1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers edge mailbag - "Asik and Aldridge"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by megastahr, Jul 12, 2013.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I was reading through one of the Portland Trailblazers beat writers mailbag. He was talking about Lamarcus Aldridge trades, and Omer Asik trades as separate topics.

He kind of ties the two together at the end, but I don't think he even saw how perfect the match is both from what the Blazers are attempting to do and for the Rockets.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/7/1...ree-agents-omer-asik-2014-nba-draft-cap-space

Here is the part I found most interesting:

"3. The move they're telegraphing: trading away LaMarcus Aldridge, his enormous contract, and his enormous cap hold in 2015 so cap space opens up around these other players...the only explanation that really makes sense.

The 2015 contract line-up is the second sign, along with the caliber and age of this year's acquisitions, that the Blazers are shifting into rebuild mode. It also shows you where they'll probably go with an Aldridge trade, not seeking equal talent and experience in return but going with younger, cheaper players and/or draft picks."

He states that everything is pointing to Blazers moving Aldridge, and what they are looking for fits what we have to offer PERFECTLY.

Then on Asik...fans were asking him if a trade of T-rob and Lopez get a deal done. lol

The part I found interesting was this:

"His contract expires in 2015. That's a positive. But he'd create a cap hold, albeit not as egregious as Aldridge's. He's 27, not a bad age..."

Then after a long explanation of why the rockets probably would not do a deal for Lopez and other assets. He makes this statement:

"I'd be surprised if the Blazers ended up trading for Asik unless he was part of a package of assets acquired in exchange for Aldridge himself."

So watching what our team is doing after acquiring Howard. We chose not to pursue a sign and trade for a top player, nor attempt to add a veteran with a large contract to fill the need at PF.

The Blazers are rebuilding with youth, and targeting 2015 free agency. They are in need of a center both for now, and in the future. Asik's is a free agent in 2015 which lines up perfectly with their goals.

He said himself that the blazers will not seek equal value in return from an Aldridge trade in terms of talent and experience. But they will look to acquire draft picks and younger, cheaper players.

Blazers can have some serious cap space for 2015. They will be set up much like we were this year. With Lillard and Batum as the potential stars under contract with C.J. McCollum as the possible Chandler Parsons type role. Nearly everyone outside of Lillard, CJ, and Batum will expire in 2015.

They need to trade Aldridge because in 2015 he will receive a max contract, and that combined with his age does not quite fit with the direction the blazers are moving in. He is not old, but his prime is right now. They need to target a MAX free agent, whose age lines up better with Batum and Lillard (24 and 22).

Asik would be a perfect fit for them until 2015, and with his cap hold being half of Aldridge's cap hold. This would allow them to still target top free agents, while being young enough for him to be part of their plans moving forward.

I do feel that the rockets might need to package either several of our picks, or a player and picks to a 3rd team to get a higher value draft pick to add to the trade proposal. But with everything I am reading from both sides, this is a perfect match. I predict that before the trade deadline this year Aldridge will be a Rocket.

So do not expect Asik being moved for anyone until this scenario plays out or expect us to take on any long term contracts for vets. You will see Morey trying to work magic with players on min salaries.

This will then allows us to go into the following off season with all of our exceptions and plenty of room under the luxury tax to add vets much like you see the Clippers and Nets doing.

Just my take, but I thought I would share.

#1 megastahr, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

We need DMo or TJones to take a big step forward, to pair with Asik in the trade, if we want a realistic shot at LMA.

3. megastahr

Yah I agree ... now until the trade deadline will be all about showcasing those two. That is why I bet you don't see the rockets trying to fill the starting PF spot with a vet.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Aldridge would be nice. I agree that we will know more at the trade deadline.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Didnt read your thoughts because it was too long but Aldrige would be a nice fit. Not sure if getting Lamarcus hurts us in re-signing Chandler though

6. A00man

A00man Member

I'll do back flips if we get Aldridge on this team. We'd be legitimate contenders with that lineup.

7. megastahr

lol

here ill sum it up for you.

