1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking News 41 has died

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by edwardc, Nov 30, 2018.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

RIP to a fellow Houstonian.

cml750, fchowd0311 and ryan_98 like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

He was a good man, and I wish we had more politicians like him.

cml750 and No Worries like this.
  4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

RIP. I didn’t agree with your policies but I never doubted your love of our country.

I know it’s early but I cant help but wonder if they ask Trump not to attend the service like the McCain’s.

Hakeemtheking and mdrowe00 like this.
  5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Worst obituary tweet ever

6. Buck Turgidson

Something tells me that is not an actual official tweet from the AP. If it is, they should be as ashamed as you should be on a daily basis.

peleincubus likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sane Republican Presidents. Truly a dying breed

Eric Riley and mdrowe00 like this.
  8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We've lost another from that generation. Rest In Peace, President Bush. You were an example of what intelligence, character, and candor should look like in a president. We miss it.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

they are pushing a narrative

13. AkeemTheDreem86

A decent, humble man. Will be missed.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Very underrated. When he went against his no new taxes pledge he essentially gave up his presidency. He did it for the good of the country. He always put country first and you could trust him

jcf, Sweet Lou 4 2, Rashmon and 2 others like this.
  15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Likely the first time I agree with you.

Dafuq? If the AP has nothing nice to say about a man's passing, then just shut it!

Anyways, RIP GWB, good man, husband, father and a Rockets fan. You'll missed.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The world just got a little more peaceful and less evil.

17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Rest in Peace, Mr. President. Truly the last of a dying breed of political discourse...to where image wasn't that important and the country was. Since his presidency, everything has been cultivated BS in Washington and the inmates took over the Republican party to combat the "evil" liberals.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A very sad but not unexpected passing. He was the last of a dying breed. Presidents who served in World War II. He also represented a genteel conservative politics that has fallen out of favor particularly in the Republican Party. He was a pragmatist and as such was despised by many in the Left and the Right.
    To me his biggest and most lasting accomplishment was the American with Disabilities Act that changed the way we look at the built environment and equal access profoundly. For my own field of architecture things have never been the same since.
    Speaking for me personally as a college student who protested the Gulf War I admit I was very unfair to him. Looking back I can see how much forethought and restraint was put into that war compared to the ill planned and ill executed conflicts we find ourselves embroiled in.
    GHW certainly was perfect and his flaws were many. He lacked the oratory and charisma of the men who preceded and followed him. While he possessed a global vision often was lacking one at home. His flaws though were not ones of greed and hate. As much as another recently deceased leader he put country ahead of party. No more so than in the 1990 budget which led him to be called a traitor by many in his own party and likely cost him reelection. It was an act of clearthinking and rationality, the type of political courage that we have rarely seen since.
    Finally as a houstononian I will miss seeing him behind home plate. I’m glad that both he and Barbara lived long enough to see the Astros being the first World Series to Texas.
    God Speed George Herbert Walker Bush..

Deckard likes this.
  19. cml750

cml750 Member

He was a good man. The 1988 election was the first one after I turned eighteen so I gladly voted for him. I was so into politics after seeing how good a President Reagan was. I actively participated in politics back then while at college. It was exciting for me. Bush was never as good of a President as Reagan but he was a great man who would have easily won re-election had it not been for that idiot Perot. History will always see him as a one term President forgetting how a third party affected that election.

Astrodome likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know a lot of people like to bring up that Perot cost Bush the election but that isn’t exactly true. Perot dropped out of the race for a while and Clinton’s numbers went up. Perot did take votes from Bush but he also took votes from Clinton and most likely Clinton still would’ve won even without Perot.

FranchiseBlade, adoo and dachuda86 like this.