1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien may select starting QB before training camp

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Go to sleep, Bobby.

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If it's not Mallett I will cry.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If Mallett can't beat out Hoyer, he doesn't deserve the job.

I believe OB is going to give the job to the guy who deserves it, earns it, and gives us the best chance to win.

We know Hoyer isn't a long term solution. Mallett probably isn't either but at least there's a sliver of hope.

If Mallett doesn't win the job, I'm not going to be upset because he didn't win it. I'll be disappointed that he wasn't good enough to beat out Hoyer and whatever chance he had of being a legit starter would be pretty much gone.

But I'm not going to be upset that a guy who wasn't good enough to beat out Brian Hoyer isn't our starting QB. Basically, if he can't even beat out Hoyer then I don't want him starting anyway.

4. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

If Mallett is the starter they are in worse trouble.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hopefully it's Mallett.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't paid much attention but I happened to catch a radio clip and someone said Hoyer has looked better thus far. Granted, that doesn't mean much at this point, but the key word I heard was accuracy. Mallets Achilles heel has always been his lack of accuracy throwing the ball. Heck, even in his "good" game last year he was pretty erratic on some throws and dodge a couple of bullets.

I've never been high on Mallet and I never understood how faith in him...wish for the best but expect the worst has been my motto. But when you're not an accurate quarterback you're not going to be a very good one.

I don't think Savage will get the job but I am curious to see his progress because I do think he showed some promise

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Just because you pick a No 1 QB before/during camp doesn't mean you can't change your mind during camp.

8. Mr. Clutch

Or during the season for that matter

9. Mr. Clutch

SOTT: HOUSTON TEXANS OTAS: QBS FRONT AND CENTER

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1553162-houston-texans-otas-qbs-front-and-center

The Houston Texans wrapped up their seventh day of OTAs

Quarterback Update

The ongoing discussion of the offseason continues to be the point of interest during practices. Today provided some hot and cold moments on the field.

Brian Hoyer has a firm grasp of the offense and it shows with his pre-snap reads, calling out protections. He is strong when passing to the middle of the field and continues to be steady throwing the football. He has some moments when his passes are too high for receivers but his grasp of the offense will keep him in the discussion for the starting spot.

Ryan Mallett started out cold throwing the football, but as practice progressed to 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s, he transformed into a different quarterback. He looked comfortable throwing crossing routes and hitting players in stride, with small passing windows. One thing Mallett has to work on is his footwork and being able to move his feet after his first read is not there. Mallett looks good in his initial read but when he has to come off to his second and third reads, his feet get lazy and he tends to throw with nothing but upper body. His arm strength will carry him through at times but he has to tighten up his footwork as training camp arrives.

Tom Savage has no doubt improved as a player from his rookie season, specifically his understanding of the offense and pre-snaps reads. The one thing that Savage is still working on is improving how well he throws the football and he is still trying to develop the touch needed to succeed at the NFL level. Savage has to be able to produce at a high level, completing passes to his receivers during OTAs, which O’Brien calls a passing camp, but that still seems to be eluding him at the moment. Another thing that Savage needs to work on is not leading his receivers into potential big hits by defenders waiting in their area. If there was contact on the field there is a good chance that a few receivers would have been run into punishing hits trying to come down with some of Savage's throws.

10. Buck Turgidson

Is that all? Great news!

1 person likes this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. tdo

tdo Member

We don't know that Hoyer is that bad of a QB. I mean who can honestly look at a QBs time at Cleveland, and say he struggled there, so he is just terrible QB. Cleveland is a dumpster fire of no talent on offense, and has not had a QB have a good season since I can remember. Hoyer actually had more impressive moments than any of their top draft pick QBs have had in the last 15 years. What I do know is that Hoyer led them to their best 9 game start since 1994. He had some good games and then collapsed down the stretch, as did the rest of the team.

I don't think he is the answer to getting to the Super Bowl or anything, but I think if Bob does decide to roll with him, that he will be just as good if not better than Fitz was last year. Enough to remain competitive and possibly make the playoffs as a wildcard team.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

LOL. Missed this gem. Good stuff.

Poor Texans forum. Y u suck nao?

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You say we can't hold a QBs play against him because he was playing for the Browns, but who was the last QB who got out of Cleveland and did well?

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

vinny testaverde

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jeff Garcia & Bruce Gradkowski :)

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's worth noting that QB careers rarely recover from going to a crap organization.

The only guys I've seen in my lifetime who had mid-career renaissances after getting out of a bad situation are Kurt Warner, Doug Williams, and maybe Rich Gannon/Kerry Collins.

18. Buck Turgidson

Steve Young is the poster boy.

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

He's a curious case, because it's not like he went to a mediocre franchise and excelled. He took over a juggernaut.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>“I think this thing goes into training camp. Allow this to play out a little bit."MORE: <a href="http://t.co/m6Fh2YEsxA" title="http://bit.ly/1OCXgzW" org_href="http://bit.ly/1OCXgzW">bit.ly/1OCXgzW</a> <a href="http://t.co/ffKdKm6gZ6" title="http://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/626550303328841728/photo/1" org_href="http://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/626550303328841728/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/ffKdKm6gZ6</a></p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/626550303328841728" data-datetime="2015-07-29T19:30:07+00:00">July 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>