1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bloomberg: Asian Voters Send a Message to Republicans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BornTexan, Nov 8, 2012.

1. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-08/asian-voters-send-a-me

2. Nook

Nook Member

What amazes me is that Republicans are surprised by this. They are not and have not been the party of inclusion. All the code words spouted may not have been directed against Asians... but they are not anglo saxon and know they are not included in the neat little fallacy of 1950's America.

Republicans say that group X, Y or Z are not sophisticated voters, that they do not vote for their best interest..... but the truth is, the non ruling class is very knowledgeable of what the ruling class is saying and doing, they have to, and that is why in 2012 they voted for the President...... in 20 years? Who knows.....

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jewish voters also support Democrats/Obama by a similar margin, despite the GOP taking every opportunities to talk about how much they love Israel because of our Judeo-Christian heritage and what not. The GOP is largely a white Christian party and the rest of the folks are not fooled.

4. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

You would think Asians are a perfect voting block for the republicans: merit education, hard working, self reliance, libertarian ideas, family values.....

The fact is: the advancement of the Asians in the American society is largely limited by the elite white ruling class, and the exclusive nature of the stubborn religious cohort doesn't make it any better.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I known many Asians that are fiscal conservatives, but will never vote for Republican party as it stands today.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I must admit that I am surprised.

Most Asians I talk to seem rather uninterested in politics. I'm not talking about Desi or Arab asians, but the more South East Asian types. Perhaps they just don't like to give out their opinions.

Also, and not to be too overly stereotypical, a lot of engineering types don't seem to be that interested in politics.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

What amazes me is how well this caricature has come to be accepted.

Name one thing a Republican has ever said or done to disparage Asians.

Oh wait, I found one:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fG8RUP31oIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I'm sure the ad from that one Michigan republican didn't help.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f69VmIgmhOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Carl Herrera

You obviously are not familiar with the rules of politics. Joe Biden is exempt from taking flack for anything that he says because he is Joe Biden.

Also, Asian voters are not just listening to what the GOP says about Asians, but also what they say about immigrants in general, Latinos, Native Americans and African Americans, too.

#9 Carl Herrera, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. Commodore

but you're not fooled right?

11. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

The systematic oppression of the asians in the American mass media is sickly: whenever you see an Asians person's image appearing in TV ads, as news reporter or hollywood movies, it's a female. You seldomly see a normal Asian male representing the ideas behind or it's largely stereotyped. The reason is that the media maker believe that the Asian male image itself will not make the audiences comfortable, let alone with females of other races. It's almost a taboo.

It's a mixture of racism and sexism.

12. Carl Herrera

Fooled by what? Biden talking about there being a lot of Indians and Delaware and many of them run small businesses like 7-Eleven and Dunkin Donuts?

13. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

It's because they don't want to depend on politics or government for a living; they don't want to pay extra taxes to the government either. They're mainly the libertarian type, if they need a name for it.

14. Commodore

What do they say?

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL talk about stereotyping

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Republicans talk about fiscal conservative unless it is for defense spending, which they have a never ending thirst for.

They understand the need for things like social security and medicare, medicaid(most these are Chinese immigrants who have lived under conditions where these types of social welfare program did not exist, many still have to support their families back home (elder parents with no social security or medicare).

They want sensible reforms and not throw out the programs like many in the Republican party seem to favor.

On the social issues Republicans really turns them off, there should be no government intrusion in your life unless it is Republican values.

17. Carl Herrera

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r1XpAD8auCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kFcAzIWOHpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S38VioxnBaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r90z0PMnKwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shocking! Joe Biden says something stupid. Anyway he did say right at the end that 30% of the CEO's in Silicon Valley are Indian American.

19. Commodore

I see, that's what he meant when he said you can't go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. Makes sense.

If you think the GOP has something against Asians, you are fooled.

But it certainly works as a political strategy, casual maligning of others as racist without evidence. You can't argue with the results. Even a smart guy like yourself accepts such a lazy caricature.

20. Nook

Nook Member

You are the perfect example of what I am talking about. You are a bright guy, but your mindset is off.

The Republican party comes across as the party of rich, christian, white males that are not exactly tolerant ..... guess what, Asians see that, and they know they are not part of the "in crowd" and vote for Obama.