of this team so far when A) Hunsicker left rather suddenly right when the offseason signings were starting B) Drayton already knew what exactly he wanted this offseason, it was Beltran or, Beltran and C) when one season hasn't even freakin passed.

And not to mention the fact that it has already been stated, in full, that Purpura tried to make a move before the trade deadline but for many reasons, none of the proposed deals came to fruition. So stop beating a dead horse already.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Burke batting 3rd? I can't believe that.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess Morgan not having a day off since April is reason enough to give him one today (but of course, you'd rather have the team winning regularly to give such days off).

But... I have no idea why Garner is batting Burke 3rd. Did he just have a mental lapse when he was trying to write Berkman... and then was just too lazy to start a new scorecard, so he filled in the rest as he normally would.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Chris Burke is batting third in the lineup today. That might be the most sad thing I've seen in a lifetime of watching baseball. At this rate, why not put Andy in the four spot? :)

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or better yet, just completely reverse the batting order and bat Andy leadoff. I mean, if we're trying to do something to "shake it up", why not go for something really ridiculous. Imagine if the top of that order was able to get some runs... then, the pitcher would be in for a world of hurt with Berkman batting 7th!

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wonder if Phil could just pinch-hit Morgan for Burke right here... it would be quite a bold move.

EDIT: Haha.. oh man... either Garner is just flat out a genius (lucky), or Burke hits like where he bats.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

insert foot into mouth... :D

way to go Adam and Chris! What a crucial time in the season to get power from those guys.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

LOL, evertime we critisize Buke he homers.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You kinda wish that Pettite would put up a solid inning after our solid inning... ah well, at least we got some offense today.

Also, Pittsburgh just tied Philadelphia.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well then please keep trashing him.

I know Willy T needs to get a little more patient at the plate and take more walks, but this guy is a major league hitter.

20. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Wow, that girl than sang God Bless America in the 7th inning was horrible. Hey girl, you're white! Stop trying to sing street style.