1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bluetooth home speaker thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by B-Bob, Aug 23, 2021.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Smarter folks, would like your thoughts.

Am looking at some sound updates in the home. I am a little leery of things like Apple's Homepod b/c of them collecting data all the live long day. (Do not use Alexa, for example.) Being an oldster, I actually still have speaker wires run through the walls to the ideal speaker spots, but meh, I'm not that happy with the old speakers' sound these days, (yes, insert going deaf jokes. come at me). I'm either going to:

* replace the traditional speakers with some new bookshelf sorts,
    * go with some wireless speakers that are not also connected to the cloud, or
    * go with something like the homepods if one of y'all can convince me I'm not selling out the remainder of our conversant lives on this earth.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Companies like Bose have tons of wireless options over bluetooth (without any smart speaker capabilities). There should be plenty of options out there that don't require using Amazon, Apple, Google, etc..

B-Bob and Jontro like this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not able to offer much better about the technologies ….but I have a fairly straight forward system with a sound bar and bass setup that can be run through either Bluetooth or the optical cable and the optical cable provides much better, and louder, audio.

I’m sure if I had it all set up with surround sound then Bluetooth would be fine, but when I watch something via optical wire the sound fills the room much better. Like hard wire is 25-30, whereas if it’s going through Bluetooth it’s more in the 45 range

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Supermac34 and B-Bob like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That’s how the feds get you

Ubiquitin likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

i bought a super cheap blootueth one for my pc. the sound suxs.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I have a friend that has Sonos and they sound really good. Fills up a large room quite nicely. I personally have nice wired speakers throughout the house with a bluetooth receiver. For outside I'm content with my JBL charge and xtreme but I will to upgrade to something more permanent once the pool gets in and the backyard is done

B-Bob and Bono like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

These are wifi (not BT) but sound awesome. My understanding wifi will always sound better than bluetooth. These are hecka expensive though (powered though).

https://www.shop.us.kef.com/speaker...1BjZDJrWaKjm1vtoQjbUmq2c2eHBPsBgaAuG0EALw_wcB

I am seriously thinking of simplifying my meager home theater and switching to a soundbar. It will make SWMBO happy since there will only be one wire (cable between SB and TV) but no wires to sub or rears. From reviews I know there may be better sounding soundbars (Sennheiser Ambeo) but that is a significant amount more expensive.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/arc.html

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There are BT speakers that you can daisy chain. I saw some at Costco.

Always check https://www.monoprice.com/ for any AV or network needs.

TWS1986 and B-Bob like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks, everbuddy. Lots of good info to ponder — am not disappoint!

FrontRunner likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Sonos. Multiple speaker connectivity and excellent sound.

Ziggy and B-Bob like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I got so tired of dealing with speakers, wires and stereos/ etc I gave everything to charity a few years ago and got a decent soundbar with a bluetooth sub that is placed behind the couch for a simulated surround sound. Only classic equipment I kept is a turntable that I hooked up to the soundbar through a preamp.

13. Fantasma Negro

I bought a couple JBL Partybox 310s two downstairs, one in my bedroom and then I have 2 JBL Xtreme 2s, one in my bathroom and one in the garage (I move this one back and forth to the backyard when I'm grilling) and I connect everything with the jbl portable app. I find this is the cheapest way to have integrated sound throughout the house, or at least the areas of the house that I go. None are smart speakers or of the size of bookshelf speakers but jbl does have smaller sized speakers that can be connected and controlled through the jbl portable app. I think sonos has the same setup

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sounds like where I am at. I know there are less expensive soundbars (Vizio, Samsung, LG) that do a decent job. I have downsized from Vandersteen 2cs with B&K amp and preamp to Mirage AV500 and amp... one reason I am trying to simplify is that the universal remotes seem to struggle more and more with my setup (went from Harmony to a cheaper Sofabaton and I am to the point of getting rid of the AVR, blueray and simply stream music and watch TV/movies.

I would need to upgrade my AVR anyway, so spending a bit more on the soundbar (eg Sonos) would be OK.

Which soundbar did you go with?

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I got the $200 Vizio not sure what model but I've really enjoyed it -- the sub is small so you get a lot of mid range from it too so it's an excellent super cheap surround sim. For portable sound around the house I grabbed an Oontz pro - pretty amazing sound from such a tiny system.

TWS1986, B-Bob and NewRoxFan like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Bluetooth generally has mixed results with audiophile quality, though if you want something to fill the room and occasionally listen to a podcast and then a bt/wireless soundbar does the work and gives an instant boost with the TV.

The ones with ARC hdmi also allows your tv remote to take control of it.

KingCheetah and B-Bob like this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you do not want wires you HAVE to go with SONOS. Worth the premium - quality, adaptability, expandability & ease of use.

Not a requirement. But do pay extra for the sub.

ArtV, TWS1986 and B-Bob like this.
  18. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

19. Buck Turgidson

We all did, so did @B-Bob, he's just scared to admit it.

B-Bob and FrontRunner like this.
  20. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Love monoprice.