Blazers want cap space, and younger players to make a legit run in 2015. They want Asik. (fits contract, age and position needs)

Rockets want to add 3rd max...and wont do anything to jeopardize that until this situation plays out. (like SNT for josh smith)

That is all :p

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm not overly sure why Portland want to go into the season with Aldridge.

From their perspective if they do that trade. I could then see them say moving Asik and Matthews for Bynum (who will probably be out by then) and Waiters. It would upgrade them at sg going forward, get Cleveland into the playoffs that they're desperately trying to do in order to lure Lebron back (and give them a long term center, Varejao isn't much healthier than Bynum), and make Portland bad enough to have a good shot at Riggin' for Wiggins.

There are teams that could obviously trump us, but they're teams like Chicago who have basically put the assets that could (such as Noah) into the N O basket (and tbh, if I was Chicago, the only guys I'd trade Noah for are Howard and Marc (unless we're talking Lebron/Durant level talents), defensive centers really are worth that much)

#8 Aleron, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Good post and it makes a lot of sense.

You have to worry about other teams trumping our offer. But it all makes sense.

10. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Insert Ron Paul.

Man that would be sick if we can get LA, I'm salivating thinking about that lineup going to war with Miami or smashing the Spurs.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If the blazers were willing to give up Aldridge for Asik and fillers, it would have happened by now. They want more than Asik and unfortunately we already gave them our best young asset not named Parsons for 2 second round picks.

BTW: Asik and Aldridge are the same age. I just don't see why they would give Aldridge unless he demanded it.

12. sammy

Two can play this game. If they had a better offer that they liked, it would have already happened.

There are only a few teams that LMA will re-sign with. He's at that point in his career where he wants to win. It's usually when the player can become a UFA for the first time basically (someone else posted this recently too).

Teams won't be willing to give up that much if they know he'll bounce in 2015. Asik's 8M cap hit is pretty attractive.

13. megastahr

You do realize that teams desperate for a center, and an impact player did not even make Bynum an offer right? Bynums health uncertainty and work ethic is probably not something Portland is NOT looking to get involved with. Asik is the exact opposite of Bynum. Asik would be great for a young team to learn how to play the game the right way.

Adding Bynum to a young roster is desperation, and not something a team going out of its way to do its rebuilding the RIGHT way would consider. I do not believe at least.

I do agree some teams "could" trump us. But how many of them are in a possible contending situation that would feel they could "keep" Aldridge after acquiring him in trade?

You remember how little Howard got in trade because of that. I would say realistically only 5 or 6 teams could even be in play in this scenario. Hopefully, Jones and D-Mo really increase their trade value between now and trade deadline.

Thank you...just curious. What other teams/offers do you think would trump what we could offer?

For example: Asik, Jones and/or D-mo, 2014 first rd pick and 2016 first round pick. (and the rights to many foreign players)

Just curious on that cause I couldn't think of any that I thought would actually be in play for Aldridge off the top of my head.

14. sammy

Asik just turned 27 and has hardly any NBA miles. How old was Scola when he got here?

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That is my point. Aldridge is staying until Portland has no other choice but to trade. That won't happen this year.

16. sammy

Once they suck again, it'll happen. Maybe not to us but LMA will be traded.

To add to mega's last post...that's exactly what I'm thinking. Asik/Jones/(players not named Parsons that Blazers covet), 2014/2016 first rounders, multiple second rounders we own is not a bad offer.

Players like Pau and VC have been traded for less.

17. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Aldridge is a better all around player to me than Dwight..More of a offensive threat..

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Cap hit or not, I don't think Portland wants to pay that $14M poison pill to Asik in 2014-15.

19. megastahr

Well if you would have read ; )

It’s not the AGE alone that is Portland’s problem. It’s the fact that the combination of his age and the fact that he will demand a max contract in 2015. These two factors do not fit the age the other star player’s prime, and the youth direction the team is heading in.

Asik has half the salary as LMA, and half the cap hold in 2015. This will be extremely important going into the 2015 free agency.

20. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

It's a game of chess and Morery is the undisputed master. He is patiently waiting to pounce.

1 person likes this.