1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bottoming Out or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dmoneybangbang, Feb 4, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

[​IMG]

Tanking is dead, that is prolonged sucking in the hopes of nailing a franchise player through the draft.... the new odds have become a tank buster but young draft talent is still concentrated close to the top.

So bottoming out is a 3 season (including this one) duel strategy of trying to get high draft picks and clearing cap space to be predatory if/when the opportunity arises (or the dreaded flexibility).

Blue chip(s)- Woods

Keepers- Nwaba, Tate, Kevin Porter Jr, Kurucs (pick up team option), Sterling Brown, Kenyon Martin Jr, Mason Jones

Movers- Dipo, Gordon, Tucker, House, McLemore, Exum, Cousins

[​IMG]

Trade as many of the "movers" as possible at the deadline and let the chips fall for this crazy Covid season. Use the next two seasons (projected ~$88 million in salaries on the books per year) to try and compliment Woods through high draft picks/good draft picks, FA, and/or trade to form a new core. Obviously the length isn't set in stone but is based upon Wood's current contract and our draft pick obligations.

If you are shaking your head at this, then maybe you are thinking WOW or some of the clever acronym is the current answer. I can understand that and I can't really argue my strategy would be any more fruitful, but I just think things are setup for a rebuild.

This is a good website to keep track of Rockets picks this season and beyond

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Surprised that Kurucs is in your keepers section. He's playing terribly, like even worse than Bruno at his worst.

ak99999, Bo6, saleem and 5 others like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I might try to keep one of Nwaba or Sterling Brown

Probably Sterling since he is our second best 3P% with acceptable attempts. 45% (3P% on 3.6 attempts)
    Nwaba 28% (3P% on 2.3 attempts)

Mason Jones being best (54%)

#3 ApacheWarrior, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Fair. In the context of bottoming out, we can pick up Kurucs $1.8 team option and see what we really have. His off court stuff is what is most concerning to me.

Exum could be a keeper for the right price as I think he fits into the our defensive identity. But also that's an expiring contract.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Even more surprising is that Wall is nowhere to be found.

And yeah, Kurucs has shown me nothing thus far. The only other quibble I have is with House; he's young, has a decent all-around game and outplays his contract. You don't dump value like that unless you need that piece to get something big in return.

D-rock likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Wall is Wall..... pretty set in stone as we will either need to attach a pick to hurry up and move him or wait it out and hope his $47 mil expiring nets us something.

We need bodies to fill out a 15 man roster so we will cycle through a lot players like Kurucs.

House isn't getting you something big in return, he can optimistically be attached to Tucker or Dipo.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Worse than Bruno.

Easily.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just not Kurucs.

No thanks.

9. dmoneybangbang

If it's the off court issue I understand.... if it's a picking up a team option because you need to fill out a 15 man roster issue then I don't.

I don't realistically see him being in a trade package, but that could also be hit fate.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Its both.

He is worthless on court and do not want him anywhere around Porter.

11. dmoneybangbang

Bruno has been in the league since 2014 and Kurucs since 2018. Let's keep some context here.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kurucs is worse.

It's not about longevity it's about play.

13. dmoneybangbang

That's just silly. You need end of bench guys, especially if you are going to be taking flyers on guys.

14. dmoneybangbang

Because two years and a few games after being traded is enough time to conclusively say he's worthless..... No.

He's not even that important, it's just silly how stubborn some folks are.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

What do you like about him?

What does he do or have potential to do at elite level?

Bruno could at least be disruptive, block shots, get steals, deflections AND shoot 3ball.

Kurucs is mediocre at everything.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

This player is not worth taking a chance to negatively influence Porter.

Kurucs is a dime a dozen end of bench scrub.

17. dmoneybangbang

His rookie season was better than any season Bruno could string together because he actually has some bball IQ. Kurucs is a much better shooter than Bruno and their PER 36 are a lot closer than you think. Kurucs has played a total of 2036 NBA minute vs Caboclo's 1293 NBA minutes.

He's really not all that important to the Rockets, but your player analysis isn't correct. We have him on a contract and can pick up a team option. It's as simple as that from my perspective.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We'll see what we have in Kurucs this season. After that no need to throw good money after bad. If you're worried about filling the 15th roster spot, our recent signings at $1.8M or under include Tate, Brown, Nwaba, Jones, KJ Martin, Austin Rivers, Jeff Green, Gerald Green, and House (first season). There are better options. I'd rather sign even an undrafted rookie than give Kurucs his fourth year. He has off court issues and is playing terrible basketball. It's extremely unlikely we pick up his option.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Tanking is for losers. There I said it.
    &
    This isn't a rebuild, it's a remodel.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

On Wall , I think most of us realize we're stuck with him for a couple more years , he's just not going anywhere because of the salary and he really doesn't fit the timeline for this team competing again which is likely beyond his usefulness.
    But he's a positive impact on all these young players .... I can live with that while we reload.

I'm with you on House , he does outplay his contract , I don't move him unless I'm getting a substantial upgrade to the starting 5 or a premium draft pick.

BamBam, topfive and dmoneybangbang like this.