1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Book Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by amaru, Feb 11, 2011.

1. amaru

amaru Member

I'm starting this thread because my collection of unread books is starting to run low (I only have one left....which I am currently reading) So I'm asking other members what books they are currently reading/have read and what they thought of them. Perhaps we can all find interesting books to read from this thread :grin:

Former Title: The Translator by Daoud Hari

This book is about the on going conflict in Darfur, a region in Sudan. Mr. Hari served as a translator for various media outlets who were documenting what was occurring in the region, with great risk to his life.

Would I suggest: Yes

Former Title: Custer Died for Your Sins by Vine Deloria Jr.

This book, written in the late 60's I believe, is about the history and the state of the Native American community of that time period. Deloria talks about the relationship between the Native American community and the U.S. government (Good, Bad and ugly) from the time period of European arrival to what was then the present day (when the book was finished). Deloria's wit, sarcasm, insight kept the book very interesting however he was scathing in some of his criticisms of those involved in the subjugation of the Native Americans.

Would I recommend: Yes

Former Title: A long way Gone by Ishmael Beah

This book was the autobiography of a former child soldier from Sierra Leone. It chronicles his transformation from a small child running from the war, to a child soldier and finally back into a child. Heart wrenching, but good.

Would I suggest: Some of Mr. Beah's stories are graphic but overall it is still a good book. May not be suitable for small children. I would recommend .

Former title: A lynching in the Heartland by James Madison

This book was about the tragic lynchings of two young African American men Tom Shipp and Abe Smith in Marion, Indiana on August 6-7, 1930. These young men were hung, without trial, for the alleged rape of a white woman and murder of a white man. The book also deals with the ramifications of this event on the history of the town, the state and the nation as a whole. A unique perspective is also provided by the third accused man James Cameron who was spared the fate of his two friends.

Would I suggest: Overall a very informative book, although I wouldn't suggest it for younger readers b/c there are photos of the crime in the book and they are not edited. So, Yes, but only for mature audiences.

Current title: Destined to Witness by Hans J. Massaquoi

Haven't finished this book yet, but it is an autobiography of an African man (his father was from Liberia) who grew up in Nazi Germany during WWII. It sheds light on another part of the holocaust caused by Hitler and Co. and it serves to dispel the notion that this holocaust was strictly a "Jewish Thing".

Would I Suggest: Will update when finished but as of right now....Yes :)

Your turn. :)

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What has Obama done to you? And why aren't you reading Glenn Beck books?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand what you're getting at but I think he put this in D&D because of the topics of the books. not sure though, maybe he can elaborate

4. amaru

amaru Member

Obama? :confused:

Who said anything about Obama? I'm simply presenting a list of books that I read and found interesting and asking others to do the same.

If you are not interested in doing what I asked, then I invite you to used the "Back" button located at the top of your browser to leave. :)

I'm not reading Glenn Beck's books because I honestly know nothing of the man.

But now that you have my attention, tell me B-Bob, why should I read books written by Glenn Beck?

Now is your chance to convince me :)

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

b-bob's comment is sarcasm; why did you put this thread in this forum is what he is questioning?

6. amaru

amaru Member

Yes, that is why I placed it here. However that is not what this thread has to be confined to. The original purpose of the thread was for members of this forum to post books that they have read and found interesting for others to see. By doing this, maybe another individual on the forum can find out about a book that they didn't know about and read it (This type of thread on another website is exactly how I found out about my current title)

I was originally going to post this in the "Hangout" and I almost did. However after reading the description of the Hangout (No race, politics, religion, etc.) I figured that that forum was not the proper place for this thread since some of the books I've read deal with that topic. So you are correct in that assumption. :)

However, I will say again that books posted in this thread can be on any topic. The only reason this thread is here is because of the subject manner in the books I have read.

7. amaru

amaru Member

See post #6

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry. For the record, I do not want to talk about Obama, and I do not want you to read any books allegedly "written" by Glenn Beck.

Thank you for sharing.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've never experienced a problem in Hangout discussing books, believe it or not. What you are doing is giving descriptions of the books and your recommendations. You aren't giving opinions about the content of the books. That would be something else altogether. What I've seen so far could certainly hangout in Hangout. :)

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What are your opinions on abortions in the free nation of Egypt?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

^^^

Took care of that!

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

This thread is on the identical subject matter and is still active, you may want to check it out.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Tallanvor, I do not like Yoo.

1 person likes this.
  15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Books suck!

16. amaru

amaru Member

Ah didn't see that.