1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bradford our best receiver? or too early to tell?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Sep 30, 2002.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I really like the way this rec. is playing. He is showing real skill and ability. I know in general we are real weak at WR (We probably will draft a WR #1 next season)...Are you disappointed with the play of Gaffney thus far? Or do you think it is too early to discern whether Bradford is a true keeper? Any thoughts?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

rookie receivers traditionally don't perform that well, even if they go on to have good careers. bradford is clearly the #1 option for carr right now...but gaffney will be fine...let's give him more than 4 games! :)

but draft charles rogers, anyway!!!

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

He's the most experienced, at the very least.

Gaffney has talent, but he doesn't have the head or the experience.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Kevin Dyson took a long time to develop too. It just takes some time. But he's shown us nothing so far. I'd like to see some glimpses. But honestly, Carr is on his ass almost every play. until get the OL back everyone is going to look bad on offense.

5. milo

milo Member

Our first pick in the Draft will be our best reciever so i'll just wait patiently :)

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If we can get Rogers in the draft, I see our 3 receiver set being

Rogers
    Gaffney
    Bradford

Occasionally you can throw Black in as a slot receiver.

I think we should cut Lewis at the end of the year. Wasted cap space.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Gaffney just needs time to develop, as do 99% of rookie wideouts. Rogers is the man and Roy Williams isnt that far behind.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unless there is a player that we can definitely use in free agency that we need extra cap space for, I don't think they should cut Lewis. The guy is still one of the best return men in the league, and him getting us good field position will be critical with our poor offense.

9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

If we dont get some depth on the OL it wont matter who we have playing receiver because Carr wont be able to find them laying on the turf.

10. milo

milo Member

Im talking about the draft.....our O-line depth is on the injured list

milo

11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I believe our starters are on the injured list not our depth.

12. milo

milo Member

I believe our depth is created because our staters are on the injured list. It gives more playing time to the backups thus giving them a ton expierience so that when the return to backing up the starters---the will be very good quality backups and we will be set to take what we really need next season--a gigantic reciever :)

13. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Why does everyone want to cut Lewis? Okay so he dropped a for-sure TD pass, in a game we won anyway.

Jermaine Lewis is one of the most dangerous return men in the NFL. The guy has blazing speed, and can be a good slot receiver ot get short yardage in a quick slant play.

The dropped pass happened, and since then everyone has wanted to cut this guy. I mean, just give the guy a break, he made a mistake, he's a good player, and can be a real difference maker on the special teams. Just cut the guy some slack.

14. Refman

Lewis has a large salary and his return stats aren't any better than Avion Black. Since when has a good return man won football games? If they did then Mel Gray would be wearing Oiler Super Bowl rings right now.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Desmon Howard essentially win the Super Bowl one season for the Packers? Not to say that he did everything himself, but I believe he ran back punts/kickoffs for TDs and he won Super Bowl MVP. They may not make spectacular run backs every game, but the occasional TD on special teams is a huge bonus since our offense is so stagnant anyway with all the rookies.

And as for comparing his numbers right now to Black's, it is still pretty early in the season, and I don't think anyone questions whether or not Lewis has more talent than Black on special teams. Like I say, if his salary is somehow stopping us from signing a key FA, then I can see a reason for cutting him...but otherwise, I say keep him around because the guy can make things happen.

16. Refman

The Texans have the third highest payroll in the NFL. Lewis does have a high salary number for a special teams guy. It will cause us to have to make some difficult decisions down the road. We would be well served to terminate that deal ASAP.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

or... we can release him down the road. what's the big deal? lewis is a commodity, imo, and a damn good one; i've been overly impressed with him. he's fearless, absolutely fearless on punt returns and the guy fields every punt cleanly, which saves the offense valuable yards and limits tunrovers.

the texans' payroll is not a concern; they've reworked glenn's deal and have a lot of guys signed to 1-year deals who will probably be gone next year (banks, allen, mitchell). casserly knows how to work the cap; look what he did in WAS. there's no reason not to use every ounce of your cap from year-to-year as long as you make sure not to fill it with dead money. cap space does not roll over at the end of the year.

18. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I still would go D-line, O-line, or LB with the 1st pick instead of WR. when was the lst time the 1st WR drafted was an NFL stud? Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, etc. were all steals found after the Top 15.

19. ThaFranchise33

Right now i would have to say that Bradford is definitely our #1 option. JLewis is fast, but he ain't a true reciever. I do feel that JGaffney will do good things. If Texans had better running backs, I don't thing our recievers would look as bad.

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

David Boston...
    This guy is a hell of a rec. He's a local guy...from Humble, TX. And best of all he's a FA. The only knock on this guy is the MARY J found in the squad car he was placed under arrest in. That was not his. I knew him personally and it doesn't fit his demeanor. Bottom Line...if the Texans clear enough cap you can grab this former Chronicle POY for a mere 3-4 million a season. One thing is for sure...He's not interested in a loser and that could spell trouble for the Cardinals in re-signing him.