1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boselli out for year? To retire????

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old School, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

The Texans have a press conference set up today for some sort of annoucement. Some have speculated that it is bad news about Boselli.

Keep your ears open for any news.

os

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

dude, you're glass half empty!!!

i say boselli is coming back EARLIER than expected!

3. Old School

Old School Member

I hope you are right but I doubt they would call a news conference to announce that. I'm guessing he'll be put on season ending IR.

os

#3 Old School, Oct 15, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2002
  4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Why is the news regarding Boselli ALWAYS a disappointment? The Texans have done a very, VERY poor job of managing fans expectations on Boselli's status. They keep leading us on, then crushing those hopes with futher delays and setbacks. That huge salary of his could definitely be put to better use.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ARGHHH...I keep thinking to myself, "Well, we keep losing these close games, if Boselli were in there opening holes and protecting Carr, we would be winning." Whether it is true or not, I don't know, but now we will have to wait a long time to see. :(

7. Old School

Old School Member

HOUSTON -- Five-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle Tony Boselli will miss the rest of the season for the Houston Texans after failing to fully recover from three shoulder surgeries in the past year.

Boselli was the Texans' first selection in the February expansion draft and was expected to be a cornerstone at left tackle as first-round draft pick David Carr's protector. But three shoulder surgeries since last October have kept him on the sidelines.

The Texans scheduled a news conference for this afternoon.

Boselli, 30, claimed by the Texans after he was left unprotected by Jacksonville, had worked with the team since the start of preseason but didn't begin limited contact drills until Sept. 3, wearing a brace to protect his left shoulder.

Boselli and Houston officials never offered a date for Boselli's return. There had been speculation he would play in the season opener Sept. 8 against the Dallas Cowboys but Boselli didn't start working out in pads until five days before that game and then with the protective brace.

He had been listed as doubtful for each of the Texans' first five games this season.

Agent Tom Mills told ESPN.com that there has been much speculation that Boselli will retire, but the only immediate decision is that the tackle will shut things down for this season, with his future to be re-evaluated at another time.

"Who knows if he can ever play again?" Mills said. "But this isn't the time for that decision. He'll save that one for another day. The prudent thing was to decide he couldn't play this year, to keep rehabilitating, and to see where he's at heading into 2003."

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

is his contract guaranteed? or are we spared if he is forced to retire?

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I don't think any NFL contract is guaranteed if you cut a player. Would just be a cap hit for the remaining signing bonus which wasn't accrued.

Problem is (and I'm not a NFL capologist) is you can't cut an injured player. Good news is they surely have insurance to pay him out of (so no money out of pocket to the team), but bad news (could be) until he decides to retire his salary (and bonus) would count against the cap.

Again I think I am correct but please correct me if I am mistaken.

10. Gascon

Gascon Member

(Reaching up to the sky ala Tim Robbins)

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :eek: :confused: :mad:

11. Live

Live Member

Looks like LT is a priority in the 2003 draft.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Man .. . this seems almost CATO-rific

I see how the knicks feel on the McDyess Issue

Rocket River
    :(

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Devastating News. I know it was a risk drafting him, but I really felt he would be able to play this year. With his injury background, I dont see how anyone can specualte he will ever be back. This is terrible :(

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

What about going after Bryant McKinnie who is unsigned by the Vikings?

15. Timing

Timing Member

Argh! Damn! Well we still have Ryan Young coming back anyway.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

He has another year maybe two left on his contract. I think it's just one more though. It will be very interesting to see if Houston will try again for next year or cut him or maybe try to just talk him into retirement. One of the Texans made very clear was they were going to stand behind the players they selected in the expansion draft this season. They were going to let them play out even though Lewis, Coleman, Glenn, and Boselli had huge cap hits. The Texans wanted to show future free agents that they would take care of their players. Hmm... guess it's Pitts at LT for the rest of the season. At least Young will replace Herndon, god that guy sucks.

17. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more "rollout right" like they did this past Sunday. That will give Carr a little more time to throw by increasing the distance the right ends have to run after beating Pitts. Ryan Young(replacing Herndon) coming back will help immensely. Plus they may have to keep the rb home on the left on all pass plays. They don't throw to them that much anyway.

While this is certainly bad news about Tony it's not necessarily the end. The way I understand it he doesn't need any additional surgery. He just was not regaining strength in the shoulder as fast as they would have liked. Some people are fast healers, some are slow. I think this way the pressure will be off him for a while. He can take some time off, rest, concentrate on range of motion and extremely light weight exercises for 2 or 3 months to let the shoulder heal properly. Then he can try to regain his strength at whatever natural rate his body allows.

I know a lot of people will be saying it was a big mistake taking him in the expansion draft but I disagree for several reasons. One is the fact that he is a class act and a great locker room presence. I'm sure all of our rook o-linemen benefit greatly just by listening to and being around one of the great tackles to have played this game.

Another is the fact that he gave us a sort of instant credibility when we selected him in the expansion draft. That was our first big splash and even if he ends up never playing a down for us I applaud Bob McNair for taking the chance on him.

But to me the most important reason is the one we sometimes forget. Even though they don't admit it publicly, there were deals made before the expansion with the Jaguars and Jets. Just as we took on the high dollar contacts of Glenn and Coleman to get Ryan Young we took Boselli to get Gary Walker(probably our best player on D) and Seth Payne. Where would our team be without all of those players? Getting beat 48-17 every week.

I hope Boselli comes back and dominates next year but even if he doesn't, it was a gamble worth taking.

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is a real shame.

I wonder if this changes the Texans draft plans for next season.

19. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I hope this situation does not hinder the Texans' draft plans next year, because even though they need a LT, this is still an expansion team with a lack of depth. So you still have to take the best player available (save for quarterbacks of course).

For instance, should the Texans get the #3 pick next year, and Charles Rogers of Michigan State is available, you have to take that guy. Unless the Texans receive a Godfather-type deal for their pick, you draft best player available, not for need. Once a team has established depth on its roster, then you draft for need.

I definitely hate to see this happen to an upstanding guy like Boselli, becasue no one deserves to have somehting they love taken away from them. Here's hoping that Boselli gets healthy and doesn't sustain any injuries that will hinder his future.

20. lpbman

lpbman Member

I disagree, I don't think the Texans can wait a few years to have a good offensive line

They will Break David Carr if he doesn't get some help on that line

If I were the Texans, I'd take a OT with my first rounder, RB a back with the second round pick (assuming the quality of backs doesn't drop too far) and maybe a tide end with my 3rd round pick

I might concider benching David Carr for the remainder of the season, so he doesn't die.... he's going to be sacked 80 times this season