1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons causes Magic Johnson to leave ESPN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by VBG, Oct 10, 2013.

1. VBG

VBG Member

I think most of us agree that the NBA countdown show was absolutely awful. Magic really was an obnoxious NBA commentator and a Laker homer. He honestly talked like he watched 2 games a week and just assumed he could get away with everything.

And Bill Simmons was vocal about the show being garbage. And apparently he has enough influence to try and improve the show and get rid of Magic. I absolutely think this will create a better show but I dunno if casual fans will be happy

Link to Deadspin article

1 person likes this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yet another reason Bill Simmons is awesome. Magic was horrible.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

After he retires in February 2014, the Shadow President needs to add David Stern to the show.

4. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Chances I won't use the halftime break to use the restroom or get some food increased upwards of 10%.

I loved Magic's insight. He was very in depth and informative while not being at all boring. - Nobody

1 person likes this.
  5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Good decision. Bill is entertaining.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Name a 4 man panel for that show that you would want to see:

Scott Van Pelt
    Jalen Rose
    Bill Simmons
    and... dare I say it?
    Stephen A Smith

7. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Your telling me Bill Simmons has power decisions over Magic Johnson? No matter that show sucks. Bill Simmons should've never been hired, let alone be in a power position.

2 people like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBA Countdown somehow got worse.

Bill Simmons
    Jalen Rose
    Doug Collins

Yikes! Yuck!

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Good, Magic Johnson was horrible.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Pretty good list. You even got Pelt who is a good intro guy. Nicely done sir.

11. arjun

arjun Member

yea..therrible

12. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

magic johnson as an analyst was really only great when the lakers were relevant

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Magic Johnson is terrible at TV. Michael Jordan is a terrible team owner. Elgin Baylor was a horrible GM. Just because you are great at playing professional basketball, doesn't mean we should be forced to watch you when you retire.

1 person likes this.
  14. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

+ Doris Burke

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yup, Burke on Wednesdays.

Back to the drawing board! Ha.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You forgot Clyde.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The best part of the CSN fiasco is that fewer people are forced to watch Clyde on television. At least he's not inflicted on a national audience.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good. I am sick and tired of ESPN "analysts" not challenging the writers canned discussions that everyone outside of LA and NY is sick of hearing about. Simmons & Jalen can make an analysis of the Kings entertaining.... even if its just mainly for comedic purposes.

Magic, while his NBA pedigree should never be challenged, added very little to the show IMO. His responses were so over-diplomatic that he added very little insight. If you can't offer an opinion, at least be funny... Your not running for President or anything Magic.

Here is the typical Magic response to a question-

Wilbon- "Are the Lakers going to trade their core & rebuild or are will they continue to hold onto Kobe in this later years"

Magic- "Kobe is one of the greatest players of all time. I love Dr. Buss. The Lakers are the greatest franchises is sports.... they will get over this hurdle and continue to compete for titles"

Simmons- .... smiles and says .. "I'm just happy that they suck cause I'm a Celtics fan. I hope they play sign Kobe again for 40 mil a year and have to keep surrounding him with trash like Nick Young for the next 20 years"

Magic- .... looks flabbergasted "uhh....uhh... well Bill.... uhhh"

19. moose

moose Member

Good. Magic absolutely terrible. Simmons was the only one who sounded like he actually watched league pass.

1 person likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

However, Doris Burke... who knows her basketball has never shown me that she can be anything more than a ESPN elementary basketball mouthpiece. Hopefully getting her around the table with Bill & Jalen loosens her up a little bit so she can show a little personality & opinion.

If they wanted to put a woman on the show with Jalen and Bill, my first thought would be Cheryl Miller. She knows her BBall and isn't afraid to have a little fun as well on camera.